Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

11 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

He was probably sick to fucking death of hearing Theon apologise…again. 

Perhaps that’s what the actor was shooting for when he offered Theon his thanks. I’ve haven’t heard a wooden delivery more devoid of emotion since Hayden Christensen’s turn as Annakin Skywalker.

20 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Bran is the Lord of Light. 

Is he? Is that why everyone was so confident the night king would go for him? I was wondering why everyone was so sure things would play out exactly as they did 

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is he? Is that why everyone was so confident the night king would go for him? I was wondering why everyone was so sure things would play out exactly as they did 

If that's true, surely that's a bigger story than the main squabble over the throne :lol:

Kind of agree with whoever said that the actual ending would have been humanity versus the undead, rather than humanity versus Cersei.

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The battle was well filmed and apart being dark and foggy was visually impressive.

Strategically fucking stupid though. Why can't writers write intelligent battles? What in fucks name was the point in sending the dothraki off to die in the pitch black? And then having a fight in front of the fire trench... Why? Why not stand behind the fire trench and then, as gloom says, have the dragons torch everything back and forth. Army can pick off stragglers who make it over as they come through.

Night King's death was surprisingly acceptable.

Agree. Great spectacle full of tension but some of the tactics left me scratching my head. I was shouting at the telly, where are the fucking dragons? as the undead, like sitting ducks, waited for the trench fire to burn out.

i was reading somewhere online that the plan went tits up after the Dothraki were put to bed. Danerys lost her cool and went steaming in on the dragon without sticking to the plan, forcing John snow to fly after her and the two of them getting lost in the dark blizzard. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 hours ago, trophyshy said:

Bran is the Lord of Light. 

I was considering this too.  Dunno whether it's just my own lack of belief in gods coming into play but there seems to be a theme of the gods not being gods in GOT but just beings with some sort of supernatural abilities.  The White Walkers are considered gods by some but they were just created by the Children of the Forrest to battle the first men.  The old gods seem to be to do with the Three Eyed Raven too.  So maybe the Lord of Light is just connected to TER too so it is now Bran.  His ability to see the future would allow him pass prophesy on.

I thought the episode was really good apart from being far too dark to the point where it was difficult to make out whether characters were being killed and who they were.  Ayra and Leanna Mormont were an absolute joy, the Dotharki's flaming swords and then being wiped out was brilliant and the two big deaths ( everyone knew Ed and Beric were on their way out) were both what the characters deserved.

I still think it was ridiculous that the characters that are basically supposed to be the smartest men in the world (Tyrion and Varys) never considered that a room full of corpses would might be a bit dangerous when they were battling a bloke who can raise the dead with the simplest of gestures.

With regards to what the whole story is about, the name of the series of books is A Song Of Ice And Fire, which tends to suggest that the fight against the dead is the main point.  But the show being called Game Of Thrones goes the other way.  For me, having read the books and watched the show, the politics and wars for control of Westeros is what most of the focus has been on. 

I watched it before work yesterday and found it too dark visually so I watched most of it again last night after changing the picture settings on my TV and it was much clearer. 

As for the battle plan, I think they were torn between not having everyone killed while allowing the NK to get to Bran. Still generally poor though. 

does anyone have an explanation for what Bran was up to with the ravens? Did he help enable Arya or something or was he just chilling watching all the shit go down in his new detached, and slightly autistic manner? 

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The battle was well filmed and apart being dark and foggy was visually impressive.

Strategically fucking stupid though. Why can't writers write intelligent battles? What in fucks name was the point in sending the dothraki off to die in the pitch black? And then having a fight in front of the fire trench... Why? Why not stand behind the fire trench and then, as gloom says, have the dragons torch everything back and forth. Army can pick off stragglers who make it over as they come through.

Night King's death was surprisingly acceptable.

Absolutely idiotic "strategy" by the living. Surely you set up with the cavalry on the flanks to harrass the legions of undead to force them to bunch up. You certainly don't send them all rushing forward into the darkness with no support whatsoever. As the Dothraki nibble away at the sides of the advancing army, lob big blazing balls of burny stuff into that congested centre from the catapults (THAT YOU DON'T position ahead of the trenches!). Why didn't they have big pools of oil/tar set ablaze to slow down the zombies, or force them into bottlenecks? Why didn't they use the dragons to set the front of the undead army on fire, and give a bit of illumination to the battle field? It's not like anyone but the Night King (and maybe his generals) have those Dragon-killer spears. Even if you have one do a pass while the other looks out for the undead dragon.

Mind you, the NK was tactically stupid as well. Why does he need to be there for 99% of the battle? If his sole aim is to kill Bran, why didn't he a) fly his dragon into the garden, dismount, let his dragon deal with the Cockless Allen and his mates while he kills Bran or, 2) let his undead horde kill everyone in the castle and watch from afar, then when that's done, stroll into the garden and kill Bran or iii) direct his entire force to the garden and overwhelm any defenders there then casually kill Bran.

Can't be much of a force left to face Cersei. Most if not all of the Dothraki are gone. Same for the Unsullied, Wildlings, and Northmen. Maybe there won't be another big fuck off battle and it'll all be politicking? Which makes Tyrion, Sansa and Varys much more useful.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Absolutely idiotic "strategy" by the living. Surely you set up with the cavalry on the flanks to harrass the legions of undead to force them to bunch up. You certainly don't send them all rushing forward into the darkness with no support whatsoever. As the Dothraki nibble away at the sides of the advancing army, lob big blazing balls of burny stuff into that congested centre from the catapults (THAT YOU DON'T position ahead of the trenches!). Why didn't they have big pools of oil/tar set ablaze to slow down the zombies, or force them into bottlenecks? Why didn't they use the dragons to set the front of the undead army on fire, and give a bit of illumination to the battle field? It's not like anyone but the Night King (and maybe his generals) have those Dragon-killer spears. Even if you have one do a pass while the other looks out for the undead dragon.

Mind you, the NK was tactically stupid as well. Why does he need to be there for 99% of the battle? If his sole aim is to kill Bran, why didn't he a) fly his dragon into the garden, dismount, let his dragon deal with the Cockless Allen and his mates while he kills Bran or, 2) let his undead horde kill everyone in the castle and watch from afar, then when that's done, stroll into the garden and kill Bran or iii) direct his entire force to the garden and overwhelm any defenders there then casually kill Bran.

Can't be much of a force left to face Cersei. Most if not all of the Dothraki are gone. Same for the Unsullied, Wildlings, and Northmen. Maybe there won't be another big fuck off battle and it'll all be politicking? Which makes Tyrion, Sansa and Varys much more useful.

As much as you're drawing fire for this, I agree. It ruined the immersion for me when the cavalry charge into nothingness went on because no sane commander would ever countenance such a moronic play. Done for drama I suppose. The more sensible approach maybe would have been less cinematic, and LOTR already hit peak cavalry charge. Twice.

On a separate note, the Guardian seems to think that there is a debate to be had about whether or not Arya is a Mary Sue:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/30/arya-game-of-thrones-ultimate-mary-sue

To be clear, she is not. She's well developed, spends 8 seasons training how to kill making her a believable assassin, and wins the day by being crafty rather than invincible. She's not a Mary Sue.