Again, what you think Tiote is worth isn't going to influence what Ashley would take for him. Ticks all the boxes in terms of being 'the right time to sell' if someone comes in with a bid near £10m (that's from Ashley's point of view - something else only you probably need explaining).

Edit: I'll put it another way, who the fuck's going to pay much more than £10m for him? No one. That's the bottom line. If Ashley decides he's too important to the club (aye, rightio) or Pardew convinces him of that (even less likely) then that's the only thing that'll stand in the way of his going if an offer comes in in the bracket I've mentioned (if the personal terms are suitable). Players like Tiote just aren't going to command that large a fee though. He's not creative, he won't get you goals or assists and he's liable to get a canny few suspensions. Factor in his age and the fact he isn't good enough / imposing enough a player to interest the top sides. For a variety of reasons all the other players you've mentioned are more valuable, either because the clubs involved in the transfers are desperate for a goalscorer or because they're CL clubs / chasing trophies. He's just not in the bracket. That ship sailed about a month or two into the season after the one we finished 5th.

If we are being pedantic, is Shane Long classed as a goal scorer?

Games Goals

21 2

29 3

32 8

34 8

15 3

15 4

2 0 (missed a sitter in both games)

Maybe I could have picked a better player in my off-the-cuff remark. How about;

Tiote is one of the better players in a mid table team. Leroy Fer was one of the better players in a relegated team. The latter went to QPR for 8m. SO people suggesting we take 8m are selling him on the cheap.

Tiote will never win you a game. Long, Fer or whomever will.

:doh:

Not really worth a response. Might as well play 11 strikers. Just scroll up and read Long's Premier League stats.

If we are being pedantic, is Shane Long classed as a goal scorer?

Games Goals

21 2

29 3

32 8

34 8

15 3

15 4

2 0 (missed a sitter in both games)

Maybe I could have picked a better player in my off-the-cuff remark. How about;

Tiote is one of the better players in a mid table team. Leroy Fer was one of the better players in a relegated team. The latter went to QPR for 8m. SO people suggesting we take 8m are selling him on the cheap.

Leroy Fer, a Dutch international midfielder, who is four years younger, has an aye for goal and was wanted by a side with plenty money. Not a great example to try and make your point, Phyllis.

God knows why I said 8m cause we'll never get that anyway. :lol: He has mental frailties is inconsistent and reckless at times. Tends to play well in big games mind. Average passer but high fear factor for opp players who want to preserve their legs.

Bu7KJNyCYAEz7BO.jpg

Leagues top passers for 13/14

He's as good as anyone we can hope for afaic.

Up there with the best in terms of passing. He'll always make himself available and more often than not won't lose it, even if he receives it under pressure. He'll not drive forwards with it as well as other top class holding midfielders are able to, but then he's much better at breaking up opposition play than some of those more cultured players.

He gets stick from our fans for mistakesbut so much of what we do involves him that he is bound to make more mistakes than others. Our problem is too many players that hide, afraid to make those mistakes, rather than the likes of Tiote who will brush it off and come back for more.

He's as good as anyone we can hope for afaic.

Up there with the best in terms of passing. He'll always make himself available and more often than not won't lose it, even if he receives it under pressure. He'll not drive forwards with it as well as other top class holding midfielders are able to, but then he's much better than a lot of them at breaking up opposition play than some of those more cultured players.

He gets stick from our fans for mistakesbut so much of what we do involves him that he is bound to make more mistakes than others. Our problem is too many players that hide, afraid to make those mistakes, rather than the likes of Tiote who will brush it off and come back for more.

Fully agree, the times he has really looked poor is when he has tried to take too much on (normally when Cabaye was injured), most of the time he keeps it simple and just moves the ball onto someone else after breaking up play. He does make mistakes but I think he gets dealt a bad hand many times with other players failing to cover or make themselves open, like you say Tiote always shows for it even when he is having a bad game.

We're a far far weaker team defensively without him, he'd be a tough one to replace for us and I'd really fear that they'd just put Anita in there.

I think the point about him making mistakes and brushing it off compared to others being afraid of making mistakes is a good one. Too many of our players wont take chances and that's why we get too few players into the box and aren't really looking like scoring much. They need to be braver.

Leroy Fer, a Dutch international midfielder, who is four years younger, has an aye for goal and was wanted by a side with plenty money. Not a great example to try and make your point, Phyllis.

Let's face it, you'd still moan if his twin was the example. Different hair cut etc...

Let's face it, you'd still moan if his twin was the example. Different hair cut etc...

You miss the point. I wasn't simply highlighting the differences between the players to show why it wasn't a very good example to make your point. I was listing the player's attributes and circumstances to show why he's arguably worth at least as much money in terms of what a prospective club might pay (in response to your rather simplistic argument that a good player at mid-table club is worth more than good player at club that's just been relegated).

I think the point about him making mistakes and brushing it off compared to others being afraid of making mistakes is a good one. Too many of our players wont take chances and that's why we get too few players into the box and aren't really looking like scoring much. They need to be braver.

I agree100% but bravery in this context might also mean ignoring our defensive minded manager

• 5 weeks later...

Can't understand why any bloke would want more than one bird (well unless you can get them into bed at the same time). One is hard enough work to begin with.

They are a lot easier if you are a multi millionaire with a trouser snake like a rounders bat.