Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Sorry everyone, it turns out immigrants are actually quite useful 

image.thumb.png.b513a02db02af00ad4def3d0d539cfac.png

The daily mail comment section has the answer though - force those people on benefits to do these jobs.

We were out yesterday and genuinely had to go and fill up cos car was about to run out. Tesco at KP had completely run out of normal unleaded and only had premium left. 

I splashed out cos I'm a gangsta but the place was bedlam. What a winter we've got in store here. :lol:

I'm now with Octopus Energy as all Avro customers have been hoyed across. They seem like good lads so far. 

Looks like Schnapps will be told to sod off. This from The Mirror ...

The drivers who he hopes to attract say the Government’s offer is not tempting.

Imran Mustafa, 32, who lives in Barcelona, said: “I would move but not for three months.

“It’s not enough time as we don’t know the roads, the maps or how it all works.

“...French people, German people, Spanish people, they’re already earning a lot of money, so why would they move to the UK for three months only on a temporary visa?”

HGV driver Mehmet Ozalp, 28, from Turkey, recently relocated to live in Germany.

He added: “I would only move for at least six months and above.

“If you’re moving thousands of kilometres, it shouldn’t be just for three months.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trooper said:

That sounds great, Boris is fixing the problem he created.

Except the army has 2,000 HGV drivers.

40% of them are reservists so guess what their day job is?

We don't know how many of those 2,000 are actually in the country.

We also don't know how many of them have the extra qualifications required to transport fuel.

I'm beginning to think that this may not be the fix Johnson thinks it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Just a rhetorical question, obviously but when has any mid-sized country with an ageing population ever been able find enough workers without immigration? 

It's nothing to do with immigration, have you forgotten about the pingdemic?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The daily mail comment section has the answer though - force those people on benefits to do these jobs.

Not that it needs explaining to most on here but anyone who’s ever spent much time working in a job centre will tell you a lot of the people they see who are classed as unemployed are basically unemployable, for a variety of reasons. The idea everyone on the dole could be trained (even ignoring the amount of time needed) as chefs, HGV drivers, nurses, lab technicians, whatever is pure pie in the sky. Mostly believed by people with large pensions who were able to retire in their 50s 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's nothing to do with immigration, have you forgotten about the pingdemic?

Not about immigration, that’s why the suggested solution is to relax immigration rules. As for your point the: the army, I think it would require the whole of the army (inc reserves) to be HGV drivers to plug the gap. That’s if they were available anyway (and not already HGV drivers as their day job, as you point will apply to some of those reserve numbers).