Pardew aiming for Europe (7th)

toonotl

In one of Lee Ryders pieces today, he says that winning the Europa gets the club an extra 9 million.

But that into transfer context and its not a great deal really is it and explains why its a bigger thing for fans than owners.

Saying all that Pardew is right to focus on looking upwards.

I would rather he is motivating them with a push for Europe than looking over their shoulders at relegation. Mindsets and all that.

What? if you consider that our club is worth, say, £100m, being in the Europa League for one season is worth just under a tenth of the clubs total value. It also puts the club into a different bracket in terms of attracting new players and/or securing contract extensions for existing players. Given the apathy that fans appear to show the Europa League, when you're talking about attendances, I'd say it's a bigger thing for owners than fans.

I think the 9m is only if you win it. You get fuck all for playing six rounds against Viking FC in Iceland or whatever. iirc it takes ages to get to a meaningful match and you need a decent squad to cope with all the travelling and injuries. For fuck all money basically unless you get to the latter stages.

I was thinking it would be a sum accrued by progressing through the stages, the league position payment, the tv cash and sundries

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking it would be a sum accrued by progressing through the stages, the league position payment, the tv cash and sundries

9m extra is not a figure to scoff at.

I'm not one of those who buys into being in Europe being a massive hindrance to the premier league season. You have a full summer to prepare for it, and 9 million is enough to bring in one good player or two decent ones even allowing for wages. Being in Europe should also make us slightly more appealing to players, instead of being just another of the mid-table rabble. The extra players will provide additional cover across the premier league season.

All said and done though I don't realistically see us finishing 7th.

9m extra is not a figure to scoff at.

I'm not one of those who buys into being in Europe being a massive hindrance to the premier league season. You have a full summer to prepare for it, and 9 million is enough to bring in one good player or two decent ones even allowing for wages. Being in Europe should also make us slightly more appealing to players, instead of being just another of the mid-table rabble. The extra players will provide additional cover across the premier league season.

All said and done though I don't realistically see us finishing 7th.

Yes but you don't get 9m unless you win it, that's the point. What CT is saying is that as an owner you might have to outlay upfront for extra players, with no guarantee of winning the comp, plus you have to pay extra win bonuses etc as you progress. if your league position slips because the players are knackered/injured/suspended or whatever from Europ trips, then you have to knock that off as well. the spin off benefits of TV and merchandising etc are going to be fuck all unless you get right to the end too.

So from an owner's perspective it's possibly not that appealing. Speculative outlay which might not be recouped if you get knocked out in the 4th round or whatever. Not that we have an owner who would buy extra players as an investment so it's all academic anyway.

I agree we'd be a more attractive club for being in Europe. Plus I agree 7th is unlikely.

Should be substantial financial benefit from the home games alone. Even if the figure is only a maximum of 9m there's some value in the appeal of being in Europe for both keeping hold of talented players and attracting new ones in. It should also provide more motivation in general to expand on the size of our squad, something we've been calling for for years.

This made me curious about final position from a financial point of view;

Prize Money for the 2009/2010 Premier League Season.

1. Chelsea - £16,000,000

2. Manchester United - £15,200,000

3. Arsenal - £14,400,000

4. Totenham Hotspur - £13,600,000

5. Manchester City - £12,800,000

6. Aston Villa - £12,000,000

7. Liverpool - £11,200,000

8. Everton - £10,400,000

9. Birmingham - £9,600,000

10. Blackburn - £8,800,000

11. Stoke - £8,000,000

12. Fulham - £7,200,000

13. Sunderland - £6,400,000

14. Bolton - £5,600,000

15. Wolves - £4,800,000

16. Wigan - £4,000,000

17. West Ham - £3,200,000

18. Burnley - £2,400,000

19. Hull - £1,600,000

20. Portsmouth - £800,000

£800k between places consistently, if we can get into the top half then that's a decent wedge. Does anyone know what we got for winning the Championship? Had a quick Google and the range of answers is £50k up to £2million..

European nights at St. James are special and without wanting to sound cheesy, it's where Newcastle belong! If we have a chance to get into the europa then we should go for it!

