Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The words of Alan Pardew on August 23rd......

What's changed in 11 days then?

nothing. he was probably hoping to put a little pressure on the owner to dust the cobwebs off his wallet. in reality he has zero influence now, particularly after last season.

it must be galling and frustrating for pardew but he knows he's never going to manage a bigger club than us. just as we know the next manager ashley appoints is likely to be even worse than pardew.

If he had any self-respect, he would have already.

Wants the pay off when he's sacked.

If he does that, he misses out on a huge payout he'd be due from his inevitable sacking.

We don't know that though, do we? That contract is most probably full of exclusion clauses, it's Mike Ashley we're talking about after all. I remember one of the papers (can't remember which) reporting earlier this year that it wouldn't be a problem at all for Ashley to sack Pardew if he wanted to. Could well be that Ashley is just happy to stick with Pardew as long as we stay in the Premiership as he doesn't give a fuck about how we play or what the fans think.

The worry of that statement is that its basically a slur on Graham Carr. Will he walk?

:lol: :lol:

That's EXACTLY what I thought of when I read that statement, I thought, 'shit! What will Graham Carr do now after that slur?'

If he does that, he misses out on a huge payout he'd be due from his inevitable sacking. He'll also never manage a bigger club.

The club clearly don't have as much trust in him and have decided that the signings in January and the lack of Europa league should be enough to guarantee roughly 10th position. As Gemmil has been saying recently, it would take HUGE investment to break the top 4 and from there, there seems to be no difference to the owner between finishing 6th and 16th.

I really thought it was huge that we stayed in the PL last season due to the huge bump in TV money, when we could hopefully add a few shrewd signings and maybe aim for 5th or so again and kick-on.

Interview with Micky Quinn in the Chronicle discussing it. here

KK resigned and ended up with a £2m payout I seem to remember.

Statement From Alan Pardew - Summer Transfer Window
We are delighted to have brought Loic Remy to the club in this window and we believe he will form an exciting and effective partnership with Papiss Cisse.
Joe has worked hard on numerous targets, particularly an additional offensive player. However some of the options that were available within our financial means were not as good as the players we already had and there is no point bringing in new players unless they can improve us and take us forward.
We did the majority of our business in the January window, signing five excellent first team players.
With the strong squad we have we should all approach the season in a positive, optimistic frame of mind.

:o

He's being royally bum fucked isn't he? :lol:

I'm sorry, it's impossible for me to have any respect at all for this man.

So Gomis and Bent or not as good as Shola? If he does think that then he really shouldn't be a football manager.

Even shopping in the bargain basement I would have Odemwengie or Long.

Top and bottom is they are clueless and don't give a shit and by Pardew coming out with that looses what little credibility he had

The interview that Pardew did with Caulkin about a month ago was very telling. I probably cannot access quotes, but this is as best as I can remember

Pardew : "My contract very clearly states, I manage the team".

I'd say as soon as Kinnear was drunk on talksport saying he was in charge of all things football, that Pardew was straight onto his agent/solicitor seeing if he had a case for breach of contract from the club. A day or two later, (I'd say furious negotiations took place) it was announced that Kinnear would have no input into the 1st team.

edit: in response to Craig

Edited by Barney

Carefully worded. - "options within our financial means".

Read into that what you may but I see it as they didn't want to spend more than £4-5m and weren't prepared to fund any of the wages in a loan scenario (Remy aside).

In those constraints the statement is most likely factually correct.

Pardew can say whatever he likes tbh. I'd like the club to justify the purpose of appointing JFK if they weren't actually going to sign anyone.

It's a pipe dream that we'll ever get that explanation, i'm well aware.

BTW Pardew's statement when we avoided relegation.....

"We're very, very lucky to have the support that we got and therefore we owe them a debt next year to make sure that we serve up a better standard of football and better quality of results.

"We showed we’ve got great players. We’ve had some performances out there which were top drawer. We know, in that (dressing) room, we’ve got 80 per cent of the team.

"We still need to make sure we get two or three recruits in there which take us forward. If we can do that, they’ll grow as well, and we’ll be much, much better next year.

"You hear managers taking about needing three players to make the perfect side – Arsene would probably say the same – but we genuinely, genuinely need a couple in that first team that complement the others."

and we're more than living within our financial means. pretty much every other club, flush with the new sky money, has spunked a bit of cash on new players this summer. our approach is just miserly.

What was depressing was that league table of money spent on SSN last night. Arsenal, West Brom & Newcastle on £0 until about 10:50 when the other two sorted themselves out.

The only club that didn't spend a single penny.

Joke!

When do we actually get paid the TV money?

I know we buy upfront, so is it plausible from a a financial perspective we are waiting for it to be in the bank before spending? :pray:

2832545604_3cd9e7c279_z.jpg