Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

To be fair to Aeris and Christmas Tree (god I feel dirty now)I think they have a point in that Marveaux is more likely to look for a pass to play someone in than Ben Arfa. When Ben Arfa is looking to assist, he tends to do it by beating players and getting into the box and more simply laying it off when he's created the space by taking the opposition out. Marveaux (while also capable of beating a man but to a lesser extent) is more likely to look for the type of pass that he did yesterday.

Anyone in their right mind would take HBA over Marveaux like because he's simply on a different level overall and I think part of this is because of Marveaux's small heart. I don't think he's quite as bad as BW makes out (that's more Obertan) but you wouldn't want him with you in the trenches!

:lol:

34946235.jpg

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well every player will use their biggest assets if they have any sense. HBA uses more dribbling and Marveaux will attempt more of those slide rule passes. They are both using vision in different ways though.

I don't think Ben Arfa would have ever picked that pass out and I don't think Marveaux would have ever beat the players Ben Arfa did for his goals against Blackburn and Bolton.

There are some mental aspects of attacking team-play where I have a reason to believe Marv might be having certain advantages over Ben Arfa, regarding the central playmaker role. If we had a situation where we could only choose one of the two, something we don't have since they favor different positions, I'd still choose Ben-Arfa any day though since it would mean a bigger certainty of scoring.

:spit:

:spit: didnt know you were that stupid...

Bit touchy eh? I know what you mean, read the posts after yours that explained a lot better what you were trying to say. Thing is at the moment there is nothing Marveaux is better at. Yes it was a lovely pass yesterday and I do like the guy but on the basis of one moment of brilliance to compare him to someone who ran the whole league ragged last season is a bit premature.

After tonight we got to agree he's special. Of the players we have at our disposal, he's shown he has something about his game only he manages to do, that also includes compared to Cabaye and Ben Arfa.

Edited by Aeris

There's a fine line between pleasure and pain with Marveaux it seems. Certainly can be a game changer though as he's willing to try things and is technically very good.

The cross was the only decent thing he did all night.

Give over :lol:

He was constantly trying to find a way through and got several balls in that we didn't convert. Also took players on and got a few shots away.

As on Sunday again, all that matters is having a player with that skill on the pitch to set up the vital goals.

Two games, two vital assists.

Why is CT ignoring the 90% of games Marveaux goes missing in?

The guys got more assists than anyone else yet has hardly started. Got a little run in the team around Christmas, did well and was dropped.

Is he going to run back crunching into tackles? No

Is he one of the few capable of unlocking tight defences? Yes

Regardless of what some would have us believe, there is more to playing football than tracking back.

If their free kick that hit the bar went in it would be an entirely different attitude in here.

Over 90 minutes the only player of ours to come out with any credit was Stevie Taylor.

Marveaux has stepped up at a crucial moment...again....as did Cisse....again. Hopefully they can both start bringing some consistency to games.

If their free kick that hit the bar went in it would be an entirely different attitude in here.

Over 90 minutes the only player of ours to come out with any credit was Stevie Taylor.

He's stepped up at a crucial moment...again....as did Cisse....again. Hopefully they can both start bringing some consistency to games.

I think you are being very harsh. It was a good scrap and lots of players put a good graft in. I was even impressed with Jonas shift in the middle.

Sylvain Marveaux marked his tenth Europa League appearance of the season with an eye-catching display against Anzhi

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Managing Editor

No Newcastle United player has made more Europa League appearances this term than Sylvain Marveaux .

And the Frenchman showed his teammates once again just how its done on the continental stage as the Magpies booked their place in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Papiss Cisse grabbed a stoppage-time winner to see off Anzhi Makhachkala at St. James' Park with a 1-0 aggregrate victory, rising highest to head home with the final touch of the match.

Marveaux was the architect, cutting in off the right touchline to swing an inch-perfect cross onto the striker's head, and he was in superb form throughout on a memorable night on Tyneside.

Not for the first team either in European action, following on from eye-catching displays against the likes of Club Brugges, Maritimo and Metalist Kharkiv.

And it is a tournament which has been kind to the former Rennes man, who was making his tenth Europa League appearance of the season.

"At first, it was the only way for me to play!" joked the midfield schemer.

"I wasn't playing in the Premier League earlier in the year so I had to try and take my chance in the Europa League.

"It's a very open style of football and you have more time on the ball, so maybe it suits me quite well. But it has also let me show the manager what I can do and show I can play whenever he needs me.

"I just want to play. I'm here, doing my job, I'm in form and hopefully the manager will pick me again on Sunday."

Marveaux was outstanding against United's Russian opponents, constantly tormenting their rearguard with his trickery and movement.

And the 26-year-old believes Newcastle were worthy winners.

"It was a hard game, very intense, and the last goal was a big relief for us," he explained.

"But we deserved it and I'm really happy. We had more possession of the ball and had plenty of chances, especially when they got the red card.

"It was all about finding that moment, and Papiss is a goalscorer so we knew he was going to deliver."

Marveaux has stepped up at a crucial moment...again....as did Cisse....again. Hopefully they can both start bringing some consistency to games.

Agreed. Taylor was excellent. Apart from that it was dire stuff. If I were an Anzhi fan Im sure I'd be feeling hard done.

You can tell CT watches no other football. Marveaux, is a tidy little player with a good left peg. He is not a different class level talent on the ball ffs. As always, there's literally no middle ground.

Your point is?

I've said many times I only watch us.

I've also never claimed that Marveaux is anything more than one of "our" best creative players, which he is.

So when you have a fully fit midfield and attack of Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Guffroun, Ben Arfa and Cisse, just where does Marveaux fit in other then a useful sub? And even when Ben Arfa is out, Jonas seems to be preferred. Agreed he has the ability to change a game and has done so on our last two occasions, but he goes missing for long periods. I can't see him breaking into first team action in the PL unless we get a a list of injuries or suspensions.

So when you have a fully fit midfield and attack of Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Guffroun, Ben Arfa and Cisse, just where does Marveaux fit in other then a useful sub? And even when Ben Arfa is out, Jonas seems to be preferred. Agreed he has the ability to change a game and has done so on our last two occasions, but he goes missing for long periods. I can't see him breaking into first team action in the PL unless we get a a list of injuries or suspensions.

Didn't go missing last night. Would have been motm but for Taylor.

Team should be geared towards giving him the ball at every opportunity.