Taylor does his knee again

Dr Gloom

poor lad. another season on the sidelines after all that time out already. i was looking forward to seeing some quality from dead balls again next season. wishing a speedy recovery to our most improved player of last season.

Newcastle United are sad to announce that Ryan Taylor has suffered a further cruciate knee injury.

Taylor, aged 28, and with 91 United appearances under his belt, injured his knee in the early stages of the home Europa League qualifier against Atromitos last August, undergoing surgery shortly after to repair the ligament damage.

After making good progress over the past eight months and having just returned to training, this latest news is a massive blow to the popular player.

Manager Alan Pardew said: "Ryan has worked so hard and diligently since his injury.

"He has been a model patient and has given his all to ensure he could return to full training in the best condition possible. Clearly everyone at the Club is deeply saddened by this news.

"Ryan has, and will continue to, receive the full support of everyone at Newcastle United during this difficult time for him."

It is likely that Taylor will miss the majority, if not all, of next season.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Tim Krul will undergo surgery on Monday after dislocating his shoulder in the Tyne-Wear derby last Sunday. The Club expects him to return to training at the end of July.

http://www.nufc.co.u..._medium=twitter

no news on whether it's the same knee as before. not even sure what would be worse actually. having one dogy knee that could again at any time. or two suspect ones.

Shame for the lad who seems a good genuine bloke.

But as it effects the team, well it doesn't much really. He's never been that good, championship level but with the ability to take a decent set piece (a lot of his corners were still shite but people tend to forget this). He wouldn't ever be in the first team other than through injuries.

Shame for the lad who seems a good genuine bloke.

But as it effects the team, well it doesn't much really. He's never been that good, championship level but with the ability to take a decent set piece (a lot of his corners were still shite but people tend to forget this). He wouldn't ever be in the first team other than through injuries.

not sure i agree tbh. he was a bit suspect positionally when he first joined, particularly in defence, but looked much much better last season. did a brilliant job at left back in that run when we couldn't stop winning. plus you forget what a difference it makes to a team when you have a player that is a genuine threat from free kicks and corners. cabaye and marveaux's set pieces have been very poor lately.

not sure i agree tbh. he was a bit suspect positionally when he first joined, particularly in defence, but looked much much better last season. did a brilliant job at left back in that run when we couldn't stop winning. plus you forget what a difference it makes to a team when you have a player that is a genuine threat from free kicks and corners. cabaye and marveaux's set pieces have been very poor lately.

Off the top of my head I'd say that Cabaye has probably scored as many or more freekicks that Raylor and I still remember that a lot of his corners were gash and we were crying out fo Cabaye to take them in his place. Classic case of a player becoming better when he's not playing!

Our set pieces are wank but I really don't think that Raylor is the answer. It's about what we do (or don't) in training.

I do agree that he did really well at leftback last season until Santon got into the team but if we're honest he'd got a little found out by the end (probably when he finally tried to get involved in the attack).

He's a squad player, nothing else. He's flexible enough to play in a few positions but if everyones fit we've got better options in all of them. We've missed him in the squad this season but only because of the injuries and amount of games. Had we made the january signings in the summer and had a bit more luck with injuries, he wouldn't have figured much outside of cup games.

I'm not wanting to knock him because like I said he seems a genuine kid but our struggles, his freekick against the unwashed and our poor set pieces are making people think he's better than he really is.

Off the top of my head I'd say that Cabaye has probably scored as many or more freekicks that Raylor and I still remember that a lot of his corners were gash and we were crying out fo Cabaye to take them in his place. Classic case of a player becoming better when he's not playing!

Our set pieces are wank but I really don't think that Raylor is the answer. It's about what we do (or don't) in training.

I do agree that he did really well at leftback last season until Santon got into the team but if we're honest he'd got a little found out by the end (probably when he finally tried to get involved in the attack).

He's a squad player, nothing else. He's flexible enough to play in a few positions but if everyones fit we've got better options in all of them. We've missed him in the squad this season but only because of the injuries and amount of games. Had we made the january signings in the summer and had a bit more luck with injuries, he wouldn't have figured much outside of cup games.

I'm not wanting to knock him because like I said he seems a genuine kid but our struggles, his freekick against the unwashed and our poor set pieces are making people think he's better than he really is.

not saying he's the best player in the squad or a guaranteed starter but i reckon he proved himself to be much more than a championship player.

