Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Isegrim said:

I don’t think any country has benefited. There would also be little resistance  bar some posturing against the UK to rejoin, but it would have to be without rebates this time.

Nobody's benefited from the sheer waste of energy from the protracted negotiations leading to the shite deal we got. And the EU has lost our subs money, but that's quite trivial (and you're getting a 38 billion euro lump sum!). But EU countries can currently export to the UK unhindered without this being reciprocated. So your export market is unhindered, and you import less from us so can switch to EU suppliers which is a net benefit. Also there has been a flow of financial jobs to the EU. But most importantly, from the EU's perspective, I don't know why you would want such a difficult partner to part of the union, we most certainly held it back and will continue to do so, I will never forget the embarrassment of those UKIP MEPs on the last sitting they were in. It just makes much more sense for us to be in a close economic relationship but be divorced politically. Those clearly aren't independent of each other of course and we also need to be in a security partnership. 

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

I don’t think any country has benefited. There would also be little resistance  bar some posturing against the UK to rejoin, but it would have to be without rebates this time.

the great irony of all of this: we literally had the best deal of any member state 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the great irony of all of this: we literally had the best deal of any member state 

Yep, also literally were the most influential member state along with France and Germany. :bang:

• Like 2

reverse ferret! the thing about johnson and his unprincipled stand is is he never believed in brexit in the first place and will have no problem performing u-turns when thing inevitably go tit up

Boris Johnson agrees to relax visa rules for foreign truck drivers
https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-9019-471b-9cbf-d7554c3b40b2

Boris Johnson has given the go-ahead to ministers to relax UK immigration rules to allow more foreign truck drivers into the country to ease shortages at petrol stations and wider economic disruption.

One person close to the situation said the prime minister had issued instructions to fix the escalating problem. “Boris wants this solved,” he said. Meanwhile an ally of Johnson said: “Boris is completely fed up with bad headlines on this and wants it sorted and doesn’t care about visa limits any more.”

Home secretary Priti Patel was previously the strongest opponent of giving temporary visas to foreign HGV drivers, arguing it would lead to a stampede of different industries demanding similar preferential treatment.

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

reverse ferret! the thing about johnson and his unprincipled stand is is he never believed in brexit in the first place and will have no problem performing u-turns when thing inevitably go tit up

Boris Johnson agrees to relax visa rules for foreign truck drivers
https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-9019-471b-9cbf-d7554c3b40b2

Boris Johnson has given the go-ahead to ministers to relax UK immigration rules to allow more foreign truck drivers into the country to ease shortages at petrol stations and wider economic disruption.

One person close to the situation said the prime minister had issued instructions to fix the escalating problem. “Boris wants this solved,” he said. Meanwhile an ally of Johnson said: “Boris is completely fed up with bad headlines on this and wants it sorted and doesn’t care about visa limits any more.”

Home secretary Priti Patel was previously the strongest opponent of giving temporary visas to foreign HGV drivers, arguing it would lead to a stampede of different industries demanding similar preferential treatment.

Will they want to come? There's a shortage in Europe so they are in demand, will have to pay them a hefty wedge I would imagine. 

Carnage at Morrisons Whitley Bay this morning. Massive queue of cars for fuel which due to the layout was blocking cars just going to the supermarket, which I was. When I got in I was greeted by masses of empty shelves or shelves faced over with random stock. About 20% of the stuff I needed was out 9f stock and noticeably less choice of brands or flavours etc l.

First World problems I guess, but then I thought we actually lived in the first world? I'm increasingly not so sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trooper said:

That fuel cap article is interesting,  suggests there are genuine shortages beyond logistical at the user end. Last time we had this, iirc, there was a minimum spend applied to stop people topping up and creating unnecessary traffic issues. Now they are implementing a maximum spend, it suggests really serious issues relating to shortages. 

This from BBC 25 minutes ago

The Road Haulage Association estimated the UK is short of about 100,000 HGV drivers - with existing shortages made worse by a number of factors, including the pandemic and Brexit.

It is understood that about 5,000 temporary visas could be issued.

Its still a massive short fall of drivers even if all 5,000 are employed

Edited by trooper

14 minutes ago, trooper said:

This from BBC 25 minutes ago

The Road Haulage Association estimated the UK is short of about 100,000 HGV drivers - with existing shortages made worse by a number of factors, including the pandemic and Brexit.

It is understood that about 5,000 temporary visas could be issued.

Its still a massive short fall of drivers even if all 5,000 are employed

But under new plans there could be 300 new drivers qualifying every week 

Well this has escalated. Sainsburys in Cramlington have no petrol neither do BP & Shell at Annitsford. Co op garage must have some but the queues are ridiculous 

Edited by trooper