Henderson to Liverpool

Guest alex

you said this

Designed to fail flotation at £300+ a share,

incorrect chum, like most things you are either making up, or moving the goalposts to accomodate into your "opinion"

Your £100 was to get "into the race" and allow you to apply for shares when and if they were floated, the actual share price, or at least minimum purchase, was to be around £300 (more than the then average weekly wage in the UK- £240 btw).

It was designed to fail, when's the best time to float the club, OH I know let's do it in November/December just before Christmas.

Even if it was just the £100 that was a HUGE lump to take out of anyone's pocket in back then.

Edit: - Apologies to Gloom for the quoting of his favourite poster

Edited by Toonpack

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible that like, being given stick off your own fans, reminds is of when Shola used to get booed from our own fans, fair enough he played shyte, but theres no need to single them out, I used to hate being in the stadium when it happened

you said this

Designed to fail flotation at £300+ a share,

incorrect chum, like most things you are either making up, or moving the goalposts to accomodate into your "opinion"

Your £100 was to get "into the race" and allow you to apply for shares when and if they were floated, the actual share price, or at least minimum purchase, was to be around £300 (more than the then average weekly wage in the UK- £240 btw).

It was designed to fail, when's the best time to float the club, OH I know let's do it in November/December just before Christmas.

Even if it was just the £100 that was a HUGE lump to take out of anyone's pocket in back then.

Edit: - Apologies to Gloom for the quoting of his favourite poster

I found £100 quid man :icon_lol:

Where were all the "businessmen" who came later...... they only wanted 2.5m quid in total, the club couldn't even raise shares to value itself at 2.5m quid, Liverpool paid us almost that amount of money for Beardsley, Spurs for Gazza [things turned full circle here haven't they, this "good business" malarkey]

:lol:

Any old excuse. Keep them coming, you're making yourself look dafter all the time when I categorically prove you wrong like this....

You aren't half picking gnat shit out of pepper on this one Leazes. Yes TP may have got the minimum amount wrong (it was £100) but he's bang on the money with the fact that the 1990 flotation was absolutely designed to fail.

It was Hall's way of ousting the old board, ultimately it worked and ultimately we all profitted from it.

However I maintain that the reason this club turned around was because Kevin Keegan threatened to walk out when he didn't get the paltry funds he was asking for to save the club from the 3rd division. Until that point, Hall (and the rest of his board) made little attempt to stump up cash for the club they all 'loved' which they'd been in charge of for over 3 months.

Also needs correcting that at the time of the first flotation attempt were weren't staring at the 3rd division. It happened over 12 months previous to that.

Came in here expecting to see posts and posts laughing about the price, should have known it would be another one of those thread :lol:

Let me guess, someone else started it? :icon_lol:

You aren't half picking gnat shit out of pepper on this one Leazes. Yes TP may have got the minimum amount wrong (it was £100) but he's bang on the money with the fact that the 1990 flotation was absolutely designed to fail.

It was Hall's way of ousting the old board, ultimately it worked and ultimately we all profitted from it.

However I maintain that the reason this club turned around was because Kevin Keegan threatened to walk out when he didn't get the paltry funds he was asking for to save the club from the 3rd division. Until that point, Hall (and the rest of his board) made little attempt to stump up cash for the club they all 'loved' which they'd been in charge of for over 3 months.

Also needs correcting that at the time of the first flotation attempt were weren't staring at the 3rd division. It happened over 12 months previous to that.

absolutely designed to fail, is just an opinion. The very fact that the club, in fact the absolute reason they could not sell those shares, which were open to anybody, businesses, supporters, only underlined how little interest there was in the football club, that they could not raise such a small amount of money. Where were all these businesses and supporters that appeared once the club started kicking forward and it all started to mushroom ?

You may be right about Keegan, in fact I probably agree, but this only shows the people who give SJH all the credit for everything are wrong, [but they know they only do this because they want to hurl any brick they can find at Shepherd and blame him for everything]. Keegan forced their hand, no doubt, however, when I quoted this very extract from Keegan in his book a few weeks ago, Toonpack even disagreed with that.....I reckon he just wants to argue with me the same as people like him want to blame Shepherd for everything, as already said.

