Mike Williamson

Craig

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with it. Obviously he tries hard, but it's so frustrating watching him punt it aimlessly up-field to nobody, and it happened several times per game...

He seems a good lad so I won't slate him but he isn't good enough for a run of games. Should be 4th/5th choice really. Game do a job for the odd game but a few games ago he had played more games than any other centre back this season!

He was in our side during our run in last season, when we were playing superbly and creating plenty of chances.

Losing Ba and having our creative midfielders out injured isn't Mike Williamson"s fault, whatever his limitations are. It's nothing more than a prejudiced piece of writing, targeting an easy scapegoat.

He was (along with the rest of our defenders) being told to "hit Shola" a lot of the time by Pardew too. Going long was a tactic we were employing because of a lack of faith in our midfield.

Williamson isn't a good player but he wasn't the problem with our poor attacking play.

The only person to have mentioned creativity is you though.

The piece has a pop at him not scoring...because every game he played, any crosses into the box were aimed at him. I think it's unfair because he wasn't poaching on the 6 yard line, it was a training ground tactic to create the old fashioned POMO (position of maximum opportunity). He was supposed to be winning the ball at the moment it arrived in the box and providing the secondary opportunity to someone else. The failing of that tactic was that I don't think he has a single assist either, so it's fair to criticise him on those grounds.

Second paragraph. Imagination / creativity - same thing. If there is nobody there to take the ball off him, I'd rather see him punt it up field. Tiote's return has given our centre backs on outlet that wasn't there during Williamson's run in the side.

It's a shocking article that is trying to justify having a go at Williamson for the sake of it.

Cabaye's atrocious corners are more at fault than Mike bloody Williamson, but there's no mention of that in here.

The piece has a pop at him not scoring...because every game he played, any crosses into the box were aimed at him. I think it's unfair because he wasn't poaching on the 6 yard line, it was a training ground tactic to create the old fashioned POMO (position of maximum opportunity). He was supposed to be winning the ball at the moment it arrived in the box and providing the secondary opportunity to someone else. The failing of that tactic was that I don't think he has a single assist either, so it's fair to criticise him on those grounds.

I disagree, it's fair to blame Pardew for that failing. Pretty much our only tactic at corners was to hit Williamson, when it was clear that wasn't working then Pardew should've looked at alternatives. It wasn't Williamson's fault that the manager persisted in a shit corner routine that simply didn't work.

Second paragraph. Imagination / creativity - same thing. If there is nobody there to take the ball off him, I'd rather see him punt it up field. Tiote's return has given our centre backs on outlet that wasn't there during Williamson's run in the side.

It's a shocking article that is trying to justify having a go at Williamson for the sake of it.

Cabaye's atrocious corners are more at fault than Mike bloody Williamson, but there's no mention of that in here.

Tiote played two thirds of the games Williamson was involved in this season (12/18)

...if anything, I blame Tiote's early season poor form, and his recent improvement on Williamson bypassing him with long balls he punts without even looking up.

I agree, given his limitations it's preferable to him fucking up in controlling the ball or passing, but it's a good thing we have defenders now who are looking for the midfielder.

...if anything, I blame Tiote's early season poor form, and his recent improvement on Williamson bypassing him with long balls he punts without even looking up.

I agree, given his limitations it's preferable to him fucking up in controlling the ball or passing, but it's a good thing we have defenders now who are looking for the midfielder.

I don't disagree with any of that. Mike Williamson is a squad player of limited ability, who has come in and done a half decent stand in job at times. It's no leap of faith to suggest he isn't very good, but to lay the blame at his feet for us not scoring enough is harsh to say the least.

• 2 months later...
The Journal understands that Shane Ferguson will also be offered out on loan, while defender Mike Williamson is close to completing a move to Cardiff City.

Decent bloke and very good professional who I hold no malice towards, he just sadly hasn't been good enough for us consistently in the Premiership. :up:

Aye hope he can enjoy a decent few years somewhere before retiring.

So thats another CB that we need now.

Btw what are the odds he will score against us from a long floated freekick?

What is the point in selling another squad player?! I know he's nowhere near good enough to start every week, but he's not exactly been horrific as a stand in. It seems like they found out Colo was going to stay and we would have four centre backs for the first time in about three years so they acted straight away. We need four centre backs at the highest level. Taylor will be injured for a long period of time next season, that's a given. So now we're relying on Colo and Mapou staying fit. (This is all based on the reasonable assumption he won;t be replaced.)

We're in the market for a CB, whether we get a decent one or not is another matter.

This is also probably more about him wanting a shot at first team football than us selling him. He knows he'll never be a first team regular here, may have a chance at Cardiff although I doubt he'll be a regular starter for them either.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, but the majority of Willos passes are to Colo then Krul, and failing that a punt downstream to no one in particular.

How come they aren't as active then? Why isn't the team captain (and better footballer) taking more responsibility and getting on the ball more?

How come they aren't as active then? Why isn't the team captain (and better footballer) taking more responsibility and getting on the ball more?

From what I can see his hair gets in the way.

Cos they fucked his mate off because he got cancer, probably.

I can't help this is the root of the teams nosedive in form. Selling Cabaye the same month and not replacing him plainly didn't help either, but I wonder what effect telling Jonas he was basically finished at the club when he'd just had major surgery had on his teamates, especially Colo.