sunderland v Newcastle United (a) 21/10/2012

The Fish

In 1985 he might not have even have had a yellow card, we're in 2012 now, and it's becoming less and less a combative physical sport. You know yourself 9 out of 10 referee would've given a red card for that.

Agreed, but looking at the guidelines theyre supposed to work to its a dubious decison to say the least. Thats what youve got to judge it on and it a grey area to say the least.

The physical aspect of the game is becoming less and less...I never played (shitey Sunday league 11 a side) when you could charge the golaie or challenges from behind were allowed, so you can see the progression.....the better defenders know how to ease attackers off the ball, Colo does it a lot, when he can...Taylor and Willo don't, they dive straight in, see Willo yesterday for the free kick they scored from.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but looking at the guidelines theyre supposed to work to its a dubious decison to say the least. Thats what youve got to judge it on and it a grey area to say the least.

The physical aspect of the game is becoming less and less...I never played (shitey Sunday league 11 a side) when you could charge the golaie or challenges from behind were allowed, so you can see the progression.....the better defenders know how to ease attackers off the ball, Colo does it a lot, when he can...Taylor and Willo don't, they dive straight in, see Willo yesterday for the free kick they scored from.

Sunday League football when I started playing as a 16 year old, about 95, was thuggish and it was a reflection of the football league, now even a softly softly approached has appeared there.

I think Martin Atkinson was a disgrace aside from that, I and many other toon fans must've started getting paranoid at the amount of basic decisions he was getting wrong. Corners that should've been ours, letting tough challenges go but being pedantic about others. Would be interesting to recall if he's reffed us before, and what he was like then.

Sunday League football when I started playing as a 16 year old, about 95, was thuggish and it was a reflection of the football league, now even a softly softly approached has appeared there.

I think Martin Atkinson was a disgrace aside from that, I and many other toon fans must've started getting paranoid at the amount of basic decisions he was getting wrong. Corners that should've been ours, letting tough challenges go but being pedantic about others. Would be interesting to recall if he's reffed us before, and what he was like then.

He was the ref when De Jong snapped Ben Arfa in two, no free kick.

Edited by Toonpack

Spurs first game of the season according to .com

His misuse of the advantage rule was terrible Stevie.

As I said above, Atkinson was the ref at man city when Ben Arfa was done.

That HBA one should've resulted in 10 game ban like Witsel got for Anderlecht.

See if us or the mackems get to the FA Cup Semi Final, we won't be playing at our scheduled date. Looking at the fixture list that would mean a night game for the first time in well over a decade, that would be quite tasty for the OB, and the atmosphere would be amazing.

Say no more then. Leeds fan by the looks of it. That Brian Coddington was from Yorkshire too.

So was Trelford Mills.

Atkinson was a complete red & white, fucking mackem sympathising bastard with as much fair discretion as Obama reffing an Iraq ex-jihad squad over 30's mens side versus a under 12 blind and deaf all American girl team.

We would but fans scream for a red for any remotely bad challenge these days.

It was a strong challenge and foul and I think that's why Pardew has said what he has and why we won't appeal. But in all honesty it's a yellow.

Anyone saying that if Fletcher's foot was planted he could have broke his leg is not making a valid point because if his leg was planted he wouldn't have got the ball ahead of Tiote so he wouldn't have made that contact.

And there is no way he went in with his studds as he's going in side footed and by that he wasn't out of control. If it had been a stamp type movement, the photo Stevie posted would have been showing him going in with his studds but that simply wasn't the case.

I also think all this talk about him needing to controll himself better is valid in general and if he had been able to do this earlier in his career I don't think he would have got sent off yesterday. But I don't think the challenge yesterday is a good example of him being reckless or anything. Yes the whistle had gone so he didn't need to make the tackle but I think he was already comitted to it. All it was, was slightly mistimed as Fletcher got there before him. These things happen all the time and should never be a sending off for me.

couldn't agree more with this. Amazed so many people thought it was a red.

So was Trelford Mills.

Atkinson was a complete red & white, fucking mackem sympathising bastard with as much fair discretion as Obama reffing an Iraq ex-jihad squad over 30's mens side versus a under 12 blind and deaf all American girl team.

