Other clubs summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Is the right answer. Though given that they're on free transfers I can see Ashley's interest being piqued. However, signing players like Bosingwa who are getting on a bit and judged not good enough for a 'bigger' club is really the opposite of what we're supposed to be doing.

Just a fall back in case this Debuchy thing doesn't work out. Not the ideal signing no but he's still decent quality and at 28 has a good few years ahead of him. At a free we should have a look while otherwise I agree it wouldnt fit in with this new transfer policy we seem to have.

Similar situation going on with Corluka and Kranjcar at Spurs. Some papers saying both of them could be off for a combined 10M. Thats not a bad deal imo. But again we probably wont be interested for reasons discussed already. Thats fine if we continue to hit the mark with the lower profile European signings but it may not be a bad idea to have a look at some proven players available on the cheap at the same time.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're spot on with all of that post.

Hazard seems to believe his own hype and knows his agent knows there'll be astronomical wages/signing on bonuses to be had so the guy is touting himself like he's on a street corner.

Diving has definitely become far too prevalent in the modern game. It's a wonder the officials don't do more about it when it's clearly stated in the rulebook that simulation is a yellow card offence. I imagine there's a few refs who bottle it because of the inevitable Chelsea-style hounding of the ref that would no doubt follow immediately. That's another thing that has to be stamped out of the game. Book a player for diving, if he hounds the ref book him again for dissent.

But then you get the feeling it's too easy to blame the referees for this. The real problem is higher up - the FA and FIFA who fail to recognise these as significant problems and instead focus more on trying to make referees who miss glaringly obvious infringements look less incompetent.

I know you don't like him Brock but where did that line about hazard come from? :lol:

Aye, Im surprised a bigger club didnt go for him.

I think midfield isn't a priority for us at the moment, we'll probably try to strengthen other areas first and sign someone like this Coventry lad we're linked with to backup the midfield, unless someone leaves.

Swansea sign Sigurdsson...you would of thought we'd have ago

wouldnt be surprised if the loan deal involved a fixed fee to pay at the end for a permanent deal

Hard to say. He's definitely got serious talent and is a brilliant set piece taker, but the fact he's signed for clubs like Hoffenheim and Swansea doesn't really convince that he's particularly confident in testing himself.

As you say, maybe he prefers to be the main man rather than risk having to fill out a squad role at a better team.

Swansea though? That's ridiculous - I still think he would've been a perfect fit at Newcastle! :(

He's a player we don't particularly need so it'd be pointless spending £7m on him when we've more got more pressing needs. Raher put that sort of money towards Debuchy or whoever.

I'd imagine it was either Amalfitano on a free or the Sig for close to £7m. Obvious choice in financial terms but the Sig would've been a quality signing for any team that's looking to break into Europe like us. He's wasted at Swansea - they'll be passing it sideways into lower mid table obscurity again next season.

My problem with Hoffenheim? They're an absolute nothing of a club. The fact that the stadium isn't particularly near anything certainly doesn't do wonders for attendances and for all that money their highest position in the Bundesliga was 7th. It's as if Rotherham were bought out by a Qatari and were bankrolled into the premiership - you'd seriously question anyone who signed for them because it certainly wouldn't be for footballing reasons or career progression.

I'd imagine it was either Amalfitano on a free or the Sig for close to £7m. Obvious choice in financial terms but the Sig would've been a quality signing for any team that's looking to break into Europe like us. He's wasted at Swansea - they'll be passing it sideways into lower mid table obscurity again next season.

My problem with Hoffenheim? They're an absolute nothing of a club. The fact that the stadium isn't particularly near anything certainly doesn't do wonders for attendances and for all that money their highest position in the Bundesliga was 7th. It's as if Rotherham were bought out by a Qatari and were bankrolled into the premiership - you'd seriously question anyone who signed for them because it certainly wouldn't be for footballing reasons or career progression.

I had never realised that about Hoffenheim. According to Wiki they were in the 6th tier in 1996 and that was the highest level they had played at until then. I always assumed they had been a second or third tier club who were bought.

How big of a Reading fan are you? There's just so much bitterness in that post.

How big of a Reading fan are you? There's just so much bitterness in that post.

What's bitter about saying he's made a mistake signing for Swansea? Reading are my local club and I've been a season ticket holder since they were still in the old Division 2.

When Hoffenheim signed Sigurdsson it was very questionable - they offered Reading the most money and so they got him, but given the performances he was putting in it was a ridiculous decision to actually sign for them; he could've made the jump to the premiership then and there. Easily the best player I've seen in a Reading shirt in terms of natural ability. He was wasted at Reading and was right to leave, but it was hardly to a bigger club seeing as Reading had spent 2 seasons in the premiership before Hoffenheim had played in the German top tier.

I would've voiced the same criticism if the Sig had gone back to Reading btw - it would have been another step sideways in his career. Obviously Rodgers leaving immediately after he's signed has put him in an interesting position given Rodgers is all I can see majorly influencing his decision to go there.

I've seen the guy play regularly and he looked like an excellent prospect. He joined Swansea and effectively carried the team to it's 11th placed finish. There would have been plenty of clubs looking at him had he not signed for Swansea but for the second time in his career he's moved to a nothing club.

The only bitterness i'd say i'm feeling is that I genuinely wanted NUFC to sign him as he would've been a brilliant addition so am disappointed. Brilliant coup for Swansea but he'll be gone next summer for £10m + (I'd imagine to Liverpool if Rodgers lasts).

32 million for hazard and now 38 million agreed with Porto for hulk.

Chelsea are going to be good again next season.

What's bitter about saying he's made a mistake signing for Swansea? Reading are my local club and I've been a season ticket holder since they were still in the old Division 2.

When Hoffenheim signed Sigurdsson it was very questionable - they offered Reading the most money and so they got him, but given the performances he was putting in it was a ridiculous decision to actually sign for them; he could've made the jump to the premiership then and there. Easily the best player I've seen in a Reading shirt in terms of natural ability. He was wasted at Reading and was right to leave, but it was hardly to a bigger club seeing as Reading had spent 2 seasons in the premiership before Hoffenheim had played in the German top tier.

I would've voiced the same criticism if the Sig had gone back to Reading btw - it would have been another step sideways in his career. Obviously Rodgers leaving immediately after he's signed has put him in an interesting position given Rodgers is all I can see majorly influencing his decision to go there.

I've seen the guy play regularly and he looked like an excellent prospect. He joined Swansea and effectively carried the team to it's 11th placed finish. There would have been plenty of clubs looking at him had he not signed for Swansea but for the second time in his career he's moved to a nothing club.

The only bitterness i'd say i'm feeling is that I genuinely wanted NUFC to sign him as he would've been a brilliant addition so am disappointed. Brilliant coup for Swansea but he'll be gone next summer for £10m + (I'd imagine to Liverpool if Rodgers lasts).

He hasn't actually signed yet has he?

32 million for hazard and now 38 million agreed with Porto for hulk.

Chelsea are going to be good again next season.

I'm hearing rumblings that Kaka is signing for Arsenal