Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I see Klopp has issued a 'come and get me' to PL clubs.

Can't help but think he will end up at City in the summer, with Arsenal missing out on a manager they should have targeted to succeed Wenger.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far is Wenger from leaving though? They've been stuck going nowhere for years now. At first you'd think it was the lack of transfer activity but they've spent heavily in the last couple of years. Depends on if they're happy with a cup every few years.

Yup, you have to wonder when the right he has earned - to decide for himself when he leaves - end. He was so forward thinking when he came to the PL, introduced British football to a continental, 21st century style of play. Mad to think that it has become outdated. Too stubborn to accept that football has adapted and moved on since his traditional 'Wenger' tactics were at the forefront.

The quality of their team has dipped severely since their peak, you have to question how much of that is down to Wenger's stubbornness, or whether it's the sensible financial stewardship that ultimately has prevented them from competing for anything major of recent times. They've never replaced Fabregas.

Failed to take their chances yesterday, and its difficult for anyone to win the league against the spending power of man citeh and chelsea. But he does seem to target the wrong sort of player in most windows. His acheivements in the first half of his reign turned Arsenal into the elite club in one of Europe's biggest cities though. His acheievments built the fabulous new stadium. Thats why he should get to choose when to go. And apparently theres a new contract waiting to be signed so they gooners may have to lump it for a little while longer.

I dont think its as simple as that. He's the kind of player who needs to have a completely free role. You cant have more than one like that in a team. Arsenal have tried to play him and the likes of Cazorla and Wilshere alongside him who like the same role with the result there always seem to be gaping holes for opponents to exploit. At Real Ozil had the likes of Alonso and Khedira doing the dirty work. At Arsenal there's noone. He's not the Sanchez type of player who'll run his socks off and be a nuisance no matter where he plays. More of a luxury player who needs to play in a certain way to be dangerous.

6) Is Newcastle’s academy England’s brightest production line?

Mike Ashley is big on self-sufficiency – so big indeed that Newcastle’s owner insisted a bore hole was drilled at the training ground in order to save on water bills. This aspect of his character has been a driver in Ashley’s determination to transform the club’s once fairly moribund academy into an efficient, money-saving, homegrown hero-creating, production line. Finally this vision appears to be springing into life. Recent academy graduates Paul Dummett, Rolando Aarons, Sammy Ameobi, Mehdi Abedi and Adam Armstrong all feature in Alan Pardew’s first team plans while Remi Streete made the bench for Saturday’s home win against QPR. With Peter Beardsley’s Under-21 side currently top of their league – and what a masterstroke Beardsley’s promotion to development squad manager is proving – Newcastle suddenly looks the perfect destination for talented teenagers. As Pardew – whose first-team coach, Steve Stone, spends countless hours helping the Dummetts, Aarons and Abeids bridge the gap between Beardsley’s brigade and the first team – puts it: “The chain of development can turn a good club into a great one which is something we’re all working hard to achieve at Newcastle United.” Louise Taylor

:huh:

She maybe jumping the gun a bit there like, but I read her every week and ignoring her history with us she's a pretty fair commentator on NUFC as we sit here in 2014 iyam. As I say she's premature with her praise but there are signs that the youth policy may be baring fruit.

A lot of the youth players she mentioned we signed though, they're hardly the fruits of investment in the academy.

To be fair, those young players we signed were "one for the future" so it does support her claim*.

* I don't agree with her claim.

To be fair, those young players we signed were "one for the future" so it does support her claim*.

* I don't agree with her claim.

investment in the academy is without question a good thing but there's not much of an article to be written about its success when its best graduates have been poached from other clubs.