Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

If they don't get promoted this coming season it'll be interesting to see if he'll stay or if they can afford him. They got into trouble by deals like this for Lundberg (and maybe Dyer) so it's nice to see them learning their lesson.

Yup. £50 grand a week and the fee.......£16 million

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From their website: 'The club actually wanted me.'

Says it all. Goodbye Kevin, you will be missed, not least by those who claimed this was 'good business.'

We wanted him as well, but not for 5 years.

Would you have given him 5 years on £50K a week ??

just askin

Says it all. Goodbye Kevin, you will be missed, not least by those who claimed this was 'good business.'

just askin

i would have aye. he earned a deal to take him to the end of his days with us by arguably being one of our best players of the past two seasons, leading the team and playing a massive part in fostering the team spirit that has got us out of a massive hole. he's in his prime now. 29/30/31 are generally the best years for good pros. more evidence sadly that ashley isn't prepared to splash the going rate on wages, even when it comes to his senior and most important players.

Let's hope all of the foreigners that pardew is after are prepared to roll their sleeves up like Nolan when we are hanging around the bottom half. Nothing like wrecking the team spirit that we've been hearing about for the last couple of seasons.

just askin

i would have aye. he earned a deal to take him to the end of his days with us by arguably being one of our best players of the past two seasons, leading the team and playing a massive part in fostering the team spirit that has got us out of a massive hole. he's in his prime now. 29/30/31 are generally the best years for good pros. more evidence sadly that ashley isn't prepared to splash the going rate on wages, even when it comes to his senior and most important players.

Frist bold bit, sentiment has no place to play in professional sport sadly. It's not like in three years he'll be a pauper and have to buy and run a pub to survive.

Second bold bit, I always thought it was 25-30 myself, but OK each to their own.

Slow already, comming off ankle surgery and £50K a week for 5 years, I wouldn't. For 3 yes, not 5.

The obsession with wage packets is a curious new obsession with NUFC fans like. 50k is pennies for your influential captain, top goalscorer, big dressing room presence and Mackem Destroyer (co-owned with Shola), especially for the continuation of those things.

just askin

Same lot gave Ameobi a 3 year contract when he was 27. I rate Nolan a lot more than I do Shola.

Hope some of you never become bosses. An employee performs well for 2 years and instead of a % of a one years wages as a reward, you'd give him 5 years of salary? He wont be playing much in that time too remember.

5 years of salary for 2 years of good performance, with the 2 years already paid for handsomely seems just a little bit generous. Not even the top bankers get that.

To be honest he was offered a 1 year extension with incentives taking it to £50k a week - he's chased the money here I reckon.

I reckon Ashley will still be feeling sore over Smith withdrawing £60k for fuck all - the last ridiculous wages.

Fuck knows where we'll all be in 5 years time but I'd be astonished if Nolan is still getting a game for West Ham (or anyone else for that matter) - that's why I can understand the policy while still feeling they've underestimated the team spirit factors.

Fuck knows where we'll all be in 5 years time but I'd be astonished if Nolan is still getting a game for West Ham (or anyone else for that matter) - that's why I can understand the policy while still feeling they've underestimated the team spirit factors.

Agree on both counts.

Hope some of you never become bosses. An employee performs well for 2 years and instead of a % of a one years wages as a reward, you'd give him 5 years of salary? He wont be playing much in that time too remember.

5 years of salary for 2 years of good performance, with the 2 years already paid for handsomely seems just a little bit generous. Not even the top bankers get that.

Canny daft comparison tbh. Fixed term contracts are not the norm in normal business, but if they were I don't think you'd see too many companies happy to let their top performers go to a smaller competitor for the sake of one year on a contract.

just askin

Same lot gave Ameobi a 3 year contract when he was 27. I rate Nolan a lot more than I do Shola.

See the pattern ? ;)

Williamson got a 5 year contract and isnt he late twenties???

It's not as though if we did offer him a 5 year contract he'd be here for 5 years, if he wasn't getting in the team then he would have been sold and we would have built a better team around him and be in a better position than we are now to sell him

Canny daft comparison tbh. Fixed term contracts are not the norm in normal business, but if they were I don't think you'd see too many companies happy to let their top performers go to a smaller competitor for the sake of one year on a contract.

If its a daft comparison, why do you extend it to argue the point then? If it doesnt work it doesnt support the bit in bold, as its just daft ;)

Of course its an imperfect comparison but he was paid to give 100% effort and play to his maximum potential. That was the deal he signed, to be an attacking midfielder in the first team for NUFC. He scored 30 goals by giving that 100% and his reward for doing what he signed up to was the wage he signed up to. The idea of him being 'rewarded' for his 'peformance' is sentimental and unrealistic. Its his future performance which should determine his future pay.

Its not me claiming that the future 5 year contract that he wanted should have been given to him as a reward for the last 2 seasons either.

It's not as though if we did offer him a 5 year contract he'd be here for 5 years, if he wasn't getting in the team then he would have been sold and we would have built a better team around him and be in a better position than we are now to sell him

I reckon Williamson is on about £10k a week tbh. Also, Alan Smith would tend to disprove your second point.

Edited by alex

What's the obsession with 5 year contracts? ;) It means fuck all, he was contracted to us for another two years.

Should've just kept him to see how our new recruits turned out and looked to sell him if everything was rosy with our new lads next winter or summer and he wasn't getting a game. Or heaven forbid, injuries, shit form and a lack of goals from the new kids would've meant him actually playing a big role next year.

I reckon Williamson is on about £10k a week tbh. Also, Alan Smith would tend to disprove your second point.

There's be plenty of other clubs who would want to buy Nolan into his 30s though, especially in the Championship. Smith, on the other hand... less desirable than the Elephant man.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

The obsession with wage packets is a curious new obsession with NUFC fans like. 50k is pennies for your influential captain, top goalscorer, big dressing room presence and Mackem Destroyer (co-owned with Shola), especially for the continuation of those things.

what it is, is the "anything but Fred" obsession, anything "Fred" did, lets do the opposite, despite the european qualifications and growth of the club. I know posters like CT is just a WUM, but others like Deano, jaysouthernmag, toonpack and one or two others are genuine deluded fuckwits to be honest.

As for these new signings, a lot is being said about Nolan, but replacing such a good leader and influence is highly unlikely to be achieved with players who have hardly played in the premiership, if at all, who look good on youtube for 5 minutes.

It seems that most people are saying this, but the bairns appear to continue to think they know best and that youtube is a highly successful talent spotting tool.