England

LeazesMag

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But do England have mostly average players? They could field a team entirely of Man U, Man City and Chelsea first teamers so as far as I can see you have the quality on paper but for whatever reason nobody seems capable of getting them to play as a team.

Apart from 2 tournaments, sorry 3, England have been semi-permanent quarter finalists. That is about our standing tbh, somewhere between about 6th and 10th in the World.

We have a couple of top players, but that is all. Overall, I would say he may mould them into a team with discipline etc and hard to score against and beat. That is what he seems he is good at doing. Having said that, that is all Greece were and they won the thing.

Pleased Woy goy the job , primarily because it was a royal " fuck you" to 'Arry.

I'd agree with those who say he's one of the better appointments of recent times.

I'll be watching , but not arsed in the least if we go out. ( Unless we get to the final of course, when I will be John Bull personified- remember Greece in 2004!!)

You know what fucks me off about England? Shit like This from the media

What combination Hodgson chooses in midfield will be intriguing, but it is fairly safe to say that as far as central positions go, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker and Gareth Barry will all make the trip to Poland and Ukraine.

None of them would be my first picks for a central midfield birth in these championships. Gerrard and Lampard have had decidedly average seasons and are at the end of their international careers and should be put out to pasture, not put ahead of others. Barry is made to look decent by virtue of playing behind one of the best attacks, alongside the best midfield, in front of the best centre half and (arguably) the best 'keeper in the league. Parker is rancid as well.

This tournament should be used, by Hodgson, as the foundation of a new England. Give young players a chance alongside the few genuinely top class players in the positions. Hart, Rooney, A.Cole. That's your bedrock, those are your experienced (or in Hart's case talented old head on young shoulders) spine. In addition to those, I'd take Cleverley, Wilshere, Rodwell, I'd take Walker, Jones, and Smalling, Wellbeck, Sturridge and Carroll. I'd probably take Milner because of his versatility as well, to be honest.

I'd also take Scholes.

This need to play egos, to play names, infuriates me.

I'm looking forward to the tournament itself but not necessarily England. Will 'support' them but wont be upset if we go out in the group stages.

EDIT: Wilshere is injured.

Edited by Besty

I think Cleverly and Rodwell are both injured too. Agree with the principle though, shame that those 3 are out really.

I think Lampard can still be useful, he was effective against Barca in the semis. Worrying that for a tournament which everyone agrees should be developmental I can't think of a decent young alternative after those 3 to take though.

I know they're inconsistent but I really think England need to make use of their pacy players like Walcott and Young and at least one fast full back like Walker or Richards. The last world cup performance was like watching 11 aged snails at times.

I like international football, there's something invigourating about seeing players competing for national pride (I'm not so naive to think that's all they're competing for, but still) and at least we're spared the sort of debates that we've been having about City buying the title.

And I like England and I want them to win. Even if the current lot are crap wankers and the media are morons. Although its very difficult to see past that a lot of the time. I've posted before that although i wanted them to progress two years ago, there was almost something satisfying about seeing the overhyped cretins get a twatting off Germany. But deep down, I'm still an England fan and I want them to win.

I still want England to win, but gone are the days where I would be passionately involved. The Germany game in 2010 was the finish for me. That said I'd go away to another tournament and watch them again if it coincided with a decent place for a holiday. I think the Sven era they gradually turned in to spoilt twats the players and they've got even worse since.

The fact is England don't have a system of play to win a major tournament, nor the personnel. Since 1990 many countries who may have not had as good quality players as we have, have won tournaments, Denmark, Greece and Italy (worst world champions in history) spring to mind, but they all disciplined players and a system that worked for them. We've never really had one. We had a good system against the dutch at Euro 96, but a lot of the time it's a rigid 4 4 2 pish that rarely works for us. The Woy appointment will change nothing, he probably masturbates while thinking of blackboards with 442 systems on. Even at Inter that's how he played. So we've got nee chance, we're wank, and it's a waste of time. The future is nee brighter, even if we had one player who was 18 or 19 who's like David Silva or even wor Benny, but we haven't. "Jack Wilshere" do me a favour. The fact is all this England perenial underachievers pish is bollocks too, we'll continue to be ranked 5th-8th best in the world, because that's our level, based in our tactical ineptitude and our population. For every 10 English people there are 17 krauts. For every 10 English people there are 39 Braziliians. It's not all population far from it, Spain's pop. is slightly smaller, but it's not as insignificant as people make out.

