Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

Well said. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's a sad state of affairs to see so many views on this subject (not just on here) that boil to I'm alright and everybody else can fuck off.

Two wongs surely?

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's one for the moral compass, lets hope it goes badly for Wonga, they see no noticeable increase in business segments where they expected to and in 3 years they fuck off. In the mean time, the people they were exploiting anyway have had their resources diverted to our club for a period of time. Whilst the happiness derived from the success a football club might gain is no recompense for the inequities of society, the diversion of such relatively small terms would never solve society's ills anyway. In the best case, it doesnt work out and the money made from the country's poor is at least in part diverted back into something the people of the region can appreciate. Of course on the other hand, if they do stick around it means we are helping exploit the poor.

Every time Patrick Collins opens his mouth about NUFC I want top put my fist in it...theres some in the media that aren't keen on us, but this bell end actively despises us...

I fail to see his point really, lets not have a go at Ashley about it or Llambias, i.e. the people who are 100% responsible for this wicked sponsorship, (from our end), lets have a go at the manager who even Collins must know, is beholden to the owners, for being told to sit at the conference and say some positive things. If KK was our manager and either refused or publicly slated it I'm sure Collins and his mates would've slaughtered him. I'm only surprised he never found a way of implicating our support. A strange piece by him to be honest.

Regardless what anyone says, Newcastle are national news. We're one of the 7 clubs the media put their magnifying glass over, Man City and Chelsea are now getting it through their oil driven achievements, Tottenham have in recent years because of the disproportionate amount of Spurs fans in the media, but we always have. You can't compare Blackpool and Hearts to Newcastle United, we could buy both of them and use them as feeder clubs.

This is the crux of the matter Newcastle and Ashley is big news because we are one of the clubs that is under the spotlight and a club that has a controversial recent history with regard to all that has been going on.

We've got an owner who gets his belly out and downs pints for the cameras, not to mention being photographed lap dancing in his underpants in a curry house. Then there's stuff like dismissing KK and appointing a manager who calls the media cunts, putting the club up for sale on the internet and having a club executive who (allegedly) runs around the pitch with his cock hanging out for a bet. Controversy has been following MA around long before he arrived at NUFC. Ashley + Controversy is the bed he has made for himself in media terms.

The reaction in Newcastle to the deal is also a major factor. Supporters and politicians had all been highly critical of the deal. Whereas places like Blackpool are happy to take anything they can get. I thinks it's a credit to Newcastle that this deal was questioned, at least it shows we don't live in a moral vacuum, or at least until we were bought off with a cheap PR stunt about renaming the ground.

The idea NUFC are being singled out is correct to an extent, but it's a self inflicted situation.

Fair post.

Guest Your Name Here

I fail to see his point really, lets not have a go at Ashley about it or Llambias, i.e. the people who are 100% responsible for this wicked sponsorship, (from our end), lets have a go at the manager who even Collins must know, is beholden to the owners, for being told to sit at the conference and say some positive things. If KK was our manager and either refused or publicly slated it I'm sure Collins and his mates would've slaughtered him. I'm only surprised he never found a way of implicating our support. A strange piece by him to be honest.

I thought it was a decent article. Few journalists ever talk about the contempt with which supporters are still treated, even fewer (namely none) have questioned Pardew's role as PR frontman. Better something like this than the crap in the Ronnie.

Pardew embraces his role as Ashley PR puppet with a zeal that goes way beyond not rocking the boat. I can't think of any other manager who has so much to say about the politics at their club.

I thought it was a decent article. Few journalists ever talk about the contempt with which supporters are still treated, even fewer (namely none) have questioned Pardew's role as PR frontman. Better something like this than the crap in the Ronnie.

Pardew embraces his role as Ashley PR puppet with a zeal that goes way beyond not rocking the boat. I can't think of any other manager who has so much to say about the politics at their club.

