Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm at the stage where I'd like to see this happen. If we still have 4 years to the next GE, we have the time. Let Corbyn keep the labour party and his 30 odd loyal MPs. Let the rest form their own party, ideally with a merger with the Lib Dems. That would rightfully leave Corbyn's party as the 4th largest party in west minster. This wouldn't be like the SDP split of the 80s because it would have massive parliamentary support, and I hope, public support.

We're in desperate times, we need radical measures.

Isnt your conclusion at the end of this post a blatant contradiction?

"Radical measures" isn't more neo liberal bullshit that got us into the state were in now, it's just more of the same. I understand your "least worse option" (that's pretty much how I voted) thing but there's 10s of millions who voted for some sort of change and as a result we're out of the EU. There's huge swathes of this country in which, for for dozens of communities', their "reason for existing" has vanished. They're the ones who voted out, they're the ones who will get no change pretty much regardless of how they voted. I don't see that as being any choice whatsoever. If this MOTR party gets started am sure it will attract a lot of voters, but can you envisage that they'd change anything in a significant way, should they get into power?

Edited by PaddockLad

Isnt your conclusion at the end of this post a blatant contradiction?

"Radical measures" isn't more neo liberal bullshit that got us into the state were in now, it's just more of the same. I understand your "least worse option" (that's pretty much how I voted) thing but there's 10s of millions who voted for some sort of change and as a result we're out of the EU. There's huge swathes of this country in which, for for dozens of communities', their "reason for existing" has vanished. They're the ones who voted out, they're the ones who will get no change pretty much regardless of how they voted. I don't see that as being any choice whatsoever. If this MOTR party gets started am sure it will attract a lot of voters, but can you envisage that they'd change anything in a significant way, should they get into power?

I would say the labour party splitting in the way I described as quite radical, yes. Another radical measure that they should introduce as part of their manifesto is proportional representation. This would address many of your issues. FTP doesn't work any more.

I can dream.

and there she goes, as I predicted last week, sterling today fell below $1.30, hitting a low of $1.28 - last seen in 1985. the currency market is forecasting further weakness as investors pile into havens like gold and government debt.

the pound's dramatic slide, from $1.50 pre-brexit, has fanned fears that foreign investors will sell UK assets as they try and get ahead of a deeper decline for the currency.

BAU - unless you're planning a holiday any time soon.

BAU - unless you're planning a holiday any time soon.

I thought I'd be all right with my next holiday being in Bulgaria, but it turns out the lev is pegged to the euro. Brilliant. :lol:

Why on earth is this utter chaos being allowed to happen. The damage is still reversible but looks like it's going to be unfathomable if we stay the course.

Obviously the best scenario is for Europe to save our asses by offering some kind of negotiation on free movement, but they aren't going to do that. The more likely option would be for the government, as a collective, across all parties, to come forward and just say 'this is fucking mental and we can't and won't do it'.

Edited by Rayvin

two leading economists, Mohammed El-Erian and George Magnus, warn sterling could sink to parity with the dollar. Several leading investment banks see a short term out look of $1.10 to $1.20.

Meanwhile, Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund, has called on Britain to resolve its relationship with the European Union quickly, to limit the economic damage of Brexit.

Business as mother fucking usual.

Edited by Dr Gloom

two leading economists, Mohammed El-Erian and George Magnus, warn sterling could sink to parity with the dollar. Several leading investment banks see a short term out look of $1.10 to $1.20.

Meanwhile, Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund, has called on Britain to resolve its relationship with the European Union quickly, to limit the economic damage of Brexit.

Business as mother fucking usual.

Love how (not really, but you know what I mean) the leadership contest is set for the autumn so as not to fuck up anyone's summer holiday plans.