England

LeazesMag

If by some miracle England find themselves in the last 8 come the end of June, do I take it those not bothered or preferring France to do well will be consistant in their attitiude to how England fair overall? :P

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like England to go all the way and every English international to come back fucked for the start of the new season.

I'd like France and Holland to bomb out in the group stages, preferably with our boys only coming off the bench sporadically to score last minute consolation goals of incredible quality.

This old gadgee has only one passion in life anymore and that is football.

Newcastle United is my No.1 passion, and England is No.2 and I have no real interest in any other team but I will watch other teams because I love football..

I am proud to be a Geordie, Howay Newcassel. I am proud to be English C'mon England.

Those not arsed about England have the attitude akin to those who lost us the Empire.

To quote an American of long ago; "My country, right or wrong"

I admire your patriotism but as another emigre Englishman, I couldn't give a toss. It's nothing to do with England as such - the more you live abroad, the more rose tinted your specs become - it's more to do with the arse wipes who play for the team and the never ending cycle of delusional press hype followed by gross ineptitude and disappointment. It's how I felt since 1998 or thereabouts so it's nothing new.

I admire your patriotism but as another emigre Englishman, I couldn't give a toss. It's nothing to do with England as such - the more you live abroad, the more rose tinted your specs become - it's more to do with the arse wipes who play for the team and the never ending cycle of delusional press hype followed by gross ineptitude and disappointment. It's how I felt since 1998 or thereabouts so it's nothing new.

couldn't agree more.

absolutely agree.

You should read this book Stevie [as should others]. 046086-FC222.jpg

which explains all about the odds, chances, historical patterns, impact of population, economies, traditions, attitudes and expectations of supporters, methods to gain success, relevance of transfer fees and wages to football clubs, in every shape or form you could care to think of as regards football clubs. It explains and demonstrates how football is different to any other business using facts, figures, statistics, patterns and history, all in the long term view and projection rather than the short term.

Heavy going in places, pick it up when you are in the mood. But it is one of those books that you can read for a while, leave it and pick up again after a few weeks because every chapter and sub-chapter is a factual and demonstrative example of the point it makes in its own right.

This book is not for babies, or those inclined to have reactionary, short term or emotionally based judgements, it is only for people who want to educate themselves about football.

I've read this and I'd definitely back up the recommendation, really interesting book.

I can't believe there is talk Terry wont make the team....Ridiculous IMO. Ferdinand can not play tournament football and is not the player he was. Surely must be Terry!

Would rather have Rio tbh.

Seriously!??? Why?? Fergie has come out and said in the last couple days that he can't play tournament football. For me regardless on what people think of him on a personal level Terry is the best defender we have..he will also grab you a goal now and again. Fair enough you think Rio but why?

I'd hate to think Terry is the best defender we have!

If both are fit then our best CB pairing is probably Cahill and Jones. That's the pair I'd go with anyway.

Terry is well past it and would have a torrid time at tournament football. Rio has always been better by far, even now that he's doddery and injury prone.

I'd hate to think Terry is the best defender we have!

If both are fit then our best CB pairing is probably Cahill and Jones. That's the pair I'd go with anyway.

Terry is well past it and would have a torrid time at tournament football. Rio has always been better by far, even now that he's doddery and injury prone.

That's fair enough and your opinion but for me it's Cahill and Terry all day long. Wouldn't mind seeing Jones at RB.

Cole/Baines Cahill Jones Richards/Walker

Full backs are tricky - Baines would offer something different but Cole would still comfortably be one of the best LBs in the tournament.

Richards for me would get the nod over Walker just because he's an absolute tank and great at going forward against the more technical teams who would leave space for him to bomb into.

Be interesting to see if Woy weally does dwop Tewwy though.

We can either take the alleged racist or the bloke he abuseds brother

People really reckon terry should go? What kind of message is that? I'm with Brock neither would be starters on this season, taking terry would be a terrible decision

A message that you are innocent until proved guilty? Rio kicked off when he received the same treatment over the drug test he 'forgot' to take. England's newest coach tried to stir up a mutiny as well :lol:

We can either take the alleged racist or the bloke he abuseds brother

People really reckon terry should go? What kind of message is that? I'm with Brock neither would be starters on this season, taking terry would be a terrible decision

Nothing to do with whether he's a racist scumbag or not (he definitely is, by the way) Terry isn't good enough. HE's slow, prone to rash tackles which he used to be able to atone for, now he can't. Rio reads the game better and while not pacy, wouldn't be as likely to leave a leg out.

Fwiw I wouldn't take either. England are not going to win this tournament so why bother taking players who will show England nothing about future tournaments. Jones and Smalling and Walker and Richards and Baines and A.Cole. The latter simply because he's still comfortably the best English left back and one of the few players that wouldn't bring stifled laughter from the opposition.

Maybe he's said he won't play alongside Terry. I'm just making shit up here mind.

You'll soon be stating that he's innocent til proven guilty, then state it's nothing to do with racism, but that Terry called Richards a prick or something.

Then you'll buy a home-brew kit that you'll never use.

Then a telescope for no good reason

;)

Costs nowt to be an armchair nationalist and I don't think that people's disaffection with the national side is because of a distaste for the types of characters we have playing for us. I'm not doubting the disaffection, just the reasons for changing attitudes.

"started under Sven" - very interesting.

I'd love to think that Terry has gone the journey too and that Hodgson just didn't ring him. As much as I'd like to see a clear out of the bold guard, I think Rio can feel a bit aggrieved by this, particularly given the circumstances.

The old "sources close to the player" are saying that Rio reckons he was left out the squad for non-football reasons.

Read elsewhere that Terry dispatched Ashley Cole to talk to other England squad members to find out if they had a problem with him. And the answer that came back was yes, they do.

Gonna be a weird one. Press conference this afternoon should be interesting. That apartheid question might come up again at this rate