Newcastle United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Christmas Tree

You play your best players at the end of the day. Tiote and Cabaye are our best central midfielders, without question.

I don't agree with that, how do you maintain a happy squad if you don't give anyone the chance to earn their place?

Reminds me of Robson telling Bowyer he would still be dropped for Dyer despite having a great game, must he terrible for the morale of squad players.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You play your best players at the end of the day. Tiote and Cabaye are our best central midfielders, without question.

I don't agree with that, how do you maintain a happy squad if you don't give anyone the chance to earn their place?

Reminds me of Robson telling Bowyer he would still be dropped for Dyer despite having a great game, must he terrible for the morale of squad players.

Meh... I'm not suggesting the above should be a blanket approach. Guthrie has done well, but he's not as good as Cabaye in my opinion and I'd rather put sentiment aside and play Cabaye over him. Besides, Pardew could just use the Spurs game as an excuse to drop Guthrie, as unfair as that sounds.

Guthrie doesn't deserve to lose his spot, but I could understand if Cabaye was started.

I do hope that Pardew isn't tempted to play Guthrie in a wide position just to include him because he doesn't play well in wide channels (historically).

This should be a completely different game to our last run out.

I'm really expecting a performance against Wolves. Two weeks off for those involved from the loss against Spurs with Cabaye, Tiote and even Ryan Taylor coming in we should batter them.

We haven't really missed Cabaye all that much thanks to Guthrie's performances. In saying that though, I don't think he should start it is a touch harsh on him since he has improved massively from last season but I think Cabaye edges it.

Guthrie doesn't deserve to lose his spot, but I could understand if Cabaye was started.

I do hope that Pardew isn't tempted to play Guthrie in a wide position just to include him because he doesn't play well in wide channels (historically).

I'd like a midfield of Guthrie Cabaye and Tiote with HBA Cisse and Ba playing ahead of them. Jonas has done nothing wrong, but I'd like to see HBA with Cabaye and the two Dembas to see if he can start dissecting their defence with his passing and vision. Not sure if Wolves are the best team to try it against as I'm fairly sure they'll start with 5 in midfield, overwhelming the central 3 by sheer weight of numbers.

Guest CabayeAye

You wouldn't drop a returning Coloccini if Perch had been good whilst filling in for him though, would you. Cabaye is just in a different league to Guthrie in terms of ability. I completely agree that Guthrie has been good whilst filling in, but at the end of the day, he's a squad player and if he wants regular first team football he needs to go to a borderline PL/Fizzy Pop team like QPR, Wolves or Sunderland ;).

Sounds harsh, but our core players - Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse need to play as much as possible. They are our key players and the rest of the team should be based around them. It's how the best teams are so successful.

Edited by CabayeAye

Guest CabayeAye

I'd like a midfield of Guthrie Cabaye and Tiote with HBA Cisse and Ba playing ahead of them. Jonas has done nothing wrong, but I'd like to see HBA with Cabaye and the two Dembas to see if he can start dissecting their defence with his passing and vision. Not sure if Wolves are the best team to try it against as I'm fairly sure they'll start with 5 in midfield, overwhelming the central 3 by sheer weight of numbers.

Not sure how that would fit together unless you did a diamond with Tiote back and HBA forward. Only problem with that is Santon and Simpson would get exposed, so you'd only employ that against a team with shit wide players. Advantage of course is that it removes our wingers who have been dreadful so far this season, so it would work against a team who we'd expect to dominate.

Sod it, do the diamond against Wolves, we'd score a hatful! :D

Going off this seasons form Cabaye hasn't been a step up on Guthrie though, I think they've been about on par to be honest and like I said to alex the other day, if Guthrie had came in in the summer from a French club we would be raving about him on this seasons performances.

Can't believe what I'm reading tbh.

Guthrie's been ok as a stop gap, but he's provided nowt outside of what was ultimately a consolation goal against Fulham.

Without Ryan Taylor we need someone to turn provider, and Cabaye is a class apart from Guthrie on that score.

Guthrie's been ok as a stop gap, but he's provided nowt outside of what was ultimately a consolation goal against Fulham.

Without Ryan Taylor we need someone to turn provider, and Cabaye is a class apart from Guthrie on that score.

I just don't see it, what games this season has Cabaye been this class player that has been so much better than Guthrie? Villa away springs to mind but that's about it. In fact was Villa the last time he put in anywhere near a man of the match display?

was beginning to think it's just me, even if you don't think Cabaye has been much better than Guthrie has been playing currently, he still has moments where he pulls something out of the bag that Guthrie will frankly never do he's currently playing well, it just happens that him being on his game is the equivalent of cabaye having average games imo.

