Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

Williamson got a 5 year contract and isnt he late twenties???

It's not as though if we did offer him a 5 year contract he'd be here for 5 years, if he wasn't getting in the team then he would have been sold and we would have built a better team around him and be in a better position than we are now to sell him

I reckon Williamson is on about £10k a week tbh. Also, Alan Smith would tend to disprove your second point.

There's be plenty of other clubs who would want to buy Nolan into his 30s though, especially in the Championship. Smith, on the other hand... less desirable than the Elephant man.

Aye, but those clubs wouldn't be able to afford his wages.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that it's official I feel canny sad he's gone. I'd go as far to say he's the best natural finisher we've seen since Shearer retired, he'd be a decent target man in his own right in my view, and I'd give his contribution at the toon 8 out of 10. Sad day to be honest, good servant, and when you look at his 17 goals and leadership qualities, he's going to be a big miss.

Steve Brenner asked me to write a few paragraphs yesterday for the sun donno if he put it in, but these are my thoughts on his two years...

Kevin Nolan has been an inspirational figure at Newcastle United. Much like Chris Hughton he went in to the Championship season with many question marks over his ability and position at the club. Although Nicky Butt was club, captain it became obvious early doors as to who the true figure of inspiration was at the club. His 17 goals from midfield that season don't even begin to cover what he did for the club that season. He more than anyone galvanised the players, and gave the club something it hadn't had for a decade team spirit!

When he was formally given the captaincy at the start of last season, he played a leading role on the pitch, and was a passionate opinionated voice off it. Mike Ashley doesn't want that type of figure at the club, and that is why this whole decision has been removed from Alan Pardew's hands. It is a disgrace how a guy who is more central to NUFC's rise over the last two years than anyone, can be dismissed as easily as this, when he dies he will long be remembered in Newcastle folklore for his hattrick against Sunderland, but more than anything, certainly in terms of our recent history, it was refreshing thing to have someone on the pitch who was a "good lad", who goes home to Liverpool to run his Sunday league team on a weekend, who goes for a pint with his fatha. A real sad day for NUFC, in no way surprising, but the gap his departure will leave, creates far, far more than just a gap to fill in midfield.

It's not as though if we did offer him a 5 year contract he'd be here for 5 years, if he wasn't getting in the team then he would have been sold and we would have built a better team around him and be in a better position than we are now to sell him

I reckon Williamson is on about £10k a week tbh. Also, Alan Smith would tend to disprove your second point.

There's be plenty of other clubs who would want to buy Nolan into his 30s though, especially in the Championship. Smith, on the other hand... less desirable than the Elephant man.

Aye but if we need to progress we should be keeping the Nolan's of this world alot more than the Williamson's

I think Smith will be sold this summer, mainly because he's basically been put on the Transfer and wasn't sold because everyone had forgot about him and mainly being turd

Now that it's official I feel canny sad he's gone. I'd go as far to say he's the best natural finisher we've seen since Shearer retired, he'd be a decent target man in his own right in my view, and I'd give his contribution at the toon 8 out of 10. Sad day to be honest, good servant, and when you look at his 17 goals and leadership qualities, he's going to be a big miss.

Steve Brenner asked me to write a few paragraphs yesterday for the sun donno if he put it in, but these are my thoughts on his two years...

Kevin Nolan has been an inspirational figure at Newcastle United. Much like Chris Hughton he went in to the Championship season with many question marks over his ability and position at the club. Although Nicky Butt was club, captain it became obvious early doors as to who the true figure of inspiration was at the club. His 17 goals from midfield that season don't even begin to cover what he did for the club that season. He more than anyone galvanised the players, and gave the club something it hadn't had for a decade team spirit!

When he was formally given the captaincy at the start of last season, he played a leading role on the pitch, and was a passionate opinionated voice off it. Mike Ashley doesn't want that type of figure at the club, and that is why this whole decision has been removed from Alan Pardew's hands. It is a disgrace how a guy who is more central to NUFC's rise over the last two years than anyone, can be dismissed as easily as this, when he dies he will long be remembered in Newcastle folklore for his hattrick against Sunderland, but more than anything, certainly in terms of our recent history, it was refreshing thing to have someone on the pitch who was a "good lad", who goes home to Liverpool to run his Sunday league team on a weekend, who goes for a pint with his fatha. A real sad day for NUFC, in no way surprising, but the gap his departure will leave, creates far, far more than just a gap to fill in midfield.