Just to watch Cabaye and Ben Arfa!

I'm sure though that the press will whip us all in to a frenzy and any excuse to go to the pub I say.

I'll enjoy watching them too, and it's great to just kick back with a beer and enjoy a game of football between two teams with the best their country has to offer.

I think I'll always be bothered about England in an international tournament but I don't feel at all downhearted seeing them fail miserably anymore as the current crop of players haven't given a shit for 10 years or so now.

You know what fucks me off about England? Shit like This from the media

None of them would be my first picks for a central midfield birth in these championships. Gerrard and Lampard have had decidedly average seasons and are at the end of their international careers and should be put out to pasture, not put ahead of others. Barry is made to look decent by virtue of playing behind one of the best attacks, alongside the best midfield, in front of the best centre half and (arguably) the best 'keeper in the league. Parker is rancid as well.

This tournament should be used, by Hodgson, as the foundation of a new England. Give young players a chance alongside the few genuinely top class players in the positions. Hart, Rooney, A.Cole. That's your bedrock, those are your experienced (or in Hart's case talented old head on young shoulders) spine. In addition to those, I'd take Cleverley, Wilshere, Rodwell, I'd take Walker, Jones, and Smalling, Wellbeck, Sturridge and Carroll. I'd probably take Milner because of his versatility as well, to be honest.

I'd also take Scholes.

This need to play egos, to play names, infuriates me.

they always say "give youth a chance". They say it about every generation. Nothing changes, they are never good enough on the international stage when they play there, they are always over-rated and/or bogged down by expectancy etc and other things.

I don't think the current crop are as good as Beckham/Shearer/Scholes and they did nothing other than get knocked out at the quarter finals again, without even having a go at Brazil. I think this team under Sven was in fact the best of the last 15 years or so tbh, and they weren't good enough although Sven's negative approach in that game was a factor.

In fact, English football has other problems related to the "failure" of the international team that haven't gone away and aren't going to go away.

Anyway, I don't have time for England like I had in the past. Not all of them, but too many of them now are full of their own self importance, thinking they can get away with anything because they are footballers etc.

they always say "give youth a chance". They say it about every generation. Nothing changes, they are never good enough on the international stage when they play there, they are always over-rated and/or bogged down by expectancy etc and other things.

I don't think the current crop are as good as Beckham/Shearer/Scholes and they did nothing other than get knocked out at the quarter finals again, without even having a go at Brazil. I think this team under Sven was in fact the best of the last 15 years or so tbh, and they weren't good enough although Sven's negative approach in that game was a factor.

In fact, English football has other problems related to the "failure" of the international team that haven't gone away and aren't going to go away.

Anyway, I don't have time for England like I had in the past. Not all of them, but too many of them now are full of their own self importance, thinking they can get away with anything because they are footballers etc.

I don't disagree, but I'm not saying give "Youth" a chance, I'm saying stop giving that crop of players a chance and, instead give these players, who happen to be young, their chance.

the Gerrard, Lampard set aren't anywhere near good enough to win, so why bother with them?

The last time I cared about England was when Carroll played for them and I cant even remember the time before that. The only way I'll be bothered about them this tournament is if he goes with the players who deserve to be there on form or who could be built towards a future generation, and possibly if Mike Williamsons involved like we all know he should be.

Tbh I think I'll be supporting France more than I will England when they play each other.

This old gadgee has only one passion in life anymore and that is football.

Newcastle United is my No.1 passion, and England is No.2 and I have no real interest in any other team but I will watch other teams because I love football..

I am proud to be a Geordie, Howay Newcassel. I am proud to be English C'mon England.

Those not arsed about England have the attitude akin to those who lost us the Empire.