See that Brian Coddington he was from South Yorkshire, about 20 miles from Derby, he was blatantly cheating and should've been jailed.

I think Pardew is simply playing it sensible about Tiote's red card in agreeing with it.

By simply agreeing with it, it doesn't bring any focus onto the club by the FA and any ref's in future games.

I think ref's have a , ' I'll teach you' routine for certain managers that speak out against their decisions.

I think Pardew is simply playing it sensible about Tiote's red card in agreeing with it.

By simply agreeing with it, it doesn't bring any focus onto the club by the FA and any ref's in future games.

I think ref's have a , ' I'll teach you' routine for certain managers that speak out against their decisions.

I think you think wrong, I'd cite Sir Alex F as corroborating evidence.

The Canadian Toon contingent is not very happy with today’s goings on. We just finished writing a stern letter to our Member of Parliament. Yes, under the circumstances, we will take the point, but we are really shaking our fists furiously over here.

http://youtu.be/tdoF_j9u59U

Edited by LooneyToony

Had eyes for the ball, if this is now a sending off, your looking at one or two red cards a game

Aye the ball p*ssed off to Tiote's right and his eyes followed it. His right boot however, didn't....

All of which further highlights that he was sent off on his reputation and not the foul, which is sh*t refereeing.

Not that I'm agreeing with you but by the same context Suarez doesn't get the rub of the green on free-kicks because of his reputation.

Tiote makes his own reputation, not the referee. Regardless - he was sent off because of the challenge, not his reputation.

BTW how many of you on here saying that it wasn't worthy of a red felt that De Jong's challenge on Ben Arfa should have resulted in an early bath?

Can't have it both ways...

BTW how many of you on here saying that it wasn't worthy of a red felt that De Jong's challenge on Ben Arfa should have resulted in an early bath?

Can't have it both ways...

Exactly. Amazed by people of sanity like Renton coming out with comments that he's shocked that people think it was a red. It's right there in front of you.

I'm not looking at his reputation. I'm not looking at what tackles happened earlier in the game (or even in past derbies which I really don't see the relevance) I'm taking it as stand alone challenge and I thought it was dangerous. Not malicious, not premeditated, but clumsy as fuck and quite easily a way to seriously injure someone. That, in my opinion, should be punished with a red. Just my opinion!

I'm not looking at his reputation. I'm not looking at what tackles happened earlier in the game (or even in past derbies which I really don't see the relevance) I'm taking it as stand alone challenge and I thought it was dangerous. Not malicious, not premeditated, but clumsy as f*ck and quite easily a way to seriously injure someone. That, in my opinion, should be punished with a red. Just my opinion!

Totally agree.

I'd also say of those claiming it wasn't a red - how many of you, hand on heart would have thought the Mackems had been harshly dealt with if it had been the other way? Or more relevantly, how many of you would have been screaming "fix!" if one of theirs had got away with it?

I think people by nature are stubborn. I can be stubborn. My first utterances when it happened were "how the fucks that a sending off the cheating cunt", as will 99% of others have been similar. Once people have nailed their thoughts to the mast they find it difficult to admit they are wrong and refuse to alter their initial thoughts. As I said Pardew was livid at the red card, then he saw it again on TV and showed he's an honest man.

Heres the FA guidance for refs:

Careless, reckless, using excessive force

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or

consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.

• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the

danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.

• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary

use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.

• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

So which one of these does Tiote's challenge fall under?.....

careless. don't see how it could be the other two. he has one foot on the floor at one time. genuine attempt to win the ball if you ask me. it's a clumsy, late challenge rather than a malicious one. i don't think he went into it looking to injure the other player.

Exactly. Amazed by people of sanity like Renton coming out with comments that he's shocked that people think it was a red. It's right there in front of you.

And I can't believe you think it was in the same ball park as de Jong's thuggery. Honestly, hand on heart, I thought it was a nothing foul. No intent, not dangerous, Fletcher milked it and Tiote was done by reputation by a referee who blatantly hates NUFC. David Kelly's post was spot on imo.