Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

:lol:

I just can't dislike Joey Barton...

Had a conversation about that last night my mate said he couldn't stand him. Putting out a cigar in someones eye, getting locked up, some of his embrassing political spouting etc put forward as reasons. But photos like that just put all of the other things firmly to one side for me :D

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been more angry with any Newcastle player than I was when Barton got sent off at Anfield a month before we were relegated, took Alonso out two footed on Alonsos own goal line. Hed had a year our with prison and injuries then comes into the side, actually improves us, then does that and is suspended for the last three games of the season. Then opens a Twitter account to engineer a move out of the club. In a game full of chancers, bullshitters,gobshites and amoral self centered cunts in general he truly is undisputedly the biggest fucknut out there.

Agreed - plus he seems to have retained a soft spot for our fanbase, which I approve of.

And he was an integral part of that 4-4 against Arsenal which may have been one of my favourite games of the last few years.

No amount of fake posturing redeems him to me. He's a fuckin fraud iyam. He engineered his exit himself a few months after the 4-4 then runs around the SOS last night as if he's one of us? Hes pulled the wool over a lot of eyes seemingly.

Think he's redeemed himself since then, I find it hard to dislike anybody that was part of our promotion season - loved that team.

He started 7 league games that season (and had another appearance as sub). :lol:

What's your point?

He didn't contribute much that season. In fact there was only one season (the one after that) when he did. I wouldn't go along with PL 100% but I find his 'cult' status amongst our fans a bit odd. We got one good season out of a five year contract. I think he's quite amusing in some of his more outspoken comments but he is a bit of a fraud. Particularly in his attempts to come across as an intellectual ( :lol: ) and not least in his attempt to make people think he's not the money grabbing bastard he so clearly is. Perhaps 'delusional' is more correct. It made me sick to see the fans giving him such an ovation at Steve Harper's game (relative to people who actually had made a major contribution to the club).

No amount of fake posturing redeems him to me. He's a fuckin fraud iyam. He engineered his exit himself a few months after the 4-4 then runs around the SOS last night as if he's one of us? Hes pulled the wool over a lot of eyes seemingly.

The club behaved appallingly that summer, especially with Nolan. He was an immensely popular captain and I don't think Barton did much wrong. He could have stayed for the last year of his deal and probably be released or insulted by the terms of a new deal (like Nolan was) The fact that he'd have been a year older the following summer coupled with his reputation etc he'd have been taking a huge risk staying here given the deal QPR were offering.

He didn't contribute much that season. In fact there was only one season (the one after that) when he did. I wouldn't go along with PL 100% but I find his 'cult' status amongst our fans a bit odd. We got one good season out of a five year contract. I think he's quite amusing in some of his more outspoken comments but he is a bit of a fraud. Particularly in his attempts to come across as an intellectual ( :lol: ) and not least in his attempt to make people think he's not the money grabbing bastard he so clearly is. Perhaps 'delusional' is more correct. It made me sick to see the fans giving him such an ovation at Steve Harper's game (relative to people who actually had made a major contribution to the club).

I think the way he's spoken out against the way the club is run has increased his popularity for sure, as well as how much he winds other club's fans up. It's not that odd.

I think the way he's spoken out against the way the club is run has increased his popularity for sure, as well as how much he winds other club's fans up. It's not that odd.

Aye, his position amongst the fans is more or less purely down to that as opposed to anything he achieved on the pitch. If that's not an odd way to judge a player, I don't know what is.

Through injury, he was still a big personality in that squad though. More cliquey than Toontastic

Aye he was injury prone throughout his career here (bar one season). The amount of influence he had on the side that year is conjecture.

Edited by Alex

It made me sick to see the fans giving him such an ovation at Steve Harper's game (relative to people who actually had made a major contribution to the club).

Aye I felt the same way although not because of anything against Barton but as you say others deserved so much more. But I think that's as much to do with the short memories of a lot of our fans and the lack of respect the club gives to our history these days.

With regards to the promotion season, Barton may not have played a great deal but I do think he was important as one of the players (like Harper, Nolan, Butt etc) who stood up to be counted after the relegation. If not for them we most likely wouldn't have acheived promotion.

I'm sure I read that he was a leading figure in the whole "if you don't want to be here, fuck off" movement after we went down. I think there was plenty being reported in the media at the time to suggest that he was a leading influence in the dressing room as well.

I seem to remember it being Butt, Nolan and Smith tbh. I think too much was made of it anyway and it fit the media narrative of Chris Hughton being the quiet type who let his players manage themselves. Either way the only true measure of an influential player is what they do on the pitch.

Aye I felt the same way although not because of anything against Barton but as you say others deserved so much more. But I think that's as much to do with the short memories of a lot of our fans and the lack of respect the club gives to our history these days.

With regards to the promotion season, Barton may not have played a great deal but I do think he was important as one of the players (like Harper, Nolan, Butt etc) who stood up to be counted after the relegation. If not for them we most likely wouldn't have acheived promotion.

I don't really have a problem with him, beyond his seeming to think he's more down to earth than other footballers when he's pretty much the same as most iyam. He can be very funny though. He only thinks he's clever because he picked up a couple of books (much like Tony Adams did) when he stopped spending most of his spare time getting pissed. Fair play but he's hardly Jacques Derrida (although he seems to think repeating famous quotes makes him so).

As for his influence in the dressing room, if you're going to take the media reports about that at their word then you also have to accept its true he was allowed to tear up his contract for being a bad influence at the start of 2011-12 (and the months preceding that), since the same papers were reporting as much then too. As I alluded to before, one good season (which was a long way from paying back the faith the club had shown in him) and he seemed to think he was untouchable. I do take the point about him hanging around but so did plenty other senior pros who gave more before then and have done since.

As for his influence in the dressing room, if you're going to take the media reports about that at their word then you also have to accept its true he was allowed to tear up his contract for being a bad influence at the start of 2011-12 (and the months preceding that)

The 'bad influence' at the time was down to speaking out against the hierarchy though, wasn't it? Something most can't hold against him.

I don't really have a problem with him, beyond his seeming to think he's more down to earth than other footballers when he's pretty much the same as most iyam. He can be very funny though. He only thinks he's clever because he picked up a couple of books (much like Tony Adams did) when he stopped spending most of his spare time getting pissed. Fair play but he's hardly Jacques Derrida (although he seems to think repeating famous quotes makes him so).

As for his influence in the dressing room, if you're going to take the media reports about that at their word then you also have to accept its true he was allowed to tear up his contract for being a bad influence at the start of 2011-12 (and the months preceding that), since the same papers were reporting as much then too. As I alluded to before, one good season (which was a long way from paying back the faith the club had shown in him) and he seemed to think he was untouchable. I do take the point about him hanging around but so did plenty other senior pros who gave more before then and have done since.

I guess I would say he's a tosser but just one I have a bit of time for, as I for me the things that he has in his favour outweigh the cuntish things against him. I'm not mad on him and I can see his faults though.

I certainly agree that the image that people seem to have that he did great things on the pitch for us is misguided to say the least. In the end he got more out of the club than he put in. I suppose I don't feel that it was entirely his fault though (obviously being unable to play while he was locked up was totally his fault).

The 'bad influence' at the time was down to speaking out against the hierarchy though, wasn't it? Something most can't hold against him.

Not according to the papers. You can't have it both ways.