Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barton had every right to knock that contract back as he understandably wanted to see what was happening with the club.

And we'd have been better letting Nolan run his contract down than selling him on the cheap (if that indeed is the case).

Rex, when Allardyce turned up at Newcastle one of the things I was pleased about was his sports science shit and the fact that he (on the surface) seemed to be a deep thinker interested in bringing the club out of the dark ages with regards to fitness etc. As it turned out that was all a massive red herring. The bloke is a dinosaur in the way he thinks about football. All of the fitness, the strength, the ProZone and all the rest of it means fuck all unfortunately because of the way he sets his teams up. Who would all of use all of the backroom staff, all of the science, all of the computer shit that he has at his disposal, and then set out his stall to nick a draw against teams we should be looking to beat.

I only say this cos you mentioned it above as being something that you like the sound of too. You're in for a turgid time. You'll know what I mean when, at home to Barnsley 1-1 in injury time, you pick up the ball in a breakaway situation and that fat twat is on the touchline screaming to take it to the corner flag and run the clock down.

Barton had every right to knock that contract back as he understandably wanted to see what was happening with the club.

And we'd have been better letting Nolan run his contract down than selling him on the cheap (if that indeed is the case).

Im sorry, but if Barton after 1 good year in 4 should have snapped the contract up in January and put a bit of this much talked about loyalty back into the people who had paid his wages while in Jail / fucked etc.

If Bird is right about the deal that was offered to Nolan then I think it was a very reasonable contract.

Exactly. And the Barton one that he knocked back in January.

I agree about the Nolan contract if that is true (big if of course). Though you could understand his reluctance to sign a deal where a significant bonus is based off the results of the entire team, regardless of who that team consists of.

I'm still of the opinion that we should not have even been talking contracts with Nolan at this stage. It was the perfect opportunity - we bring in new players and see how they settle and how Nolan performs up to January. If the new players settle well and if Nolan's influence is faltering then there's no need to offer the contract extension. We could have negotiated his sale at that stage with 18 months to run on his contract. As it is the club rarely says no to offers to buy our players regardless of how influential they are. Case in point our two top scorers (one the club captain the other a local kid) have been sold. From Nolan's perspective though I don't think it's realistic to expect to sign a contacrt that carries you to the age of 33+.

Barton is another story altogether. He was right to question the sale of Carroll and the way in which that business was conducted.

No question though if the club doesn't show any loyalty to our players you can't expect the players to show loyalty in return.

@Christmas Tree:It sounds like a lot of shit is going on within your club! Your club is too big for this childish games and it is making your beloved club look silly. Why don't the owners realize that it is the fans that make a club and they should listen to us...they need us more than we need them. Someone else would come along and take over Newcastle in a shot if Mr Sports Direct decided to stand down.

Some of, the minority on this board, dont totally agree with that viewpoint.

We have looked silly for quite a few years paying mega wages to the useless Mark Vidukas and Alan Smiths of this world and many many more. A calamity jane of an owner true, but one who at least seems to be finally bringing some order back to the club.

Most of us will judge this window once it is finished but quite a few realise that we've probably had the best out of Nolan. He played well in the championship in a pretty decent side, playing decent football. How he will fare two years later in a poorer side with the destroyer of football as manager......

I will wager if you pop back onto this forum in August we will all be very excited and very confident about the season ahead.

I'll be back mate. I have had a blast here Tonight. And I will let you lot know when I have made my post that contains your posts for which we can expect from Nolan.

Once Again....Thanks a lot for the response and I really hope everything works out for your beloved club. Just because of Tonight, I will most probably keeping 1 eye on Newcastle to see how they are doing and another eye on Swindon Town to see how Paolo Di Canio is getting along with his first management job.

Take care you lot and good night!

You won't be having much of a girarrrrfe with Fat Sam mate, you'll be tearing your cannister ahht before the start of September sahn.

Im sorry, but if Barton after 1 good year in 4 should have snapped the contract up in January and put a bit of this much talked about loyalty back into the people who had paid his wages while in Jail / fucked etc.

The people who had no choice but to pay his wages? The people who tried to sell him behind his back a couple of years ago?