...and he'd definitely have been getting games in the last few months, despite all the new arrivals, with all the extra fixtures and the form of a lot of them.

I think he (was?) a quality player myself . To say hes not good enough for our first team is harsh - given how Jonas has been asked to play, Taylors first choice for that role in my book.

not saying he's the best player in the squad or a guaranteed starter but i reckon he proved himself to be much more than a championship player.

He wasn't even in our first eleven in the championship.

I agree he'd definitely be getting game time now but no one would have him in their first eleven. He's a usefull member of the squad and I do feel for him but not a great loss to the team at the end of the day

Actually for the team I suppose it's good this has happened now rather than after the transfer window. At least we know now we can't be banking on having him available.

• 1 year later...

RYAN Taylor was in denial. After all, it couldn’t happen twice, could it?

But it can, and it did.

This was April last year.

Taylor was lying, prone, in agony clutching his right knee.

He had just come through seven months of painstaking and meticulous rehabilitation from a ruptured cruciate ligament.

3417277767.jpg

Then the same thing happened at Newcastle United’s Benton training ground.

There wasn’t even anywhere near him on the practice pitch.

There wasn’t even a tackle, just an unfortunate twist of the knee.

It just happened.

Luckless Taylor initially convinced himself that it wasn’t the same injury that he had suffered in a Europa League qualifier against Atromitos at St James’s Park in August 2012.

The 29-year-old had scored a trademark free-kick in the first leg, which kicked off with the temperature approaching 40 degrees in Athens.

But there was a chill in the air a week later on Tyneside.

And a scan a few days after the game confirmed his and the club’s worst fears.

Taylor isn’t ashamed to admit there were tears in the doctor’s room when he was told he would miss another season of football.

“I tried to convince myself it wasn’t,” Taylor told the Gazette in an exclusive interview.

“I knew I’d done something, but I tried to convince myself it wasn’t the same injury.

“I was trying to remain positive until I had the scan.

“There was nobody near me in training. There was just one twist.

“I had the scan and it didn’t sink in until I came back in.

“There were tears in the doc’s room. I didn’t know what to do at the time.

“I’d just worked for seven months solid to make sure I was back. I was looking towards the next season, not the last three or four games (of the 2012-13 season). I wasn’t interested, to be honest.

“It would have been nice, but it wasn’t the main concern.

“The lowest point was being told it’s a re-rupture. It didn’t sink in – I tried to still think it wasn’t.

“When I came back in and talked to the doc, that’s when it all hit me. That was definitely the lowest point.

“It took a couple of weeks to get over it.

“They gave me some time off to just have some family time.”

Once he had come to terms with what had happened, Taylor focused on what he had to do.

“We just came back and spoke to a couple of people,” said the likeable Liverpudlian, signed from Wigan Athletic in 2009.

“We realised the best one to go to was The Steadman Clinic over in Colorado.

“I just didn’t know why it happened again until we went and saw the guys over in Colorado.

“They figured everything out as to what the problem was and they have corrected it now.

“We went out there and I’ve been as positive as I could have been. There was an issue with the first one, and they fixed it. Now it should be fine.”

Alan Shearer and Michael Owen are among those to have undergone procedures at the world-renowned Steadman Clinic.

And Taylor sought their advice before deciding to make the journey across the Atlantic to Colorado with the club’s long-serving and experienced physio Derek Wright, who has been with him every step of the way.

And the surgeons there were to discover why Taylor had suffered a second, agonising rupture.

“I spoke to Michael, Jimmy Bullard, Al (Shearer) and Jamie Redknapp,” said Taylor, who is working towards a return to training next month when his team-mates report back to the club.

“Because I knew it was such big surgery for me career-wise, I had to make sure it was right.

“I spoke to people who had been over there and come back from the same injury.

“They gave me the green light – everyone was so positive about the place. I was like ‘come on, let’s get over there’.

“But things didn’t work out. I had to have one operation and go back six months later to get the cruciate put in. That was the problem of why the first one went.”

Taylor has needed support from the club’s staff and his team-mates.

And he has got it, forging an especially strong bond with Wright.

“Every day, most players have asked how I’m getting on,” he said.

“On the staff side, every single one of the staff have been amazing – from the manager to the kit men.

“The physios and doctor are fantastic.”

Taylor embarked on the players’ “lap of appreciation” after the final game of the season last month.

Hopefully, he’ll be back on the field in a black and white shirt soon.