Nicely put.

From their website: 'The club actually wanted me.'

Says it all. Goodbye Kevin, you will be missed, not least by those who claimed this was 'good business.'

We wanted him as well, but not for 5 years.

Would you have given him 5 years on £50K a week ??

just askin

Same lot gave Ameobi a 3 year contract when he was 27. I rate Nolan a lot more than I do Shola.

See the pattern ? ;)

Do you know for certain Nolan was offered 3 years? We can't even say for sure that 3 years wasn't what he was asking for - for all we know WHU may have offered him a 5 year deal from the outset.

Only thing I'm looking forward to when Barton is sold is him speaking up about what was truly offered.

Aye but if we need to progress we should be keeping the Nolan's of this world alot more than the Williamson's

I think Smith will be sold this summer, mainly because he's basically been put on the Transfer and wasn't sold because everyone had forgot about him and mainly being turd

I agree, apart from the bit about Smith going (I hope you're right on that score though). I don't think giving Nolan a 5 year deal on £50k per week is wise though. A compromise would've been nice but I suspect the club were more than happy for him to join West Ham.

:);)

Nicely put.

Cheers.

I was trying to play within the rules of your fantasy world. :wub:

He's been reading to much Sartre and eating baguettes, poor lad.

;) Weren't you alluding to Camus in gen chat btw? :)

I was trying to play within the rules of your fantasy world. :D

;) Weren't you alluding to Camus in gen chat btw? :)

It's spelt Cambois man !!!! :wub::D

I was trying to play within the rules of your fantasy world. :D

;) Weren't you alluding to Camus in gen chat btw? :wub:

It's spelt Cambois man !!!! :D:icon_lol:

Albert from Cambois :)

I agree, apart from the bit about Smith going (I hope you're right on that score though). I don't think giving Nolan a 5 year deal on £50k per week is wise though. A compromise would've been nice but I suspect the club were more than happy for him to join West Ham.

I think we all hope I'm right about Smith going, but i think he'll definitely be on his way, the club will be trying to push him out more than ever now and his agent will probably do some aswell. I reckon it might be into August before we sell him like because of his wages being a stumbling block and it'll take him a while to realise that he has to take a hefty drop.

Was he on 40k or 50k? Because i don't think he'd have been that bothered(If on 40k) to keep it that way and then extend his contract, and then midway through the contract someone would still be willing to take him off our hands for a fee, other than giving him a 3 year contract and letting him go for nowt IMO

He is survived by his wife and 2 daughters.

He is survived by his wife and 2 daughters.

;)

I have now made the post on my blog which contains your comments on what West Ham fans can expect from Nolan. Once again thank you very much for not massacring me and giving me much needed info! You can see the post here http://weloveyouwestham.blogspot.com/2011/...-to-expect.html.

Good luck next season you lot and hope Ba signs for you(unless he decided to stay with us that is)

I think we all hope I'm right about Smith going, but i think he'll definitely be on his way, the club will be trying to push him out more than ever now and his agent will probably do some aswell. I reckon it might be into August before we sell him like because of his wages being a stumbling block and it'll take him a while to realise that he has to take a hefty drop.

Was he on 40k or 50k? Because i don't think he'd have been that bothered(If on 40k) to keep it that way and then extend his contract, and then midway through the contract someone would still be willing to take him off our hands for a fee, other than giving him a 3 year contract and letting him go for nowt IMO

He already knows a move will equal a hefty drop though. That's reason not to move imo.

smith will go down even further in my estimation if he sees his contract out sitting on the bench or in the reserves insread of going somewhere where he might get a game.

I have now made the post on my blog which contains your comments on what West Ham fans can expect from Nolan. Once again thank you very much for not massacring me and giving me much needed info! You can see the post here http://weloveyouwestham.blogspot.com/2011/...-to-expect.html.

Good luck next season you lot and hope Ba signs for you(unless he decided to stay with us that is)

It's refreshing to get an opposition fan who isn't just on the wind-up so feel free to stick about

It's refreshing to get an opposition fan who isn't just on the wind-up so feel free to stick about

I don't understand what the fan gets out of doing stuff like that. To me it would be a waste of my time and it will get you no where. I will clock on once every so often, but seeing as I am a hammer, I don't really know what your talking about alot of the time.

No need to worry about, just join in and no one will notice.

Am hungover today so even slower than normal, but you're talking like Eric Cantona in Croydon Crown Court today Chez.