Much as I hate Allardyce I think he'll get them back up. It would be great to see him fail though. The crack about him being a old skool hack who hides behind sports science is spot on.

CT was banging on about it being great news that Barton was about to sign a new contract with Nolan looking likely to follow about a month ago.

Rex, when Allardyce turned up at Newcastle one of the things I was pleased about was his sports science shit and the fact that he (on the surface) seemed to be a deep thinker interested in bringing the club out of the dark ages with regards to fitness etc. As it turned out that was all a massive red herring. The bloke is a dinosaur in the way he thinks about football. All of the fitness, the strength, the ProZone and all the rest of it means fuck all unfortunately because of the way he sets his teams up. Who would all of use all of the backroom staff, all of the science, all of the computer shit that he has at his disposal, and then set out his stall to nick a draw against teams we should be looking to beat.

I only say this cos you mentioned it above as being something that you like the sound of too. You're in for a turgid time. You'll know what I mean when, at home to Barnsley 1-1 in injury time, you pick up the ball in a breakaway situation and that fat twat is on the touchline screaming to take it to the corner flag and run the clock down.

Hmmm. I will watch out for that shit. Grant would do the opposite to that and take off a defender and a defensive midfielder then put on 2 strikers. We would have a really weak defense and this tactic always cost us games. How many times did West Ham lose from a winning position? About 5 or 6 times last season! To be honest...what you have just said to me sounds like an upgrade to what we have had for the past 2 seasons.

Sam Allardyce has only signed a 2 year contract and his role is to try and stabilze the club and bring us back up to the premiership. That's his only role. I can imagine us getting rid of him once we are back up as many fans will want to get rid of the football style. Well I have no choice but to have faith in what he said in his interview. He said that he would be trying to play flair football at home and play it away if we can. He most probably said the same thing when he joined you, but we will see.

Yes, because that's just how the football world works. I sympathise with the sentiment but in reality players want the most money going regardless of how they've performed and I would too in their position. It's not as if most of them are good at anything else and they're finished by the time they're 35 if they're lucky.

NEWCASTLE United will look to bounce back from the £4.5million sale of captain Kevin Nolan by launching a double swoop for Switzerland winger Tranquillo Barnetta and Saint-Etienne’s France midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

After a tumultuous day on Tyneside, skipper Nolan was on the brink of joining West Ham in a deal worth £55,000 a week. He will be handed the captaincy at Upton Park, where he will be reunited with former boss Sam Allardyce.

Newcastle will respond by moving for Matuidi, a long-term target, and also looking to broker a deal for Barnetta – watched by scouts during Switzerland’s recent draw at England. Striker Demba Ba and defender Neil Taylor are also expected to complete moves imminently.

But how much consolation that will be to a fanbase left desperately disappointed by Nolan’s departure is an entirely different matter.

United had wanted to keep Nolan and offered him an improved contract, but the player felt it undervalued him and was also angered by the treatment of his friend Joey Barton – who led the howls of protest on Twitter and on Sky yesterday.

For their part, Newcastle’s hierarchy are intent on implementing a new culture at St James’ Park, and are showing little sentiment.

They are intent on not handing long, expensive deals to players into their 30s and want to build a team with more pace and energy than this year’s side.

Barnetta and Matuidi fit that bill, although whether they can replicate the incredible influence of Nolan on and off the pitch is another matter.

The former Bolton man has been a hugely successful United captain – but after feeling let down over the breakdown of contract discussions, he has opted to drop down a division to sign a lucrative, longer deal in East London. The £2.86million-a-year contract is an improvement on the three-year deal offered by Newcastle, which would have kept him at United until he was 32.

Comments (9)

Recommend (8)

That incentivised deal would have seen his wages of £40,000 bumped up to £50,000 a week (£2.6million a year), with additional rewards for the club finishing in the top ten.

He turned that down because he wanted a longer deal – and West Ham swooped to hand him one which improved his terms and offered him longer-term security.

It is a blueprint which many have supported but probably not at the expense of Nolan, the man who wrote his name into United folklore by scoring a hat-trick against Sunderland last October.

Boss Alan Pardew has opted to keep his counsel until the move has been officially announced, but undoubtedly Nolan’s departure will come as a bitter blow.