There is no chance cabaye won't get given a start

Tiote/Cabaye/Ba/Cisse will all start without question tbh

What moments are you thinking about?

While you're at it, what games have they been on the pitch together and you could say Cabaye has been clearly the better player?

Cabaye is a very talented player and does well for us on the pitch. But then again, what the fuck does Baggio know?

I'm never optimistic when we play Wolves as we always tend to struggle against them. We should win but it won't be an easy 3 points - it'll have to be a strong performance to stop them bullying us off the ball.

I don't think Guthrie is a great player, but his performances of late have been far better than Obertan's (for example) as such I'd rather we played an on-form player in his favoured position (which is the centre of midfield). The issue with that is we can't drop either of the strikers (they're just too good) and we can't lose anyone from the back because 3 at the back is how the terrorists win. So that means we'd have to play without one from midfield. The only way to have Guthrie Cabaye and Tiote would be a fairly narrow midfield.

As I said in my first post today it's not going to happen because our fullbacks are good enough to have them so exposed.

I see Guthrie as the water carrier, (Cabaye the surgeon and Tiote the destroyer.) and he's done far better than Obertan, Ryan Taylor and, imo, Jonas. But he'll be dropped to accommodate Cabaye and Tiote (rightly so as they're better players) while Obertan will keep his place.

Wolves have failed in a fresh attempt to make Alan Curbishley their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Curbishley was interviewed for the job last week but pulled out of the running because he and the board did not share a vision for the club.

Wolves made another approach to the ex-Charlton and West Ham boss three days later but he turned them down again.

Phenomenal how these shit managers keep getting opportunities.

After a 5 nowt drubbing I'd ring the changes wherever possible.

Perch and Guthrie out, Cabaye and Tiote in is about as straightforward a change as it's possible to make.

Yet Cabaye's last 2 games before he was banned for kicking an opponent in the face were a 5-2 battering by Fulham and an awful 1-0 defeat against Brighton, in both games Guthrie had a better game than him in my opinion.

Wolves have failed in a fresh attempt to make Alan Curbishley their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Curbishley was interviewed for the job last week but pulled out of the running because he and the board did not share a vision for the club.

Wolves made another approach to the ex-Charlton and West Ham boss three days later but he turned them down again.

Phenomenal how these shit managers keep getting opportunities.

What has he done to be considered shit?

Cabaye scored the winner against Wigan, had a truly brilliant game against Man U (actually he was great against them in both games), was good against Norwich, and has had many games where he hasn't stood out but has been solid and better than our other options.

Guthrie has been great in his absence but Cabaye is the better player and has contributed much more to our success this season. Guthrie is more in the "engine room" mould (funny as that was always seen to be his weakness before this season) while Cabaye has that engine too but is also a reliable provider who our strikers obviously lacked against Spurs. I like Guthrie and he's a good option to come into the side when our main two are out for whatever reason but it has to be Cabaye.

After a 5 nowt drubbing I'd ring the changes wherever possible.

Perch and Guthrie out, Cabaye and Tiote in is about as straightforward a change as it's possible to make.

Yet Cabaye's last 2 games before he was banned for kicking an opponent in the face were a 5-2 battering by Fulham and an awful 1-0 defeat against Brighton, in both games Guthrie had a better game than him in my opinion.

So when Cabaye has an off day, the whole team suffers. When Guthrie plays to his best it has little impact on the result.

I'd put my faith in Cabaye being hungry to put in a performance at home after missing a few games, however he might have underperformed on the road before his ban.

was beginning to think it's just me, even if you don't think Cabaye has been much better than Guthrie has been playing currently, he still has moments where he pulls something out of the bag that Guthrie will frankly never do he's currently playing well, it just happens that him being on his game is the equivalent of cabaye having average games imo.

There is no chance cabaye won't get given a start

Tiote/Cabaye/Ba/Cisse will all start without question tbh

What moments are you thinking about?

While you're at it, what games have they been on the pitch together and you could say Cabaye has been clearly the better player?

According to Wiki

Cabaye has 3 goals and 5 assists. (One goal was worth 3 points by itself against Wigan)

Guthrie has 2 goals and no assists. (At least one of his goals was irrelevant as already mentioned)

I do think Guthrie has been good for us this season but its clear to anyone who watches that he doesn't have the same quality of service or on the ball as Cabaye. Wouldn't mind the 3 in midfield option that fish offered though.