January Transfer window 2012- Deadline Day Madness

Lake Bells tits

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate we didn't get the center back but looking at us now compared to this time last year, we have 2 good strikers (obviously Cisse's not proven but we've spent 9 million so at least the ambition is there) and haven't sold anyone in January, also we've gotten rid of Smith for the rest of the season, absolutely delighted.

Appreciate we didn't get the center back but looking at us now compared to this time last year, we have 2 good strikers (obviously Cisse's not proven but we've spent 9 million so at least the ambition is there) and haven't sold anyone in January, also we've gotten rid of Smith for the rest of the season, absolutely delighted.

Indeed it is and most of us would have snapped this result off with both hands before the window opened.

Almost worthy of a :banana:

aye, smith out is a big one

just imagine how much the standard of training matches will have changed with Cisse in and him out

Hope not signing a centre back or two doesn't end up biting us on the arse....we're one bad injury away from Danny Simpson at CB for the rest of the season...am sure the club knows what its doing though :glare:

people would be complaining if we'd paid over the odds for Mariappa though which we wisely refused to do.

Colocinni getting a new contract now is a must in the next month or so, Ba and Cisse back in the side will be a big boost, can see the system of late staying the same with them replacing Best and Shola respectively but the increase in quality of those two positions will be immense and will have an effect on the rest of the team

Colo isnt signing a new deal, if he wanted to stay he'd have signed by now. He's aiming for the same as Enrique, but may be sold before his contract is allowed to run down completely. Ba scored 2 belters v Norwich and it still wasnt enough because we were shite at the back. Simpson was beaten all ends up by a divi 2 journeyman on Saturday which led to their winner. Santon looked awful v both Fulham and Brighton.

I realise it's not as bad as I've painted it, but it's yet another roll of the dice by Ashley when we should be in a posistion of strength and be seen as a good option for any half decent young player as I'm sure Mariappa is thinking as we speak. Don't know if he'd have been any good or not but we've been left short in a vital posistion and there is really no need for it.

Edited by PaddockLad

Colo isnt signing a new deal, if he wanted to stay he'd have signed by now.

Nonsense.

The club had said on numerous occasions that all contract talks were on hold till after the window. Guthrie, Simpson, Colo and more.

Fair enough complaining about what it's front of us - i.e. our simply woeful lack of defensive cover - but I don't see the need for negative assumptions.

Certainly more positive than I was this time last year. However, the search for a new centre back should have been an absolute priority.

By all accounts it was. Was all Pardew talked about before and during the window. He knew for a long that we desperately needed cover in that area.

I'm sure they tried but I don't understand why we couldn't bring someone in on loan or a short term contract. If one or two get injured, our options at the back are so bad that almost anyone would be an improvement on them.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

The lack of defensive cover is depressing. Even a short term loan of an experienced CB would have done me. I can't understand the attitude....it's almost like we say "Fuck it, let's see how bad it really gets, and then maybe we'll do something." We did the same after Carroll was sold, when any fool could see a new striker was urgent but at least there arguably there was little time.....we've had weeks to line up a loan deal.

On the bright side, at least no-one's been flogged, I'm made up about that.

Think the player recruitment side of the club has earned a slight bit of trust and patience. Would rather wait til summer and have a bit extra cash to get a really good centre half in ala Cisse.

Agree with this. Theres talk of this Douglas from Twente in the summer and possibly other targets.

I also wonder if Perch's fine display the other night has convinced them they can manage to get through the next 3 months.

Still just so pleased we lost no one.

Hope not signing a centre back or two doesn't end up biting us on the arse....we're one bad injury away from Danny Simpson at CB for the rest of the season...am sure the club knows what its doing though :glare:

people would be complaining if we'd paid over the odds for Mariappa though which we wisely refused to do.

Colocinni getting a new contract now is a must in the next month or so, Ba and Cisse back in the side will be a big boost, can see the system of late staying the same with them replacing Best and Shola respectively but the increase in quality of those two positions will be immense and will have an effect on the rest of the team

Colo isnt signing a new deal, if he wanted to stay he'd have signed by now. He's aiming for the same as Enrique, but may be sold before his contract is allowed to run down completely. Ba scored 2 belters v Norwich and it still wasnt enough because we were shite at the back. Simpson was beaten all ends up by a divi 2 journeyman on Saturday which led to their winner. Santon looked awful v both Fulham and Brighton.

I realise it's not as bad as I've painted it, but it's yet another roll of the dice by Ashley when we should be in a posistion of strength and be seen as a good option for any half decent young player as I'm sure Mariappa is thinking as we speak. Don't know if he'd have been any good or not but we've been left short in a vital posistion and there is really no need for it.

With our position and points it's not a gamble at all to leave the defence alone. There's no difference between 7th and 17th in the big picture. Though I do agree with your disappointment.

Thankfully we didn't cash in on anyone, whether this is by choice or not is open to further question. The money changing hands in the Premier League this window was 70% down on last year, there was nothing happening. Had offers come in to tempt our owner for Coloccini, Tiote, Ba, Krul etc. then we still don't know what he would have done. I'm happy those offers never materialised and we kept our best players. Going on past experience I can't imagine we'd have put up much of a fight beyond haggling the price if offers did come in though. This window does nothing to calm my nerves on that score for the summer.

Unforunately, since Taylor was injured only Wolves and Wigan have conceded more than us and we've had no help from the boardroom to stop that. We really needed to add some quality there if we're going to maintain our position and push Arsenal & Liverpool to the season end. Happy to have a new number 9, but scoring hasn't been a problem really, only Man U, Man City, Spurs & Blackburn scored more than us in the same period.

Disappointed we didn't sign some defensive cover but at least we didn't lose anyone of worth, not the best transfer window but not the worst I guess. Just failed to show sufficient commitment to us working at keeping our lofty league position. On the up side I suppose the teams around us didn't strengthen much either.

Everything going just as predicted then Leazes? Dont tell me, 'just wait till the summer'?

;)

I can tell you now in true Leighton Baines style Tiote's away to Chelsea for £23m in June.

The most gutting thing for me about this transfer window is Best knocked Celtic back, I was proper getting my hopes up he'd go there score 20 in 15 games, and we'd be rid of him for a big fee in the summer.

Everything going just as predicted then Leazes? Dont tell me, 'just wait till the summer'?

;)

I can tell you now in true Leighton Baines style Tiote's away to Chelsea for £23m in June.

Why did it not happen in January?