United will now redouble their efforts to recruit new players and The Journal understands both Swansea’s Taylor and Hammers striker Ba are set to be unveiled as Newcastle players by the end of the week.

But that will not be enough to pacify some United fans, who will fear the worst when it comes to their influential ‘players committee’.

Indeed, Nolan is the first of a quartet of influential stars who look set to leave this summer. Barton – so critical of United yesterday – is available for transfer after both his contract talks and relationship with key powerbrokers at the club broke down.

Newcastle are yet to receive a firm enquiry about the midfielder, who has not been offered a new contract after turning down a deal back in January.

Another dressing room lieutenant, Alan Smith, has also been told to leave, while The Journal understands that Steve Harper also harbours concerns about his future.

Weekend reports claimed Tim Krul would be promoted to number one goalkeeper – a development which would pique the interest of Harper’s long-term admirers Celtic.

If Bird is right about the deal that was offered to Nolan then I think it was a very reasonable contract.

Exactly. And the Barton one that he knocked back in January.

I agree about the Nolan contract if that is true (big if of course). Though you could understand his reluctance to sign a deal where a significant bonus is based off the results of the entire team, regardless of who that team consists of.

I'm still of the opinion that we should not have even been talking contracts with Nolan at this stage. It was the perfect opportunity - we bring in new players and see how they settle and how Nolan performs up to January. If the new players settle well and if Nolan's influence is faltering then there's no need to offer the contract extension. We could have negotiated his sale at that stage with 18 months to run on his contract. As it is the club rarely says no to offers to buy our players regardless of how influential they are. Case in point our two top scorers (one the club captain the other a local kid) have been sold. From Nolan's perspective though I don't think it's realistic to expect to sign a contacrt that carries you to the age of 33+.

Barton is another story altogether. He was right to question the sale of Carroll and the way in which that business was conducted.

No question though if the club doesn't show any loyalty to our players you can't expect the players to show loyalty in return.

;):):wub: Brainwashed madness mate. The club did show loyalty by offering them both improved longer term deals which THEY turned down.

Bit of perspective wouldnt go amiss.

@Christmas Tree:It sounds like a lot of shit is going on within your club! Your club is too big for this childish games and it is making your beloved club look silly. Why don't the owners realize that it is the fans that make a club and they should listen to us...they need us more than we need them. Someone else would come along and take over Newcastle in a shot if Mr Sports Direct decided to stand down.

Some of, the minority on this board, dont totally agree with that viewpoint.

We have looked silly for quite a few years paying mega wages to the useless Mark Vidukas and Alan Smiths of this world and many many more. A calamity jane of an owner true, but one who at least seems to be finally bringing some order back to the club.

Most of us will judge this window once it is finished but quite a few realise that we've probably had the best out of Nolan. He played well in the championship in a pretty decent side, playing decent football. How he will fare two years later in a poorer side with the destroyer of football as manager......

I will wager if you pop back onto this forum in August we will all be very excited and very confident about the season ahead.

I'll be back mate. I have had a blast here Tonight. And I will let you lot know when I have made my post that contains your posts for which we can expect from Nolan.

Once Again....Thanks a lot for the response and I really hope everything works out for your beloved club. Just because of Tonight, I will most probably keeping 1 eye on Newcastle to see how they are doing and another eye on Swindon Town to see how Paolo Di Canio is getting along with his first management job.

Take care you lot and good night!

You won't be having much of a girarrrrfe with Fat Sam mate, you'll be tearing your cannister ahht before the start of September sahn.

Once again mate. I seriously can't imagine Sam being as bad as Avram Grant. There was times that I wanted to eat my monitor due to his subs or LACK of tactics. There was many times where if his Plan A did not work. He would not have a Plan B! There was also times where you, me and dupree could see that the opposition was going to score any time soon due to them being all over us, the West Ham fans would be screaming at him to make a change but.......no change... well not till after they have scored anyway.

;):):wub: Brainwashed madness mate. The club did show loyalty by offering them both improved longer term deals which THEY turned down.

My statement holds true.

You seem to have ignored my point about the club trying to sell Barton behind his back.