Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose he lives or dies on whether he considers blacks Italian or not. He could have a sort of point saying youth teams have too many foreigners at the expense of Italian born kids but the latter can obviously include all colours..

''I always coached teams with different colours and I bought many, both at Milan and at Madrid.

I just wanted to point out that we are losing our national pride and identity''

Can he not see the irony? He's quite happy filling his teams with foreigners when it suits him

Edited by TheRollingStones

I suppose he lives or dies on whether he considers blacks Italian or not. He could have a sort of point saying youth teams have too many foreigners at the expense of Italian born kids but the latter can obviously include all colours..

Luis Aragones was exactly the same at Real Madrid, but hey was Gazza not? When I was a bairn he bought Tony Cunningham our striker sunbed sessions for christmas.

Luis Aragones was exactly the same at Real Madrid, but hey was Gazza not? When I was a bairn he bought Tony Cunningham our striker sunbed sessions for christmas.

Was reading up about him when he died last year. Never realised what a good player he was. Aragones, not Tony Cunningham ;)

Does that make Gazza a racist? While it's clearly a joke based on TC's colour (and in that sense could be considered the very definition of racism), if it was just mates carrying on it could be considered that race wasn't an issue between them and they were both comfortable with that sort of craic with each other. Of course I have no idea of how Cunningham took it.

Sacchi's comment seems to have been an attempt to say there are too many foreign players in the youth teams over there which is fair enough but he has certainly worded it in a way that makes him look racist.

Does that make Gazza a racist? While it's clearly a joke based on TC's colour (and in that sense could be considered the very definition of racism), if it was just mates carrying on it could be considered that race wasn't an issue between them and they were both comfortable with that sort of craic with each other. Of course I have no idea of how Cunningham took it.

Sacchi's comment seems to have been an attempt to say there are too many foreign players in the youth teams over there which is fair enough but he has certainly worded it in a way that makes him look racist.

Cunningham took it well but that was 1986 87 time, and in those days racism was no where near as widely reported and cited as it is today.

Cunningham took it well but that was 1986 87 time, and in those days racism was no where near as widely reported and cited as it is today.

Aye that's a fair point. But it's certainly possible that there was genuinely no issue. A couple of years ago I used to work with a couple of muslims and I was winding one of them up during Ramadan about going out for a pizza during the day and he would take the piss out of me about being pasty and such like. It is possible for colleagues/mates to be able to joke about race with each other without any offence being intended or taken.

Sacchi is suffering from big Ron syndrome...loves a black lad when it suits him but still sees black folk in general as second class people.

Agreed, this is how it comes across for me as well. I can see what he thinks he was trying to say, but the way he's said it leaves very little room for misinterpretation.

Edited by Rayvin

Aye that's a fair point. But it's certainly possible that there was genuinely no issue. A couple of years ago I used to work with a couple of muslims and I was winding one of them up during Ramadan about going out for a pizza during the day and he would take the piss out of me about being pasty and such like. It is possible for colleagues/mates to be able to joke about race with each other without any offence being intended or taken.

Used to work with a lad who was a practising Muslim (fistful of beard, prayer breaks, lock, stock, the lot), but who'd happily introduce himself to new staff by saying " I'm Ahmed, but you can call me Bomber" and whenever he took leave he'd say he's off to Pakistan, for "training".

Context is king.

Used to work with a lad who was a practising Muslim (fistful of beard, prayer breaks, lock, stock, the lot), but who'd happily introduce himself to new staff by saying " I'm Ahmed, but you can call me Bomber" and whenever he took leave he'd say he's off to Pakistan, for "training".

Context is king.

My point entirely.

Sacchi is suffering from big Ron syndrome...loves a black lad when it suits him but still sees black folk in general as second class people.

Clearly didn't feel the same way about Desailly mind ;)