If you could own one piece of art……

Monkeys Fist

If it had to be a painting it would be The Nightwatch by Rembrandt. Without wishing to be too pretentious (this is an art thread so I think I can get away with it like) you have to actually see his paintings just too appreciate how well they are painted. An art stude later told me a lot of people consider him to be the 'master' in terms of technique.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Turner as well and he did some good stuff in the North East (Quayside and Dunstanburgh Castle off the top of my head). Or failing that: Rain, Steam and Speed.

Edited by alex

Good thread. Mines actually a piece of advertising:

ITL01297.jpg

stresamottarone.jpg

I love that type of art, mate. I once had a calender of the tourism posters of the Twenties and Thirties. Thats the nearest I got to 'owning' them I'm afraid.

egypt_travel_posters_4x.jpg

Also love some of the oil paintings of Eighteenth century naval battles.

6dae8ed4de8744853a8a8c7766d02e56.jpg

However I'd :o myself silly if I could have some original Ancient Greek art/pottery like the cover of this book.

71AY896KHTL.gif

I love buildings. Churches, chapels, graveyards, old houses. I can walk around them for ever!

I liked this display of Wig-wams made out of car hubcaps, this was in Shaldon near Torquay. Brilliant!

3766127791_6b2fbcef11.jpg

4088945689_f0806ed233.jpg

Last summer I went to an Art Exhibition here at Torre Abbey. But what caught everyones attention (and some criticism) was a controversial piece of 'Art' by Damien Hirst, a real preserved dissected Cow and her calf :o

"Mother and Child Divided weighs 6.5 tonnes and comprises a cow and a calf, each cut in half and preserved in a pair of glass-walled tanks in a formaldehyde solution.

It was created for exhibition at the 1993 Venice Biennale and was the focal point of the 1995 Turner Prize at Tate Britain, the year Hirst won the prize.

Very odd!

I love Blake's painting of Newton, whereby the Newtonian knowledge leads only in to blackness, with the colour of imagination in the background. Sums up why I dropped physics at school.

Could be interpreted that the blackness is the unknown and through imagination Newton is powering into it?

Edited by trophyshy

probably this

100830944_419d067ce5_b.jpg

or this

kandinsky.jpg

owning a rothko would be cool but getting a house with walls big enough to hang one wouldn't be easy.

i've got a print of this pic, which i love. wouldn't mind owning the original

angelprint26.gif

probably this

100830944_419d067ce5_b.jpg

or this

kandinsky.jpg

owning a rothko would be cool but getting a house with walls big enough to hang one wouldn't be easy.

i've got a print of this pic, which i love. wouldn't mind owning the original

angelprint26.gif

Didnt Gemmill used to have that top one as his Avatar? :o

If you like alternative film posters Fish, check out Olly Moss - may well be up your street?

Very cool sir, cheers.