Plenty on here say we will never get into the Champions League again because of the wealth involved in England and a reluctant to spend owner yet some people are turning their nose up at the europa league!? it really does beggar belief! Do some users REALLY want us to sit mid table doing absolutely nothing next season over a European campaign!?

I'd hazard a guess that those who do are the same ones who encourage the club to play fringe players and kids in cup games! If that's the case what the hell is the future of NUFC!?

Can we get europa league? of course, but I don't think we will, if we get three wins from our next 3 games that puts us in a good position mind!

European nights at St. James are special and without wanting to sound cheesy, it's where Newcastle belong! If we have a chance to get into the europa then we should go for it!

Plenty on here say we will never get into the Champions League again because of the wealth involved in England and a reluctant to spend owner yet some people are turning their nose up at the europa league!? it really does beggar belief! Do some users REALLY want us to sit mid table doing absolutely nothing next season over a European campaign!?

I'd hazard a guess that those who do are the same ones who encourage the club to play fringe players and kids in cup games! If that's the case what the hell is the future of NUFC!?

Can we get europa league? of course, but I don't think we will, if we get three wins from our next 3 games that puts us in a good position mind!

Eh????

In one of Lee Ryders pieces today, he says that winning the Europa gets the club an extra 9 million.

But that into transfer context and its not a great deal really is it and explains why its a bigger thing for fans than owners.

I would rather he is motivating them with a push for Europe than looking over their shoulders at relegation. Mindsets and all that.

What? if you consider that our club is worth, say, £100m, being in the Europa League for one season is worth just under a tenth of the clubs total value. It also puts the club into a different bracket in terms of attracting new players and/or securing contract extensions for existing players. Given the apathy that fans appear to show the Europa League, when you're talking about attendances, I'd say it's a bigger thing for owners than fans.

I think the 9m is only if you win it. You get fuck all for playing six rounds against Viking FC in Iceland or whatever. iirc it takes ages to get to a meaningful match and you need a decent squad to cope with all the travelling and injuries. For fuck all money basically unless you get to the latter stages.

FC Viking.

FC Viking.

He's talking shite aswell. The only reason we played so many shit teams was because we qualified through the Intertoto, so started at the very beginning. As soon as we got the the group stages we played teams like Celta Vigo, Palermo, Fenerbahce and some other team, can't remember who. The point is they're all good teams.

Would be happy just to avoid relegation. That said, if Ashley actually invests in the team in the summer and we can use playing in Europe as a bargaining point with prospective players then I don't see why it would be a problem. There is no way we could do it with the squad we have at present, though.

Well Said :lol:

Again, we're not safe yet. Just concentrate on one thing at a time.

He is, he's concentrating on a thread asking whether you think its possible or not!!!!!!!!!

Yes or no would do you wuss. :o

He's talking shite aswell. The only reason we played so many shit teams was because we qualified through the Intertoto, so started at the very beginning. As soon as we got the the group stages we played teams like Celta Vigo, Palermo, Fenerbahce and some other team, can't remember who. The point is they're all good teams.

Fair enough, I was thinking of the Intertoto. We haven't got a squad to cope with European football though imo, even if we are lucky to qualify.

There's a reason you don't look behind you to see what's coming in a marathon.

If the players set their focus on qualifying for Europe, by nature that will obviously save us from relegation.

I can't believe anyone would see qualifying for Europe as a negative when we have a massive transfer budget (hopefully) in the summer to sign new players and the possible bargaining chip of European competition to lure and keep good players with.

Best case scenario: We can still win the title by 6 clear points (with the mackems finishing bottom)!

Worst case scenario: We can finish bottom, 14 points adrift of safety (with the mackems as Champions)....

we have a massive transfer budget (hopefully) in the summer to sign new players and the possible bargaining chip of European competition to lure and keep good players with.

:(

If our net spend is over ten million in the summer (europe or no) I'll eat my shat.

Edited by Happy Face

we have a massive transfer budget (hopefully) in the summer to sign new players and the possible bargaining chip of European competition to lure and keep good players with.

:rolleyes:

If our net spend is over ten million in the summer (europe or no) I'll eat my shat.

I think that if we were to qualify for Europe, Ashley would kind of be forced into spending closer to the £35 mill transfer kitty in the window. To me that would be the biggest benefit of actually qualifying.