NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Yeah I know I should wait until the end of the window and we can't judge until then, I also realise part if this is their way to squeeze every last penny. But by fuck it's frustrating.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: at everyone pretending Simpson is a horrible RB. He played more games than anyone in our best season in nearly a decade.

Until we sign a FB we need to start Santon and Simpson there

Absolutely agreed.

:lol: at everyone pretending Simpson is a horrible RB. He played more games than anyone in our best season in nearly a decade.

I think Simpson is very underrated (basically a lot of people seem to think he is worse than shit) but he is the weak link in our first 11.

agreed, Simpson has put in a tremendous shift for the toon.

He has done a job to the best of his abilities. Unfortunately (for him), we now find ourselves in a position where his services are simply not of adequate quality anymore.

Tremedous shift or not, he is the weak link in our starting lineup and as such the first position we should improve on. Fortunately it seems like the upper echelons agree with this sentiment.

Still thankful for his contributions and wish him all the best obviously.

Who has actually said that apart from attention seekers?

If we start the season with Simpson as our primary right back it's not a huge problem. However, when you've had a more attack competent and skillful player hinted at for so long it does make it frustrating. Looking at our first 11 Simpson stands out as the most limited player so he would be an obvious choice for replacement by someone more well rounded. In particular when you consider that he's close to the end of his contract and word is that he wants a significant amount more money. His goalline clearances last season were of huge value and whenever he's on the pitch he does give his all.

the problem with driving a hard bargain in the transfer market is that sometimes we end up with nowt.

Conversly, when we don't drive a hard bargan we end up with the likes of Luque, Boumsong, Smith & Xisco. Whilst I am extremely keen to see us get new players in, I would rather we didn't than end up with players like this steeling from us for years to come and producing absolutely nothing!

I see the Chronicle are saying that Anita wants to speak to Pardew before agreeing anything to see where he sees him playing.

You would think this would happen with every deal but perhaps not?

Anyway I would think this means he does want assurances we'll play him primarily as a midfielder which I would say is the only option as bringing in a midfielder to play fullback makes no sense anyway in the long term.

Conversly, when we don't drive a hard bargan we end up with the likes of Luque, Boumsong, Smith & Xisco. Whilst I am extremely keen to see us get new players in, I would rather we didn't than end up with players like this steeling from us for years to come and producing absolutely nothing!

those were players the previous managers and scouts all wanted i think (xisco aside). i've more trust in the current scouting setup these days. i just worry ashley's policy misses a trick sometimes if we end up missing out on a player over a million euros or two. the cisse deal worked out ok in the end but we really should have got him the summer window rather than january. hopefully this deal isn't deas and we'll get him in before the window shuts, even if we do have to pay a few million more than ashley wants to. i'd rather that than stick with simpson until january before going back with the same offer.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Hi guys and gals!

Agreed.

Anita is a great footballer and would definitely add quality to our side. Proper footballing quality. The thing is, he can stay at Ajax and start most games in a CM position. The position he prefers and excels in.

He will be looking for clarification from Pardew as to how many games AP sees him playing and in what position.

Im all for us going with a narrow 4321 with Anita and Tiote either side of Cabaye. Ben Arfa in the whole behind Ba and Cisse. Get that right and that could be lethal. Only thing is that is heavily reliable on fullbacks getting up and down providing width.

If we go get a LB instead of a RB then it would work quite well imo.

Fwiw i can see Anita rejecting us on the basis we wont be playing a system that suits him more often than not.

This arguement gets pulled out of the drawer every time someone complains about pennypinching.

More to do with the scouting and less to do with the price tbh. If Cisse was 15 million, would we complain? No.

The problem with previous spending was the type of players we brought in (overpaid and not very motivated), rather than the excact fee for each of them ( although they were expensive).

From a fotballing point of view I would have no qualms giving Graham Carr a blank check. The man recognizes quality like few others.

I understand that the less we pay the sweeter it feels though, just not sure I care as much as actually getting them through the door.

Hi guys and gals!

Agreed.

Anita is a great footballer and would definitely add quality to our side. Proper footballing quality. The thing is, he can stay at Ajax and start most games in a CM position. The position he prefers and excels in.

He will be looking for clarification from Pardew as to how many games AP sees him playing and in what position.

Im all for us going with a narrow 4321 with Anita and Tiote either side of Cabaye. Ben Arfa in the whole behind Ba and Cisse. Get that right and that could be lethal. Only thing is that is heavily reliable on fullbacks getting up and down providing width.

If we go get a LB instead of a RB then it would work quite well imo.

Fwiw i can see Anita rejecting us on the basis we wont be playing a system that suits him more often than not.

Unless Pardew tells him that Tiote is on his bike. That's the only way I see any assurances that he'll play in midfield.

I think Jonas has already been told his days as a first team starter are drawing to a close hence all the pre season Pardew talk of him now being a utility man.

If Anitas as good as people say then it would make sense to have him in the 3 allowing Cabaye to play the more link up creative role where he really excels.

In a 442 I would have Marveaux over Jonas or if Ben Arfa is going to be out then stick Jonas on the right.

I think Jonas has already been told his days as a first team starter are drawing to a close hence all the pre season Pardew talk of him now being a utility man.

If Anitas as good as people say then it would make sense to have him in the 3 allowing Cabaye to play the more link up creative role where he really excels.

In a 442 I would have Marveaux over Jonas or if Ben Arfa is going to be out then stick Jonas on the right.

This.

The only thing that is making me think we may not even play a 3 in midfield is AP's comments earlier in the summer about Ba playing centrally. That system with a middle three relied on Ba playing wide left.

I'd quite like us to shift to a narrow 4312 with two balanced attacking full backs, two box to box midfielders in the 3 (Tiote and Anita) Cabaye centrally pulling the strings with Ben Arfa in the hole behind Ba (Central) and Cisse.

I wouldn't think so. He had a good season last time out - scored 3 goals picked up 3 assists and was an everpresent in the side - not a crock, and played wherever he was required (due to other injuries etc). Won 86 free-kicks for us which is nothing to scorn at and countless number of corners to add to that tally. I think Jonas offers good balance and graft to the side.

Like many on here, I haven't seen anita play but I was under the impression, from the media, that he's a holding player rather than a box to box midfielder. Similar to Tiote. Neither could be described as goal scoring midfielders. Unless Pardew has some vision that I don't believe he's capable of, then I'd be surprised if he could give Anita an assurance that he will play in midfield. Two defensive midfield players and a couple of average-at-best fullbacks won't make much of an attacking team at home. Might work away, but surely he can't assure him he'll play at the expense of Tiote at home.