Newcastle v Sunderland

Christmas Tree

Total coincidence but I was looking through my draws for a charger and found a ticket for the 2009 derby. 1-1. :anguish:

My Dad just dropped off some ladders he borrowed as he's stripped wallpaper from the passage. Apparently somebody wrote 'SAFC are shit' in 1986 on the wall. :whistle:

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunderland sound really up for this - Di Canio seems to think that Sunderland will be a bigger club than us in a couple of years; a puzzling statement at best.

I guess the question here really is, is Di Canio actually as good as he thinks he is, or is he just over excited and a pillock.

They're always up for it until they step out on the pitch then bottle it and resort to dragging the game into a sloppy, kick seven shades of shit out of the mags fest.

We need to bide our time and just keep the ball. A goal or two will come as they will offer very little going forward unless we turn over possession cheaply.

They're always up for it until they step out on the pitch then bottle it and resort to dragging the game into a sloppy, kick seven shades of shit out of the mags fest.

We need to bide our time and just keep the ball. A goal or two will come as they will offer very little going forward unless we turn over possession cheaply.

I guess my concern is that Di Canio is an enigma, I don't know what his qualities are. If they'd hired Mark Hughes this would be easier, but with him, they're either going to be awful and overstretch themselves going for a win, or it'll be one of those awkward edgy games which I will very much not enjoy.

Beating them 2-1 doesn't seem like much of an achievement, we're clearly better than they are and should be managing a win at the very least. Beating them 3-0 would send a message and it would be really difficult for them to rationalise that they're still somehow a better team.

I think a simple win just maintains the status quo. It'd be good if we started winning more convincingly so we can put to bed this idea that they're anywhere near us. Builds up a psychological barrier when they play us and will mean they will begin expecting to lose. I'm not sure if that's true at the moment.

I guess my concern is that Di Canio is an enigma, I don't know what his qualities are. If they'd hired Mark Hughes this would be easier, but with him, they're either going to be awful and overstretch themselves going for a win, or it'll be one of those awkward edgy games which I will very much not enjoy.

Beating them 2-1 doesn't seem like much of an achievement, we're clearly better than they are and should be managing a win at the very least. Beating them 3-0 would send a message and it would be really difficult for them to rationalise that they're still somehow a better team.

You say 'enigma' I say 'Bull's Knacker'. He's lost all his derbies as Swindon boss despite being 'passionate' and his patter about being bigger than Newcastle Utd is straight out of the 'Congratulations on becoming Sunderland Manager, 100 top tips for quotes to feed the locals' manual.

They loved Ball's passion, (1-4 at the SoL), They thought Bruce's side would win easily up here as they were far better, (5-1) and you could go on really. Keane and MoN were going to take them to the next level as well. I've heard it all before.

To some degree I feel like we're getting a bit arrogant when dealing with Sunderland, something that 'if' they ever did manage a result against would be like an open-top bus parade for them. However, logic and form point to us winning this again, regardless of Di Canio's ramblings - I've said before that I like the guy as a character, but that's all he is so far, he's shown nothing that instantly makes him a top manager, hell he had to use his own money to get anywhere with Swindon...

* For the record though, I'm always nervous before derby matches, just because you know how much the unwashed masses would get carried away with it if the got anything - whereas if we win it's more important to us as just another three points away from the relegation fight.

Edited by TheMoog

I think a simple win just maintains the status quo. It'd be good if we started winning more convincingly so we can put to bed this idea that they're anywhere near us. Builds up a psychological barrier when they play us and will mean they will begin expecting to lose. I'm not sure if that's true at the moment.

The status quo is we''re potentially top 6 material and they are utter shit, highly likely to be relegated imo. That may sound arrogant considering our dismal league position, but that's down to a range of factors that have already been discussed. We don't need to thrash them to prove this, 1-0 or 5-1 is still 3 points to us and safety.

I think we will truly trounce them tomorrow and have rarely looked forward to a derby with such anticipation. They are a dire, embarrassing side and it would be doing the Premier League a favour to send them down.

The status quo is we''re potentially top 6 material and they are utter shit, highly likely to be relegated imo.

You're right, I suppose my views have just been tainted a bit by this uncomfortable season. Will feel a lot better after the game though (assuming all goes to plan).

I think we will truly trounce them tomorrow and have rarely looked forward to a derby with such anticipation. They are a dire, embarrassing side and it would be doing the Premier League a favour to send them down.

:nufc:

I very much hope you're right.

I hope we trounce them but as we don't do trouncing this season I think it's unlikely.

It will most likely be the usual nervy affair with an odd goal nicking it.

Unless of course Pardew decides to "attack"

One thing I would agree with, we certainly don't go all out any more. I think that Southampton game was the first time we'd scored 4 since that legendary Arsenal game two years earlier. With that said, we've looked tighter at the back in general (Christmas period and WIlliamson aside) than I can ever remember us being.

I hope we trounce them but as we don't do trouncing this season I think it's unlikely.

It will most likely be the usual nervy affair with an odd goal nicking it.

Unless of course Pardew decides to "attack"

We just need to win and I'll be very happy. We've won our last four league games at home, that's a good record to have and a few PL teams would like recent form like that. Let's just get the fifth win trouncing or not, (probably not in a derby).