Bruce sacked.

Guest CabayeAye

O'Neill will get them organised and make them a difficult team to beat. I can't see him taking them to European spots though. I think that 9th/10th is the best he could possibly do. Though that's still a very good finish for a club like Sunderland.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin O'Neill has agreed to succeed Steve Bruce as Sunderland manager, BBC Sport understands.

O'Neill, whose last managerial job was at Villa Park, has been regularly tipped for vacant posts at high-profile teams in the last 12 months and was the bookmakers' favourite.

Mebeez that was the clincher, mebeez he didn't want a high profile job and this is how we've got this mornings outcome.

he's surely the best they could hope for and he'll do a decent enough job I reckon. Talk of Europe is utter pie in the sky though and unless they sign someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net I sense a lot of hard fought draws for them till the end of the season.

The mackem at work (really) is pretty underwhelmed by the notion of O'Neill. He's canny sensible though in fairness.

I can't see how they could have expected anyone better. Who was he looking? Ancelotti?

The mackem at work (really) is pretty underwhelmed by the notion of O'Neill. He's canny sensible though in fairness.

I can't see how they could have expected anyone better. Who was he looking? Ancelotti?

He's not a deluded type. He would have liked to see them go with someone who might have new ideas, like Paul Lambert or Lee Clark or someone like that (alhough he accepts the latter wasn't really an option under the circumstances).

Didn't he sign an awful lot of shit for an awful lot of money at Villa?

Mixed bag I think. They turned a good profit on Milner, Young and Downing but there's also the likes of Harewood, Reo-Coker and Curtis Davies.

Do they actually have mods on RTG? Never seen such a mess of a forum in my life.

Instead of a couple of threads on O'Neill, they've got about 30 and rising. Half of them saying the same thing.

I know this board has a lot less members but it's taken over 6 years to accrue twice as many pages of threads as they've created since October this year.

They're fuckin nobs man, at the stop of the site there's a big sticky "po-al fwoah oo we wunt uz manajur" then below there's 3 or 4 people starting threads "we nead t dee a poahl t see oo moast of us would tak". There's not one way possible you could look down your nose more at mackems more than I do. They are the most incredible bunch of tramps you've ever seen, maybe scousers are very marginally more trampy, but scousers have a deluded belief they're someones, mackems accept deap dewn they're not.

So you don't mind Mackems really?

Didn't he sign an awful lot of shit for an awful lot of money at Villa?

Mixed bag I think. They turned a good profit on Milner, Young and Downing but there's also the likes of Harewood, Reo-Coker and Curtis Davies.

Was going to mention those 3. Spent a lot of money on Cuellar too iirc. Spent a lot of dosh there either way though.

Edited by alex

good appointment for them tbf

He's cash hungry though.

The fact he's taken the job suggests he's been offered a decent kitty in January as well. Looks like Short and Quinn aren't going to learn.

I think he'll make them hard to beat but then again, how hard is it to beat a defence with Wes Brown and Bramble in it?

good appointment for them tbf

He's cash hungry though.

The fact he's taken the job suggests he's been offered a decent kitty in January as well. Looks like Short and Quinn aren't going to learn.

I think he'll make them hard to beat but then again, how hard is it to beat a defence with Wes Brown and Bramble in it?

:lol:

I quite like/rate O'Neil. He's not the messiah and he's done nowt really but he is very good at getting the best out of average players. However, he's also got history of spitting his dummy out if he doesn't get what he wants.

I think we'd have all been happy if MON was appointed here.

Saying that, I don't think he knows what a decent centre midfielder is, so he'll be chuffed with Cattermole and the rest of the shite he has there.

I would have been over the moon with O'Neill here in the past and I still think there are a lot of worse managers about but I do think his time has been and gone and he sounds more and more like he's lost it all the time recently.

Certainly on paper he looks like he should be the best manager they will have had in the last 20 years (doesn't mean a hell of a lot with them lot like) but my gut feeling is he while I don't think he'll be a spectacular failure, he won't make any massive strides forward with them either.

I would have been over the moon with O'Neill here in the past and I still think there are a lot of worse managers about but I do think his time has been and gone and he sounds more and more like he's lost it all the time recently.

Certainly on paper he looks like he should be the best manager they will have had in the last 20 years (doesn't mean a hell of a lot with them lot like) but my gut feeling is he while I don't think he'll be a spectacular failure, he won't make any massive strides forward with them either.

It's good that it's MON as expectations will be sky high and the comedown will be hysterical....