mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Thanks Gemmill. Been a mad keen toon supporter since I was little. Mum's from Consett and I even got to go to school over there for a year in 99. Went to St Bede's. Was reasonably active on the old NUFC forum back in the day. I've been lurking here for a few years now.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SouthAussieMag said:

What is sports washing anyway? I've been lurking here for years, but had to sign in to ask this.

I understand the concept, but in practice the idea just doesn't bear out. If Saudi are trying to improve their image on the world stage, buying Newcastle is not helping with that. If anything more people are talking about their human rights abuses as every time Newcastle are brought up a bunch of jealous butthurt Newcastle hating tools start banging on publicly about their transgressions bringing even more attention to the Saudis, possibly even to people that maybe were not aware. To me this doesn't seem at all like a "sportswashing" situation and more like a prestige endeavour and local rivalry with other Middle East and Gulf nations.

Every time I see sunderland fans banging on about this crap it just comes of as a huge amount of cope. Like Rayvin said in his beautiful soliloquy their entire world is crashing down and this is the only way they can cope with the increasingly large chasm between us. Over my 30 or so years of being a Newcastle fan it seems sunderland fans have been unable to present an identity of their own without it in some way being tied to hating Newcastle and its funny and tragic at the same time.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just tired of hearing the term "sportswashing". Of all the criticisms being thrown around like "oil money" and "buying the league" it seems like the most ridiculous and implausible idea.

Sportswashed 👆

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, SouthAussieMag said:

Thanks Gemmill. Been a mad keen toon supporter since I was little. Mum's from Consett and I even got to go to school over there for a year in 99. Went to St Bede's. Was reasonably active on the old NUFC forum back in the day. I've been lurking here for a few years now.

Welcome on board ya flamin' bunyip! :good:

;)

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, SouthAussieMag said:

Should know what Gloomy's like so

G'day cobber :aussie:

Edited by RobinRobin
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SouthAussieMag said:

G’day ya cunt. 

Have you ever seen a grown man naked? 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Sportswashed 👆

What do you expect from Radelaide?!?? Fucking bible belt of 'stralia, the cunts!

Welcome aboard mate, good to see SA finally sent a representative to help the guy from Hobbiton try to even up the numbers with those east coast cunts!

• Haha 4

I can tell I'm going to love it here. Monkeys fist of course I've seen a grown man naked. It's a coming of age ritual and obligation to do an outback walkabout when you turn 18. When this happens you run into a lot of naked cooked men. It's just a matter of avoiding them. Sammynb knows where it's at. South Australia is the only state not founded by convicts. We are sophisticated and nothing like the east coast riff raff. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, SouthAussieMag said:

I can tell I'm going to love it here. Monkeys fist of course I've seen a grown man naked. It's a coming of age ritual and obligation to do an outback walkabout when you turn 18. When this happens you run into a lot of naked cooked men. It's just a matter of avoiding them. Sammynb knows where it's at. South Australia is the only state not founded by convicts. We are sophisticated and nothing like the east coast riff raff. 

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SouthAussieMag said:

What is sports washing anyway? I've been lurking here for years, but had to sign in to ask this.

I understand the concept, but in practice the idea just doesn't bear out. If Saudi are trying to improve their image on the world stage, buying Newcastle is not helping with that. If anything more people are talking about their human rights abuses as every time Newcastle are brought up a bunch of jealous butthurt Newcastle hating tools start banging on publicly about their transgressions bringing even more attention to the Saudis, possibly even to people that maybe were not aware. To me this doesn't seem at all like a "sportswashing" situation and more like a prestige endeavour and local rivalry with other Middle East and Gulf nations.

Every time I see sunderland fans banging on about this crap it just comes of as a huge amount of cope. Like Rayvin said in his beautiful soliloquy their entire world is crashing down and this is the only way they can cope with the increasingly large chasm between us. Over my 30 or so years of being a Newcastle fan it seems sunderland fans have been unable to present an identity of their own without it in some way being tied to hating Newcastle and its funny and tragic at the same time.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just tired of hearing the term "sportswashing". Of all the criticisms being thrown around like "oil money" and "buying the league" it seems like the most ridiculous and implausible idea.

This is a great first post. Not a lot I can add, I fully agree. The term only entered the lexicon in 2015, and I can't remember it used until the Qatar World Cup was in the final preparation stages. 

Like the term woke, I just think it's a meaningless lazy coverall for people people who don't want Saudi investment and influence in the PL or just don't like Nufc.

But for the reasons you describe, it just doesn't make sense in this case and the motivations I think are purely to use Nufc as a status symbol and an advertising board for various other Saudi interests, both national and the general PIf portfolio. Who knows, maybe eventually we could even turn a direct profit. 

I do have some sympathy for people who oppose Saudi BTW, the ones who can articulate why it is not good for the English game in general. Fair enough, I mainly agree tbh. But what I won't countenance is people who purely use it as a weapon to attack our club and fans. Those people can get fucked. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NJS said:

Pointless second yellow for dissent for some Mackem cunt just before half time. Nice. 

Fantastic save from their keeper there, Patterson. Commentator just said he was from North Shields. Bring him home along with Chris Rigg. ;)

Sunderland fans heading for the exits. They really are the most fickle cunts. I suppose it’ll make the atmosphere marginally less poisonous 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Sunderland fans heading for the exits. They really are the most fickle cunts. I suppose it’ll make the atmosphere marginally less poisonous 

They’ll be fucked if they make the area sound the SoS a clean air zone. 

• Haha 2