I reckon Tiote's another player that's been Pardewed, he's not played consistently well for some time and in my opinion hasn't been the same aggressive player we bought for a while. While I wouldn't go out of my way to sell him, I'd agree that anything £10m+ would be a good price for him.

I reckon Tiote's another player that's been Pardewed, he's not played consistently well for some time and in my opinion hasn't been the same aggressive player we bought for a while. While I wouldn't go out of my way to sell him, I'd agree that anything £10m+ would be a good price for him.

Pardew'd: Sapping all the creativity and attacking flair out of a player and reducing them to a defensive hard grafter and simple passer.

Oh, exactly what we expect from Tiote's position then? Ok.

The only times we've competed properly with good teams over the last 3 years, Tiote has been central to it - I can't believe people think it's okay to lose quality and settle for second best (at best).

This especially applies as we look to have increased the quality options for him to pass to in Cabella and De Jong.

The only times we've competed properly with good teams over the last 3 years, Tiote has been central to it - I can't believe people think it's okay to lose quality and settle for second best (at best).

This especially applies as we look to have increased the quality options for him to pass to in Cabella and De Jong.

I think you make a good point there in that he's often at his best against the top sides but, more crucially, when he has creative options in front of him / alongside him. He's hasn't got the ability to make penetrative passes but, when there's no one else able/willing to do it, he often stands up and at least tries to do so. Making himself look shit by at least being willing to take on that responsibility. His staying is purely dependent on whether or not someone is willing to pay about £10m though.

His staying is purely dependent on whether or not someone is willing to pay about £10m though.

Shrugging our shoulders through gritted teeth at Ashley's financial cuntishness shouldn't mean we underestimate a player's quality imo.

Shrugging our shoulders through gritted teeth at Ashley's financial cuntishness shouldn't mean we underestimate a player's quality imo.

I quite agree.

I think you make a good point there in that he's often at his best against the top sides but, more crucially, when he has creative options in front of him / alongside him. He's hasn't got the ability to make penetrative passes but, when there's no one else able/willing to do it, he often stands up and at least tries to do so. Making himself look shit by at least being willing to take on that responsibility. His staying is purely dependent on whether or not someone is willing to pay about £10m though.

I'm surprised at how little so many people seem to rate Tiote. The only bad season he's had out of the four he's been here was when he tried to step up for Cabaye being injured/gash in the European season. As Alex says, he doesn't have it in him to play penetrative passes but he shows leadership in trying to take on the responsibility even when it's to the detriment of his own game.

Personally I think he would be a big loss to us. I remember how long we were waiting for a decent defensive midfielder to be brought in (basically ever since Batty left) and how often the lack of one was considered to be the cause for us not being able compete with top teams. There's aspects of his job that Anita and Colback can do but particularly in away games I think he's essential.

Tiote would be a huge loss if he goes. Yesterday against Villa would have been a win with Tiote in on most days. Having him in the side means we can attack with one extra midfielder or push our fullbacks further on (not Dummett). Or we could drop Sissoko into the centre midfield along side Tiote and play one holding mid. Then Willo and Dummett can pass to someone instead of the mindless hoofball brief that they and employ. Tiote is like an extra half a body in the engine room and we see what we're missing everytime he doesn't play.

Why do people assume that if we sell a 'quality' player like Tiote then who ever we sign to take his place would be 'second best'.

Because more often than not, that's the case?

What has the price of a centre forward got to do with the price of a defender.

Fees being paid highlight clubs disposable income. TV money etc....

...and if Shane long can go for 12m

Forwards are always the most expensive, defenders the least. Would Real Madrid, Barca, Man. City pay £60 million+ for a defender? You can only compare transfer fees for similar positions.

If an apple costs 2 oranges, and 2 apples cost 4 oranges, how much do 3 apples cost?

Clearly a terrible analogy, oranges are obviously better.

Forwards are always the most expensive, defenders the least. Would Real Madrid, Barca, Man. City pay £60 million+ for a defender? You can only compare transfer fees for similar positions.

Tiote plays in midfield and the British transfer record is 50m.

But don't let that get in the way of a pointless debate. ;)

Fees being paid highlight clubs disposable income. TV money etc....

...and if Shane long can go for 12m

It probably doesn't need to be pointed out to anyone else but what Southampton were willing to pay for Shane Long doesn't have that much of an influence on what other clubs are willing to pay for other players.

It probably doesn't need to be pointed out to anyone else but what Southampton were willing to pay for Shane Long doesn't have that much of an influence on what other clubs are willing to pay for other players.

Ffs. The point stands. Clubs have more disposal income - largely because of the increase TV money.

Fulham paid 12m that leeds fella.

Hull are looking at 12m for that Blackburn guy.

Borini, yes "Fabio Borini" is on Sunderland radar for 14m.

Liverpool and llanana... the list goes on.

Sure one club purchase means nowt. But it's not one club. They're all wasting money.

The rumour mill has Wellbeck for 20m and Di Maria for 80m euros.

Clubs have money to waste. So to suggest we take 8m is mental.

Again, what you think Tiote is worth isn't going to influence what Ashley would take for him. Ticks all the boxes in terms of being 'the right time to sell' if someone comes in with a bid near £10m (that's from Ashley's point of view - something else only you probably need explaining).

Edit: I'll put it another way, who the fuck's going to pay much more than £10m for him? No one. That's the bottom line. If Ashley decides he's too important to the club (aye, rightio) or Pardew convinces him of that (even less likely) then that's the only thing that'll stand in the way of his going if an offer comes in in the bracket I've mentioned (if the personal terms are suitable). Players like Tiote just aren't going to command that large a fee though. He's not creative, he won't get you goals or assists and he's liable to get a canny few suspensions. Factor in his age and the fact he isn't good enough / imposing enough a player to interest the top sides. For a variety of reasons all the other players you've mentioned are more valuable, either because the clubs involved in the transfers are desperate for a goalscorer or because they're CL clubs / chasing trophies. He's just not in the bracket. That ship sailed about a month or two into the season after the one we finished 5th.

Edited by Alex