Newcastle United vs Everton match thread

Monroe Transfer

Thought Jonas was horrible going forward today, but fantastic at the back near the end especially when we were struggling. Amazing effort by Colo and co. again as well, hell never thought I'd see Newcastle defend like this! Needed a fair bit of luck for despite all that today though. Sammy seemed more like an Ameobi today than Shola does, legs all over the place!

Just dont get why Ben Arfa didnt start today instead of Marveaux, not that Marveaux didnt do well, but given Obertan's injury it really should have been Ben Arfa into the team. That might have to do more with his disgruntlement than not getting into a winning team etc etc.

Loving the way we are winning even when not playing too well, you could see half the lads were dead tired today but put in a great shift nonetheless! Long may it continue. Bring on City! :nufc:

Think he should have started today.

There is going to be problems soon if he doesn't get games.

He's not the type to be happy on the bench for a prolonged period.

Looked class the few touches he had.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who won't completely be happy until we reach 40 points?

I thought when I saw the league table "well on our way to safety there"

Am I the only one who won't completely be happy until we reach 40 points?

No. There's this bloke Tecato. You two should meet up and talk about 'how too much sugar is bad for you' and the like.

Way I see it - fairly comfortable first half. They had a couple of chances but we were good value for a 2-0 lead.

But their goal changed everything, I think if we'd have kept it at 2-0 till say the 55th minute mark, we'd probably go on and get another goal. They had the momentum from that point.

Whilst I'd still like us to get a big win some day (by this point least season we'd already won a game 6-0, and another 5-1), I can't really fault the lads since we were clearly looking tired, and our midfield was and now has been further ravaged by injuries. I think Guthrie and Gosling did a good job regardless.

To be honest I think the international break could really not have come at a better time.

Thought Jonas was horrible going forward today, but fantastic at the back near the end especially when we were struggling. Amazing effort by Colo and co. again as well, hell never thought I'd see Newcastle defend like this! Needed a fair bit of luck for despite all that today though. Sammy seemed more like an Ameobi today than Shola does, legs all over the place!

Just dont get why Ben Arfa didnt start today instead of Marveaux, not that Marveaux didnt do well, but given Obertan's injury it really should have been Ben Arfa into the team. That might have to do more with his disgruntlement than not getting into a winning team etc etc.

Loving the way we are winning even when not playing too well, you could see half the lads were dead tired today but put in a great shift nonetheless! Long may it continue. Bring on City! :nufc:

are you kidding about sammy? he managed to get to the byline nearly everytime he picked it up he was a great outlet and ate up plenty of time at the end in doing so.

as for the Marv v ben arfa argument, ben arfa was anonymous as a starter against blackburn while today marveaux was good, ran well, worked hard and looked a good player, Ben arfa isnt an out and out winger and pardew clearly isnt going to use him as one, the sooner people get this the better, other than his reputation why do people think ben arfa should be getting in automatically because it cant be based on performances

All Im saying about Sammy is that he seems to have the same style as his brother. Not judging anyone on one game anyway.

Why did Marveaux get in automatically? We've seen more of Bafra than we have of him. We know he is class, he showed that today, needs game time. If Obertan was playing, and with the not changing a winning side argument and all, I get it. But I dont see any reason why Marveaux got drafted in instead of Bafra. Anyway who's to argue with Pards at the moment, must have had a reason :P

are you kidding about sammy? he managed to get to the byline nearly everytime he picked it up he was a great outlet and ate up plenty of time at the end in doing so.

as for the Marv v ben arfa argument, ben arfa was anonymous as a starter against blackburn while today marveaux was good, ran well, worked hard and looked a good player, Ben arfa isnt an out and out winger and pardew clearly isnt going to use him as one, the sooner people get this the better, other than his reputation why do people think ben arfa should be getting in automatically because it cant be based on performances

All Im saying about Sammy is that he seems to have the same style as his brother. Not judging anyone on one game anyway.

Why did Marveaux get in automatically? We've seen more of Bafra than we have of him. We know he is class, he showed that today, needs game time. If Obertan was playing, and with the not changing a winning side argument and all, I get it. But I dont see any reason why Marveaux got drafted in instead of Bafra. Anyway who's to argue with Pards at the moment, must have had a reason :P

Because pardew will watch these players every day in training and, given our current run, deserves more respect for his decisions than people crying out for ben arfa to be shoehorned into any open attacking spot.

Marveaux is also an actual winger being played on the wing

Because pardew will watch these players every day in training and, given our current run, deserves more respect for his decisions than people crying out for ben arfa to be shoehorned into any open attacking spot.

Marveaux is also an actual winger being played on the wing

Thats what I said at the end of my post. Mind you if we had had a different result today it might have been a bigger issue, but alls well that ends well. Just want to see Ben Arfa get playing time, because on form he is the best player we have imo, judging on the few games he has played for us. Needs to learn to pass it though, sometimes its as if he thinks he's bloody Messi.

I was shiting myself when Cabaye went off then they scored but we kept at it depite the injuries and to get 6 points from our last two games is a great testament to the teams workrate and belief. Read and saw a few pundits predictions of this game and almost to a man they said 'draw', (Lawro went for an Everton win). I think they're enjoying proving people wrong, (and I include myself in that list). I'm actually not as worried about the next three games as I don't think the same pressure will be on to get three points as there was against Everton today and our last home game v Wigan. As long as the workrate keeps going we'll get what we get and move on.

P.S. Had a look at RTG. I never realised just how well we are doing considering our side is littered with 'Championship' players. Makes our run look even better! :D

Man City/Utd away are the types of game that - if you were to lose - you'd want to lose. We've got the points against the lesser sides, now like said above there's less pressure on us against the above and Chelsea. To get anything from those 3 would be great. There are a few teams nearing our position (Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea), and we'd still be amongst them even if we don't get much out of the next 3 games.

"Alan Pardew is looking forward to a fortnight without a game for his Newcastle United side, so they can hopefully get some of their walking wounded back to fitness.

Already without the likes of Cheik Tiote (knee), Shola Ameobi (hamstring) and Gabriel Obertan (toe), Saturday's 2-1 victory over Everton at St. James' Park came at a cost as another trio of players suffered injuries which forced them off.

Midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux, and striker Leon Best all hobbled off during the win, to leave the Magpies' squad looking stretched to the limit.

But there is now an international break, meaning Newcastle are not back in action until 19th November when they travel to Manchester City. And that gives the Club's medical staff some time to work with the players. 

"Cabaye felt his groin, Best hurt his toe and groin and Sylvain did his groin as well," explained Pardew.

"When you get clipped like that, it opens up the groin. Two of them were identical kinds of injury. My guess is both those will miss Man City, but we will have to wait and see.

"We are probably missing too many at the moment - no Cheik, no Obertan, no Sylvain, no Cabaye, no Shola - we are a little bit down on numbers, so it would be nice to get a couple back for two weeks' time."