Newcastle United - Aston Villa 2-1

Aeris

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a scuff? A SCUFF?

bollocks, great hit!

Indeed it was... a scuff doesn't fly into the top corner like that. Off the outside of his boot granted, but so was the fantastic Tiote goal. Two wonderful strikes.

and that "block" on raylor by warnock was a red card tackle

Why does Cabaye get a 3 match ban and not Warnock?

That's what I've been thinking since I saw it, the ref obviously missed the incident so now they've had time to look over it again Warnock should be banned.

and that "block" on raylor by warnock was a red card tackle

Why does Cabaye get a 3 match ban and not Warnock?

Cabayes was intentional but softer, whereas Warnock's was reckless but infinitely more dangerous so it will be bizarre if (and when,) the FA do nothing

It was an intentional shank to misdirect the keeper, he has done this throughout his career. If you watch Given's eyes he is watching Cisse's laces when he strikes the ball and moves his bodyweight in that direction, only for the ball to fly into the opposite corner. A lot of African players develop this technique because it is hard to strike the ball true in the desert, as opposed to on a flat pitch made of grass.

No I think hes a international quality striker, I don't think he has to think about it to do it it was instinct

players try stuff like that all the time and it usually flies into the stands, this time it came off

or was rooneys volley against us a fluke to? since he volleyed it from even further out but "shanked" it (ie cut across the ball as he hit it)

It was an intentional shank to misdirect the keeper, he has done this throughout his career. If you watch Given's eyes he is watching Cisse's laces when he strikes the ball and moves his bodyweight in that direction, only for the ball to fly into the opposite corner. A lot of African players develop this technique because it is hard to strike the ball true in the desert, as opposed to on a flat pitch made of grass.

:lol:

If you watch this video of Nigeria vs Korea in 2010 WC, you will see Yakubu attempt this technique as well, only to miss the opportunity. An English player would use the traditional technique of striking the football with his foot, as he is used to playing on flat pitches made of grass. African players are more likely to attempt a shot with their shinbone, toes, or ankle. It is a less consistent technique in terms of accuracy, but it has the advantage of misdirecting the goalkeeper. Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Do you honestly think he chested it down, 18yards out, with a man closing him down and thought 'I'm going to cut across this at a 45degree angle so it flies off my boot sideways into the top corner?

Where was he aiming for then? Are you saying he wanted to hit it more towards the centre of the goal but it was a slight mis-hit which took it to the point where a striker would actually be aiming for? And you got a close look at his laces? Not sure how you picked all that up from Sky's coverage.

Guest CabayeAye

I've actually played football in the African dessert with the locals, and I can honestly say there was none of this. This is probably because the pitch consisted entirely of thorn bushes and the main emphasis was on not impaling your self through the legs whilst the local kids run across fearsome looking bushes barefoot laughing at you mincing around.