To quote an American of long ago; "My country, right or wrong"

Dreadful article on F365, that says it all really. Apparently Carroll is now England's saviour after a couple of good games, and he'll "save us" from having to play better/more in-form/less established strikers (Crouch, Holt, Welbeck etc) who dare to play for less glamourous clubs (Man Utd aside).

http://www.football3...-From-Crouch...

Carroll Should Save Us From Crouch...

Six weeks ago we were despairing at the realisation that Peter Crouch is England's best strike option in the absence of Wayne Rooney. Now Andy Carroll has stepped up...

I expect better from that site tbh.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

I still want England to win, but gone are the days where I would be passionately involved. The Germany game in 2010 was the finish for me. That said I'd go away to another tournament and watch them again if it coincided with a decent place for a holiday. I think the Sven era they gradually turned in to spoilt twats the players and they've got even worse since.

The fact is England don't have a system of play to win a major tournament, nor the personnel. Since 1990 many countries who may have not had as good quality players as we have, have won tournaments, Denmark, Greece and Italy (worst world champions in history) spring to mind, but they all disciplined players and a system that worked for them. We've never really had one. We had a good system against the dutch at Euro 96, but a lot of the time it's a rigid 4 4 2 pish that rarely works for us. The Woy appointment will change nothing, he probably masturbates while thinking of blackboards with 442 systems on. Even at Inter that's how he played. So we've got nee chance, we're wank, and it's a waste of time. The future is nee brighter, even if we had one player who was 18 or 19 who's like David Silva or even wor Benny, but we haven't. "Jack Wilshere" do me a favour. The fact is all this England perenial underachievers pish is bollocks too, we'll continue to be ranked 5th-8th best in the world, because that's our level, based in our tactical ineptitude and our population. For every 10 English people there are 17 krauts. For every 10 English people there are 39 Braziliians. It's not all population far from it, Spain's pop. is slightly smaller, but it's not as insignificant as people make out.

absolutely agree.

You should read this book Stevie [as should others]. 046086-FC222.jpg

which explains all about the odds, chances, historical patterns, impact of population, economies, traditions, attitudes and expectations of supporters, methods to gain success, relevance of transfer fees and wages to football clubs, in every shape or form you could care to think of as regards football clubs. It explains and demonstrates how football is different to any other business using facts, figures, statistics, patterns and history, all in the long term view and projection rather than the short term.

Heavy going in places, pick it up when you are in the mood. But it is one of those books that you can read for a while, leave it and pick up again after a few weeks because every chapter and sub-chapter is a factual and demonstrative example of the point it makes in its own right.

This book is not for babies, or those inclined to have reactionary, short term or emotionally based judgements, it is only for people who want to educate themselves about football.

Edited by LeazesMag

I can't fucking wait. People supporting France instead of England? Fuck off. :lol: My great-grandads French and I wouldn't dream of supporting them.

I agree with that too. The day I support France before England is the day I give up.

absolutely agree.

You should read this book Stevie [as should others]. 046086-FC222.jpg

which explains all about the odds, chances, historical patterns, impact of population, economies, traditions, attitudes and expectations of supporters, methods to gain success, relevance of transfer fees and wages to football clubs, in every shape or form you could care to think of as regards football clubs. It explains and demonstrates how football is different to any other business using facts, figures, statistics, patterns and history, all in the long term view and projection rather than the short term.

Heavy going in places, pick it up when you are in the mood. But it is one of those books that you can read for a while, leave it and pick up again after a few weeks because every chapter and sub-chapter is a factual and demonstrative example of the point it makes in its own right.

This book is not for babies, or those inclined to have reactionary, short term or emotionally based judgements, it is only for people who want to educate themselves about football.

I've got that on audiobook, looking forward to getting stuck into it on holiday later this month. :good:

As I said mate, it can be heavy going, but you can read it for a while, read something else then go back to it. It is unique in its own way.

Its a book that HF, Parky, Chez, Stevie would like going by how they come across on here, and JawD [the first names that popped into my head].

Edited by LeazesMag