Newcastle v Liverpool

Gene_Clark

Anyone see Gerard shoo Dalglish off the pitch (when Reina was sent off iirc)? Was like seeing pissed up Grandad being shooed out of the kitchen at a family do :lol:

Aye, you can lip-read him as well:

"I'll play right back. Get off the pitch"

GOLD.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did people view the formation yesterday? Cabaye seemed to play in front of Tiote and Guthrie which is more like a 4-2-3-1 then the 4-3-3 that Sky had us down as.

That sounds right to me.

It surprises me how much of his game Demba Ba seems more than willing to sacrifice to accomodate this formation. He gets a fraction of the goalscoring opportunities, for a bloke who's so good at it his head never seems to drop.

How did people view the formation yesterday? Cabaye seemed to play in front of Tiote and Guthrie which is more like a 4-2-3-1 then the 4-3-3 that Sky had us down as.

Correct, and when you have 360 degree vision at the match you could really see it many, many times when we were on the attack. We were rigid and disciplined. How people can question Pardew's tactical awareness beggars belief. We were saying yesterday, he's been good literally everywhere he's been apart from 4 shit months at West Ham, he really set the foundations at Reading for them to become a decent Premiership club in later years.

Just because there was a silver (okay, platinum) lining to Carroll move it doesn't mean that was his intention and we should be grateful to him personally for it ffs. Retarded logic.

:lol: Exactly, that article is laughable. No one held him at gunpoint and made him sign that £60-80k (can't remember which it was) a week contract, he signed it he could have just as easily stayed here.

Cabaye had a mixed game. Wonder if Rapedoo will stick or twist when everyone is fit.

if we're playing a midfield three, the strongest on current form is arguably tiote-guthrie-jonas

even perch is in the running to be a regular starter. never thought that'd be the case, particularly not at the expense of an italian international left back.

Cabaye has looked much better recently, after his form dipped following his suspension.

Guthrie has been canny, but I don't think we can build a midfield around him as he seems to be so injury prone. He's always picking up knocks and missing a game or two.

I'd probably go for Cabaye over Guthrie, simply because he is better at quick short passing, a skill which corresponds with Jonas and Tiote.

True, but the article isn't saying that. It's suggesting that because we've benefited from the Carroll sale (funds being used to buy new players which is contentious in itself) that we should be nice to him.

Which is rubbish because it's not like his motivation to sign for the dippers was an altruistic move to bolster our finances and therefore our squad. I'm not going to thank him even if we have done well out of his transfer.

I thought Cabaye was good yesterday like. Got involved in a lot of the play and made some great passes, in fact there was a stat that showed that he made more passes than any other game all season yesterday.

I'm definitely gonna have to see a lot more from Perch before I see him as a first teamer as well.

As for Pardiola, I know a few West Ham fans who all say he's the best manager they've had in donkey's years. One big 'Ammer says he had them playing the best football of his lifetime. He was obviously good at Reading and Southampton too - it's just Charlton where there's maybe a question mark

Correct, and when you have 360 degree vision at the match you could really see it many, many times when we were on the attack. We were rigid and disciplined. How people can question Pardew's tactical awareness beggars belief. We were saying yesterday, he's been good literally everywhere he's been apart from 4 shit months at West Ham, he really set the foundations at Reading for them to become a decent Premiership club in later years.

i can't believe he hasn't won everyone over now - even those norweigen knob jockeys must recognise the job he's done. look at the league position and some of the victories - beating man u, liverpool, hammering the unwashed etc.

i'll hold me hands up. i was gutted when hughton was sacked and fuming when pardew was appointed. but you have to give him massive credit for what he's done this season. defensively, we're as solid as i can remember us being. the positional awareness of players i'd previously written off has improved massively - that is down to coaching.

and you can't dispute his man management - he's handled ben arfa perfectly and has kept the team spirit going in the camp. i thought that would go after hughton was sacked and when the senior pros were flogged in the sumemr but if anything it's improved.

plus he seems to handle the media perfectly; he's got a bit of confidence - even arrogance - about him, which i like and he talks honestly and tells it how he sees it, instead of talking in cliches.

plus he's done it all on a small budget by premiership standards. manager of the year tbh

i can't believe he hasn't won everyone over now - even those norweigen knob jockeys must recognise the job he's done. look at the league position and some of the victories - beating man u, liverpool, hammering the unwashed etc.

i'll hold me hands up. i was gutted when hughton was sacked and fuming when pardew was appointed. but you have to give him massive credit for what he's done this season. defensively, we're as solid as i can remember us being. the positional awareness of players i'd previously written off has improved massively - that is down to coaching.

and you can't dispute his man management - he's handled ben arfa perfectly and has kept the team spirit going in the camp. i thought that would go after hughton was sacked and when the senior pros were flogged in the sumemr but if anything it's improved.

plus he seems to handle the media perfectly; he's got a bit of confidence - even arrogance - about him, which i like and he talks honestly and tells it how he sees it, instead of talking in cliches.

plus he's done it all on a small budget by premiership standards. manager of the year tbh

agree with every single word of that; top quality post mate

Cabaye Guthrie and Tiote the midfield three for me. Just think we are so much more versatile and creative when Guthrie starts.

With regard to Cabaye, I thought there were signs yesterday of him getting back to his early season best. This role spearheading the midfield three is where he is at his best playing strikers in along the deck and joining in attack.

Whilst a few of the passes didnt quite come off yesterday, the fact he was in a position where he could dictate those sort of moves is very encouraging.

All this as well amongst a group of players who are not used to playing with each other just yet.

I expect to see great things in the coming weeks and hopefully a humping or too.

Cabaye Guthrie and Tiote the midfield three for me. Just think we are so much more versatile and creative when Guthrie starts.

With regard to Cabaye, I thought there were signs yesterday of him getting back to his early season best. This role spearheading the midfield three is where he is at his best playing strikers in along the deck and joining in attack.

Whilst a few of the passes didnt quite come off yesterday, the fact he was in a position where he could dictate those sort of moves is very encouraging.

All this as well amongst a group of players who are not used to playing with each other just yet.

I expect to see great things in the coming weeks and hopefully a humping or too.

i'm excited about the rest of the season now too. we're pretty much nailed on to finish at least 6th. and we've got nothing to lose because no one really expects us to finish any higher. if the confidence continues to build and we go on another run, who knows how high we could finish? definitely the right time of the season to be finding form again.

I'm just not sure what Guthrie's role is a lot of the time. He has a good range of passing but can often be seen playing a dreadful ball out of play and he plays some good balls into the box but he doesn't actually do that much work defensively. Gutierrez, on the other hand, could be the perfect box to box player for me. We've seen his defensive work covering on the left and he made up a hell of a lot of ground earlier in the season with Raylor. I'm confident he could do a good job in that role in the middle. Then you obviously have Tiote the destroyer and Cabaye as the playmaker behind the front three (and ahead of Jonas and Tiote). A 4-2-1-2-1 if you like... ;)

Aye, all of that's true, I still don't like him as a bloke, but he's got character without a doubt. On paper and recent footballing history i.e last 6th or 7 years, Tottenham are a bigger club than we are. We were for years they're having their moment now, but a return to London wouldn't be unattractive for him imo, hope we can fend them off when Redwank gets the England job.