The FACTS are that the Halls and Shepherd owned the club from 1992 until 2007, it was the best period in half a century for NUFC, and it was all down to them, and Keegan who started it all and did a job that very few managers could have hoped to equal, yet Toonpack and people like him even denounce this because "he won nothing" and "they left debts [stadium debts] when it all ended". Personally, I think if there was a stadium debt of around 70m quid, structured like a mortgage and repaid in accordance with revenues like a mortgage, for what we had, the rise of the club and everything that came with it including the springboard for a bigger future in terms of the raised status, stadium, training ground, profiles etc, it was cheap at the price. It is quite unbelievable that people are actually slating the club for expanding the stadium and looking at longer term revenues and potentials and then get slated for it.

It is also shameful that people actually mock the signing of top quality footballers at this club, who brought all of this, and have absolutely no appreciation of how everything changed at the football club. They converted this club from a situation like Sheffield Wednesday are in, into one of the biggest clubs in europe, and fools took the ambition etc for granted.

The club is now in decline again, and Man City being bought by a bunch of Arabs, along with the previous purchase of Chelsea by Abramovic, has nothing to do with Mike Ashleys decision to convert this club into a selling club again competing at the levels of the likes of Blackburn and Bolton.

Liverpool are doing it right. They are, in the opinion of their manager, buying what they judge to be a quality footballer, instead of selling them and cementing their status as also rans with cheaper inferior middle of the road replacements.

absolutely designed to fail, is just an opinion. The very fact that the club, in fact the absolute reason they could not sell those shares, which were open to anybody, businesses, supporters, only underlined how little interest there was in the football club, that they could not raise such a small amount of money. Where were all these businesses and supporters that appeared once the club started kicking forward and it all started to mushroom ?

You may be right about Keegan, in fact I probably agree, but this only shows the people who give SJH all the credit for everything are wrong, [but they know they only do this because they want to hurl any brick they can find at Shepherd and blame him for everything]. Keegan forced their hand, no doubt, however, when I quoted this very extract from Keegan in his book a few weeks ago, Toonpack even disagreed with that.....I reckon he just wants to argue with me the same as people like him want to blame Shepherd for everything, as already said.

The FACTS are that the Halls and Shepherd owned the club from 1992 until 2007, it was the best period in half a century for NUFC, and it was all down to them, and Keegan who started it all and did a job that very few managers could have hoped to equal, yet Toonpack and people like him even denounce this because "he won nothing" and "they left debts [stadium debts] when it all ended". Personally, I think if there was a stadium debt of around 70m quid, structured like a mortgage and repaid in accordance with revenues like a mortgage, for what we had, the rise of the club and everything that came with it including the springboard for a bigger future in terms of the raised status, stadium, training ground, profiles etc, it was cheap at the price. It is quite unbelievable that people are actually slating the club for expanding the stadium and looking at longer term revenues and potentials and then get slated for it.

It is also shameful that people actually mock the signing of top quality footballers at this club, who brought all of this, and have absolutely no appreciation of how everything changed at the football club. They converted this club from a situation like Sheffield Wednesday are in, into one of the biggest clubs in europe, and fools took the ambition etc for granted.

The club is now in decline again, and Man City being bought by a bunch of Arabs, along with the previous purchase of Chelsea by Abramovic, has nothing to do with Mike Ashleys decision to convert this club into a selling club again competing at the levels of the likes of Blackburn and Bolton.

Liverpool are doing it right. They are, in the opinion of their manager, buying what they judge to be a quality footballer, instead of selling them and cementing their status as also rans with cheaper inferior middle of the road replacements.