Vis a vie we should be greateful we didn't lose anybody in the summer. Think he was saying it in almost every interview at one point...of course this after a summer of we wouldn't be able to stop our best players leaving if the 'right offer came in'. You can see it how you like...Wether managing expectations or not rocking the boat, but it's pretty clear to anybody paying attention he relishes his PR hijinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Should we be involved with a company like Wonga? Seems to be a question that many seem to have a view on and aren't holding back on voicing their opinions.

But first and foremost we have to consider how they're in a position to be able to offer us £8m a year to stick their logo on our shirts. This isn't just a bunch of cowboys who lend money out here and there, they're a reputable, legal business with a very real business model. More importantly a business cannot exist without an exploitable market i.e. without the willing custom, they wouldn't be here.

We can largely thank Thatcher's 80s for this and the capitalist mindset it encouraged. Banks and Building Societies shifted almost overnight from institutions that provided a service to establishments that were purely focused on making profit.

From the early 60s, my old man worked as a Building Society Manager. Providing a service to the public was his primary marker for job satisfaction. He used to pride himself on the fact he'd never sanction a mortgage or loan for someone he didn't feel had the means to repay it - his concsientious nature prevented him from allow people to hang themselves with debt.

As the 80s progressed, pressure was applied to my Dad from above to sell more - put people at risk because it was in the best interests of the profits of the company. Belligerent as he is, he remained unmoved and continued to lend to those he felt were capable of repaying. This pressure intensified towards the end of the decade but it was in the early 90s when breaking point was reached.

We were on holiday in the summer of 1991 and when he returned, his deputy manager had made complaints about his management style. This, a bloke who'd worked happily under my Dad for 12 years. It resulted in a disciplinary and my old man put on a written warning. 4 months later and this deputy manage to 'lose' a bag of cash that had been delivered by Securicor. He'd apparently left it on the counter (in the days before full glass screened counters) and gone to the back room. When he'd returned the cash had gone.

The society blamed this on the individual for gross misconduct and demoted him to standard clerk and relocated him from the office in Gosforth to the one in Pilgrim Street. But they also blamed it on poor management from my Dad and on account of his previous warning demoted him to the position of a Mortgage Advisor..... in Middlesbrough! To add insult to injury, they were removing his company car too. He not surprisingly, took early retirement.

To this day I'm convinced that both events were 'stunts' to remove my Dad from his position because he didn't conform to the greed of the capitalistic desires of the company. He wasn't the only one, many from his generation were removed from branch management positions around that time allowing a new, younger generation brought up on the 80s values to drive the company in the direction those pocket-filling b*stards wanted it...

And so it is we are where we are today and companies such as Wonga exist.

In the mid 90's, Obama was instrumental in introducing a bill that required banks in the US to make similar loans to people ....primarliy blacks...who didn't have a cat in hell's chance of making the repayments. As such, he helped drive the mortgage fiasco that occurred. I'd hardly call him a capitalist.

In the mid 90's, Obama was instrumental in introducing a bill that required banks in the US to make similar loans to people ....primarliy blacks...who didn't have a cat in hell's chance of making the repayments. As such, he helped drive the mortgage fiasco that occurred. I'd hardly call him a capitalist.

I'd hardly compare him to Thatcher either :lol:

Spot on Parky, he is directly to blame.

My reading of the situation is that instead of fighting to prevent the banking collapse, Craig's Dad baled out and took to his allotment.

If he'd stayed in his job, none of the financial meltdown would've happened and we'd still have Northern Rock.

Spot on Parky, he is directly to blame.

My reading of the situation is that instead of fighting to prevent the banking collapse, Craig's Dad baled out and took to his allotment.

If he'd stayed in his job, none of the financial meltdown would've happened and we'd still have Northern Rock.

What on earth are you going on about? :lol:

Muslim council never did get back to me.

If they're anything like Newcastle council I wouldn't be expecting a response any time soon. They'll be sitting in a greasy spoon before knocking off sharp.