Newcastle United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Christmas Tree

Yet Cabaye's last 2 games before he was banned for kicking an opponent in the face were a 5-2 battering by Fulham and an awful 1-0 defeat against Brighton, in both games Guthrie had a better game than him in my opinion.

In Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, [newcastle] boast one of the best central midfield partnerships in the land.

Great article that.

;)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a 5 nowt drubbing I'd ring the changes wherever possible.

Perch and Guthrie out, Cabaye and Tiote in is about as straightforward a change as it's possible to make.

Yet Cabaye's last 2 games before he was banned for kicking an opponent in the face were a 5-2 battering by Fulham and an awful 1-0 defeat against Brighton, in both games Guthrie had a better game than him in my opinion.

So when Cabaye has an off day, the whole team suffers. When Guthrie plays to his best it has little impact on the result.

I'd put my faith in Cabaye being hungry to put in a performance at home after missing a few games, however he might have underperformed on the road before his ban.

What are you basing the first statement on? Cabaye was a passenger against Everton and Guthrie was the best player on the pitch for me, then you've got the QPR game where Cabaye went oft injured and Guthrie dominated the midfield.

The key is Tiote, Cabaye has had the luxury of playing plenty of games with him and they've been excellent, however take Tiote away and he's not been that great at all IMO and has been outperformed by Guthrie of late, who hasn't had the Tiote luxury this season.

What are you basing the first statement on? Cabaye was a passenger against Everton and Guthrie was the best player on the pitch for me, then you've got the QPR game where Cabaye went oft injured and Guthrie dominated the midfield.

The key is Tiote, Cabaye has had the luxury of playing plenty of games with him and they've been excellent, however take Tiote away and he's not been that great at all IMO and has been outperformed by Guthrie of late, who hasn't had the Tiote luxury this season.

I was basing it on what you posted.

I'm sure all the top scouts have noticed the Guthminator and look forward to the 8 figure offers for him in the summer.

Edited by Happy Face

I'm sure all the top scouts have noticed the Guthminator and look forward to the 8 figure offers for him in the summer.

It seems unless you're being contrary or sarcastic you can't debate football to save your life.

It seems unless you're being contrary or sarcastic you can't debate football to save your life.

You liked an article someone wrote though or something, so that proves you're wrong.

FWIW i think Cabaye is definitely the more creative player but i accept your point about Guthrie's performances being good enough to be in strong consideration for a starting place. Would be harsh on either of them in a way but Tiote is the key to our defensive game so its one of them choices for Pardew.

Cabaye will start imo.

Sarcasm is all that remains as I've pointed out that Guthrie provides none of the goals and none of the assists Cabaye does and obviously that's what we need without Raylor (our other top assist provider) and alongside Tiote (who does neither).

You can repeat your opinion that Guthrie has played better here and there, and we could list the games where Cabaye did better (it's not worth me repeating others here though). I could also add the fact that Cabaye was an ever present in our 11 game unbeaten run and has only played in 5 defeats all season despite playing 21 games wheras we've lost 4 of the 10 games Guthrie played.

But it's pointless, because it's clear to anyone with even a passing interest that Cabaye is just better than Guthrie and for someone to claim otherwise and then call others contrary is irony in the extreme.

Cabaye should start and probably will, is it fair to Guthrie as he has played well? maybe not but Cabaye is a better player. I'd start Guthrie on the right as Obertan doesn't merit selection anymore and Taylor is coming off injury.

Do it!

as long as Im not one of them...

slightly more seriously though, theres got to be a problem when we've got an admin/site redesigner who barely posts in the main forum because its full of insufferable knobheads

Edited by Semimental

Guest CabayeAye

i'm going need to step down as an admin before i actually do go power mad and clear out some of the dross we've picked up recently

I can change, I promise!

Guest CabayeAye

The new dross doesn't hold this forum back, it's the old do-gooder dross that have insured leazesmag has immunity, for some strange reason

Nooooooo.....

