Moussa Sissoko signs for Spurs for like £30m or WatEVA

Park Life

Just had a look at L'Equipe's article. Has a little more detail on it than you might think. Quick & liberal translation below:

While Tottenham have made a €25m bid to rescue Moussa Sissoko from his final three years at Newcastle, another London club have involved themselves in the deal: Chelsea! The Blues are currently in discussion with the advisers of the French attacking midfielder, who was earlier this morning authorised to leave Clairefontaine while the rest of the group flew to Bari.

Spurs, qualified for the Champions League, are thought to have an advantage on West Brom, the other club who have made an offer for Sissoko. But Chelsea is a different proposition to WBA, even despite having no European football to offer this season.

The Blues would be willing to stump up the 30 million required by Newcastle to free the former Toulouse player, something Tottenham have refused to do.

Everton being talked about again now.  Expect the the stories to swing back and forth til 11 then he's stuck here.

Have to say that I'm very surprised it's come to this.  With the money that's been spent on players who no one has heard of and don't have any experience in the league, I don't think the price we've set is too high for a player who as highly regarded.  Everyone who doesn't have to watch him regularly talks him up and we had no problem getting big money for Gini.

I think a lot of football fans rate him but it seems most of these clubs know what he's really like. I think Spurs see him as a sub/back up and value him as that, they sold Chadli for £13m so probably saw him as a good replacement for £16m but won't bother going higher.

He's not going anywhere, just hope we carry on with recruitment and bring in Atsu and another winger and not have to play him at all.

I agree.  The question is how long do you let him rot.  There's still a lot of his contract left and the more he doesn't play the more his value drops.  Arguably, his value will drop playing in the championship too, especially if he drops out of the French squad.  Don't think we'll ever get more for him than we can now unless he massively ups his performances for us.

I think a lot of football fans rate him but it seems most of these clubs know what he's really like. I think Spurs see him as a sub/back up and value him as that, they sold Chadli for £13m so probably saw him as a good replacement for £16m but won't bother going higher.

He's not going anywhere, just hope we carry on with recruitment and bring in Atsu and another winger and not have to play him at all.

I don't understand where they every plucked that figure out of.  It was always going to be a non starter.

Not picking on you as I think everyone thinks this but it's a mad perspective for me to hope that we never play him again. I hope he goes now but if he doesn't, I hope he plays for us and does well. If he is there tomorrow, he is an asset we need to use to maximize his return to the club.

Not picking on you as I think everyone thinks this but it's a mad perspective for me to hope that we never play him again. I hope he goes now but if he doesn't, I hope he plays for us and does well. If he is there tomorrow, he is an asset we need to use to maximize his return to the club.

He's a player who, unless he's putting in the effort, is worse than fucking useless.  He couldn't be bothered to put the effort in when we playing in the premier league so I can't believe after a summer of sulking he's going to put it in now.  Even against the weaker opposition in this league he'll be a waste of a shirt if he plays in a huff.

It would be great if he's off to Chelsea for £30m-ish. Agree with the first part of what CT said, about letting him rot being to the detriment of the club but I don't see him doing a job for us in the Championship when he couldn't be arsed in the Premier League, even allowing for it being a lot easier for him.

I just personally don't rate him as things stand, more on account of him not really bothering during games in the PL than not thinking he can be impactful, if he started some games and did well I'm not averse to him playing more but I just can't see him being that willing to bother given he'll have missed out on his big move and most the games aren't televised which is why I'd just rather we didn't bother with him. I'm more just hoping we carry on with recruitment as opposed to relying on him.

If he plays I'd of course wish he does well, fwiw if he does stay I think we'll definitely see him play I just hope he is dropped if he doesn't perform as we've seen past managers have a tendency to keep him in the side just because the potential for him to play better than others was there. Agree on the hope he goes though, I just see no worth in keeping a player that is clearly unhappy, I'd be happy seeing the club sell him for around 20m. I know there have been players moved around for mental money but realistically this is our only shot at selling him for that sort of money.

Edited by Howay

Caulkin adds a bit of credibility but he tweeted something the other night and then dismissed it seconds later.

I'd take a part ex with McCarthy from Everton.

Aye 15-20m + McCarthy would be excellent, not sure he'd drop down a division but he'd make a good midfield 3 with Diame and Hayden.

They sold Stones for a fortune and have that new owner who allegedly wants to start spending big so I wouldn't write it off for that. I do think journos are probably just reaching now since he left France, he probably just left France to make sure he was available rather than any real knowledge that he was going somewhere.

Silly talk of letting him rot. No use to anyone. I'm sure if he stays Rafa will take him to one side, sort his head out and have him playing well.

That would be the most constructive thing to do but he's a lazy spineless bastard and I expect him to not bother his arse.

Caulkin adds a bit of credibility but he tweeted something the other night and then dismissed it seconds later.

I'd take a part ex with McCarthy from Everton.

If we got 15-20M out of Everton + McCarthy we'd be laughing.