Your First Olympic Memory.

Monkeys Fist

What's your earliest memory of the Olympics?

Mine's a clear memory of Mark Spitz winning Gold in the Butterfly at the Munich '72 Games. What surprises me is that I could've only just turned 3yrs old at the time. I remember being fascinated he wore a cap, and had never seen anyone swim like that ( the butterfly I mean).

After that my next clear memory is Franz Klammer winning at Innsbruck in the 76 Winter Games.

( I always prefer the Winter Games tbh).

What's your earliest memory of the Olympics?

Mine's a clear memory of Mark Spitz winning Gold in the Butterfly at the Munich '72 Games. What surprises me is that I could've only just turned 3yrs old at the time. I remember being fascinated he wore a cap, and had never seen anyone swim like that ( the butterfly I mean).

After that my next clear memory is Franz Klammer winning at Innsbruck in the 76 Winter Games.

( I always prefer the Winter Games tbh).

Same for me followed by all the local kids walking along moving their arms in a swimming motion and spitting. :lol:

I'd like to say I remember things from 1984 but I imagine it's false memories of stuff I've seen on the telly in the years since then. So I guess that makes it Seoul 1988. Ben Johnson, FloJo, Greg Louganis, Anthony Nesty (for some reason - I was an odd child), Britain winning the hockey, Daley missing out, the doves getting toasted at the opening ceremony...

Alan Wells and Ovett/Coe, which was 1980 in Moscow. Fuck knows how Fist remembers Mark Spitz :lol:

I think we pretended to be Robin Cousins and John Curry when the playground was icy, think they both won gold for figure skating before 1980 so that would be the earliest for me.

Alan Wells and Ovett/Coe, which was 1980 in Moscow. Fuck knows how Fist remembers Mark Spitz :lol:

I think we pretended to be Robin Cousins and John Curry when the playground was icy, think they both won gold for figure skating before 1980 so that would be the earliest for me.

John Curry was 1976.

I was shocked when I realised when Spitz was, remember it clearly though,

John Curry was 1976.

I was shocked when I realised when Spitz was, remember it clearly though,

I remember John Curry, and I remember Southmpton winning the cup very clearly that year, but cant remember anything about Montreal at all. Got this from wiki about it though:

I remember flying over Barcelona aged 8 (I think) and being told that the Olympics happened there. Don't remember seeing any actual sporting action until 1996 - Michael Johnson waddling to glory cleaning up. Also remember trying (and failing) to stay up to watch the football - was on about 2am or something.

Mine was seeing the Hockey team unexpectedly winning gold in Seoul 1988, beating the krauts 3-1 in the final having been trounced by them in the groups. The name Sean Kirly sticks in my mind.

1984 LA games. seb coe in the 1500m, steve ovett in the 800m. daley thompson winning the decathlon.

carl lewis winning everything else

1984 for me to - I can remember it vividly. My mam used to let me stay up late to watch the athletics and I've loved the Olympics ever since.

Not really an Olympic memory, but we were in Florida for the 84 games and I remember my mam constantly whining about how shit the American coverage was - if a yank won a race, forget about who got silver and bronze cos all they were talking about was the yank.

My first real summer of sport like that was 86 - the Commonwealth games followed by the European Athletics Championships. It was class. First Olympics that I have any real memory of is 88. Was just having a look at the medals table for the European Athletics championships and the names like Heike Drechsler, Silke Gladisch etc. Happy days!

I think GBR winning the hockey was my first summer Olympics, but I seem to remember seeing a winter Olympics around that time, Calgary? Was that 88 or 92? The things I remember from that were Eddie the Eagle, the shittest ski jumper in history, I think some of the Swiss and Krauts were doing like 150m, Eddie the Eagle would do 50m, in fact I can categorically say Paul Wyn could've went further. Also I remember a kraut figure skater called "Katarina Witt", I always remember her having ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE TITS, but when you google her now, they're quite disappointing.

This for me. Think the Americans boycotted the games. Also, for Stevie, I had a massive crush on Katrina Witt as a student at Uni. Definitely still would.

Christie winning Barcelona '92. Although my favourite one has to be staying up with my granda during Atlanta '96 to watch Johnson break the 200m world record.

I can vaguely recall Ovett/Coe and later Cram. Fatima Whitbread is imbedded in my childhood memories scarily and I remember Daily Thompson more so as after his success there followed some of the best Spectrum games I had :lol:

Coe and Ovett

I do remember Robin Cousins describing Joanne Conways performance as "Gutless" must have been 1992 (not even sure it was the Olympics)