You've infected this thread with the L word!!!

Cabaye certainly has a better pedigree than Guthrie, there can be no denying of that.

However Guthrie really has stepped it up to a new level in his performances this season so the point where there really isn't a great deal between them. They're both not without their negative points - they can both spend a little too much time on the ball and sometimes try to be a little to precise with their passing ie. try something that's not on - but they both can be superb strikers of the ball and an excellent passing ability. Cabaye has an additional level of tenacity that usually serves him well but can sometimes get him into trouble like when he gave away a needless penalty, or through picking up yellow cards.

It's ultimately Cabaye's position in our side that Guthrie is currently filling, but based on the merit of his performances I don't believe that Cabaye should be instantly thrust back into the side. Taking into mind their current performances we're not losing a lot by having him there and he probably deserves a chance to play alongside Tiote. Taking him out of the side now whilst he's in good form may hinder his development.

Now that it has been discussed at length they'll probably both get injured and the Perch will make an ominious return.

Sarcasm is all that remains as I've pointed out that Guthrie provides none of the goals and none of the assists Cabaye does and obviously that's what we need without Raylor (our other top assist provider) and alongside Tiote (who does neither).

You can repeat your opinion that Guthrie has played better here and there, and we could list the games where Cabaye did better (it's not worth me repeating others here though). I could also add the fact that Cabaye was an ever present in our 11 game unbeaten run and has only played in 5 defeats all season despite playing 21 games wheras we've lost 4 of the 10 games Guthrie played.

But it's pointless, because it's clear to anyone with even a passing interest that Cabaye is just better than Guthrie and for someone to claim otherwise and then call others contrary is irony in the extreme.

So he should have more assists, he's the main set piece taker in the side and has been all season. Stats will tell me Nolan offered more in terms of goal threat which is why I judge it on what I see and not what Wikipedia tells me.

Your whole argument is Cabaye gas been better by association, that we were better in the first 11 games when he was a regular so that means he's been the better performer this season, all it tells me is that we miss Tiote when he doesn't play.

I've asked you to name what games he's outperformed Guthrie in when they've played together yet you can't, I've also mentioned that he's far from impressive when he hasn't got Tiote in there to hold his hand either but again no comment on that, your whole point seems tone he's been more impressive because he's Yohan Cabaye. End of story and no debating it.

As for Ant threatening to ban people because he doesn't agree with them, give your head a shake man.

I dont think its as simple as saying one is better in every scenario. Cabaye seems to be the better of the two when Tiote plays. Tiote allows Cabaye to get forward more. When Tiote is out it seems to smother Cabaye's game and suit Guthries more imo. So, assuming Tiote is in the side, play Cabaye.

I've asked you to name what games he's outperformed Guthrie in when they've played together yet you can't,

They've played together for 4 games when you take out cameos. Stoke, Man City, Man u and Chelsea. Of those I'd say Guthrie might have been been the better player against Stoke.

Looks like Walter Smith in the dug out for Wolves. Always liked Walter, seemed a good honest bloke, no bigotry in him unlike Souness.

That's in contrast to how I view Wolves fans, aggressive dour arseholes like Stoke, it's mad because WBA seem to have canny fans whenever I've been around them.

I've asked you to name what games he's outperformed Guthrie in when they've played together yet you can't,

They've played together for 4 games when you take out cameos. Stoke, Man City, Man u and Chelsea. Of those I'd say Guthrie might have been been the better player against Stoke.

I had Guthrie as the better player against all of those apart from Man City, I'd throw the Fulham game in there too as they both played the majority of. I thought Guthrie was man of the match in the Everton and QPR games too which Cabaye didn't look particularly impressive in before he went off.

Maybe JawS is right and without Tiote next to him Cabaye plays more of a subdued role but I would prefer to see what Guthrie looks like this season next to Tiote for a few games rather than watching him walk away for free in the summer.