Freddy Shepherd was born into a working class home, the son of a lorry driver; and with his brother Bruce, expanded a road haulage business into a series of marine and related businesses; and property development through redevelopment of the former ship facilities along the River Tyne. The assets of the company now include Mitford Hall.The brothers often worked with Sir John Hall, who owned the property development business Cameron Hall Developments, and had become a key share-holder in Newcastle United. After Hall's vision of building Newcastle into a sporting club along the lines of AS Roma or FC Barcelona, he looked to consolidate the operations of Newcastle United. Shepherd Offshore had started to build a holding in Newcastle United, and so Shepherd became involved in the football business, alongside Hall's son Douglas Hall. Initially, Shepherd became involved with the consolidation of the Newcastle sporting club to just Newcastle United, selling or reducing Hall's controlling stakes in: Newcastle Falcons rugby team, Newcastle Eagles basketball team; and the then Newcastle Cobras ice hockey team. In 1996, Shepherd was tasked by Hall with bringing Alan Shearer to the club, which he did for a-then world record fee. The confidence Shepherd showed in completing the deal persuaded Hall, who wanted to retire to Spain, to effectively offload the day-to-day running of the club to Shepherd as chairman, and his son Douglas as the active Hall family member on the board. Shepherd agreed with his brother Bruce to take the position, while Bruce continued to run Shepherd Offshore. Shepherd owned almost all of his Newcastle shares through Shepherd Offshore. Unlike the Halls, who had been steadily selling off their shares since floatation in 1997, the Shepherds increased their holding. They owned 28.01% of the club, up from about 22% in April 2005. Since 1997, the Shepherds have made ₤8,351,298 from Newcastle United, ₤5,489,239 in share dividends and ₤2,862,059 in salaries. In 2005, Shepherd's annual salary from the club was £552,954.

Agree 100% with you. Its baffling that more people can't see it!

We should be competing with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, not selling our best players to them or anyone else who offers enough money.

We should be competing with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, not selling our best players to them or anyone else who offers enough money.

Could it not be argued that Liverpool are taking one huge financial gamble in an attempt to get back into the top four next season? If they don't [finish top four], they could well see their owners reversing their current spending plans and end up having to sell players in order to claw some money back.

Stick or twist. I guess we're very much sticking for quite a while to come.

Came in here expecting to see posts and posts laughing about the price, should have known it would be another one of those thread :lol:

I skipped from page 2 to 7 and it has inexorably lurched from a discussion about 1 particular player to same boring old fucking argument, yet again.

Leazes man, I don't care who "started it" who is right, who is wrong, just stow this shit, it's tedious beyond compare. If you WANT to talk about this, start a new thread?

I skipped from page 2 to 7 and it has inexorably lurched from a discussion about 1 particular player to same boring old fucking argument, yet again.

Leazes man, I don't care who "started it" who is right, who is wrong, just stow this shit, it's tedious beyond compare. If you WANT to talk about this, start a new thread?

Surely it can all stay in one thread? Considering it is the same boring discussion that has been going on for about 5 years?

It's absolutely mental it still needs discussion, have anything ever been discused over this length of time without a conclusion?

oh, fuck off man.

Either contribute sensibly [by realising that I am right] or blame the derailing on the tosspots who have their heads up their arse and continue to post a load of rubbish.

What I am saying, I've said for nearly 4 years, and it is becoming more and more obvious that it is the truth and the way this club is heading.

Liverpool are buying players who, in the opinion of their manager, are quality footballers who will raise them above also rans and give them a quality team. This is the way to do it.

Only idiots of the highest order with a real axe to grind or a hatred, or plain stupidity, would turn their nose up and criticise such a policy. Especially when they were happy enough when we adopted it ourselves.

Deluded and hypocrites.

Edited by LeazesMag

What I am saying, I've said for nearly 4 years,

That's the point though, isn't it? This is all you've said, for 4 years! :lol:

Let me guess, leazesmag ruining another thread is he? What a surprise.

let me guess, Gloomy giving me flak for saying what he criticised me for saying for years but now agrees

He's not the only one tbh

I'm not ruining anything, the likes of Gloomy have got what they wanted, they should stop moaning.

What I am saying, I've said for nearly 4 years,

That's the point though, isn't it? This is all you've said, for 4 years! :lol:

the rest of that post is orientated towards the title of the thread, so stick to it, reply to it, instead of cutting it and derailing it

Could it not be argued that Liverpool are taking one huge financial gamble in an attempt to get back into the top four next season? If they don't [finish top four], they could well see their owners reversing their current spending plans and end up having to sell players in order to claw some money back.

Stick or twist. I guess we're very much sticking for quite a while to come.

Aye, but who sticks on 12? :lol:

We can't fucking afford it man !!!!

BTW the Stadium debt/Mortgage was £45 Million, the rest of the debt plus the £27Mill owed on transfer fee's was sadly not used for, or generated from, such sensible projects.

He's not the only one tbh

I'm not ruining anything, the likes of Gloomy have got what they wanted, they should stop moaning.

Your most odious argument in a nutshell - the idea that people "deserve" the current situation somehow.