Manchester City v Newcastle

McFaul

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 30 years that passion. I am a pretty recent edition to the toon army but I love Newcastle United through the good and the bad. I understand we are in some BAD times right now and there is next to nothing to really be optimistic about, but no matter what this is our team and instead of all the constant complaining and I have been guilty of this too I think we should get behind the players staff even the owner cause for better or worse they are who we have and we gotta believe, pray , hope for good things. I dont care what anyone says i believe we can be a top 4 team barring any injury and the players actually play to their ability. We are a good team with the best fans and hopefully if we can start winning some more we can begin to recruit a higher tier caliber player and thats when the fun will really begin =]. It all begins with the win at Man City on Monday =]

***I apologize for the rant just passionate im not trying to go against anyone or calling ppl out just wanted to express my opinion***

No need to apologise mate, you are the rant Ying to my rant yang. I've ranted my fingers off this season break. I say relegated you say top 4, hopefully we'll have something in the middle.

Things I'd like to see from this game (apart from points).

Some of Debuchys much heralded class.

Ben Arfa showing he can play for the team more than himself.

Cabaye looking like the Cabaye of two seasons a go.

Sissoko showing that Chrlsea game potential.

Tiote back to his John Smiths best.

Cisse being fed.

They're my markets to see if we've recovered / learnt from last year.

Things I'd like to see from this game (apart from points).

Some of Debuchys much heralded class.

Ben Arfa showing he can play for the team more than himself.

Cabaye looking like the Cabaye of two seasons a go.

Sissoko showing that Chrlsea game potential.

Tiote back to his John Smiths best.

Cisse being fed.

They're my markets to see if we've recovered / learnt from last year.

Trust you

;)

If you can't see that Debuchy is a good player and Ben Arfa is a team player you may as well just stop watching football altogether.

Debuchy has done nothing IMO yet to show that we now have a sudden class gulf between him and Danny Simpdon. That's not saying he's poor or that Simpson is great, it's just saying that so far on the field his presence hasn't made a great deal of difference to where we were. Hopefully being his first full season his class will shine through.

As for Ben Arfa, more often than not I see him make a pass / try to make a pass when something else he's trying to do doesn't come off. I would like to see him whip the occasional first time cross in or slide a quick ball through to a running Cisse rather than feeling the need to try and take on several players first. Him simply receiving the ball out wide, taking a couple of defenders on whilst the momentum of a break is lost happened too often last year.

Either that or he needs to get the ball in more dangerous areas.

Most teams last year realised he was our only threat and dealt with him fairly easily.

Debuchy has done nothing IMO yet to show that we now have a sudden class gulf between him and Danny Simpdon. That's not saying he's poor or that Simpson is great, it's just saying that so far on the field his presence hasn't made a great deal of difference to where we were. Hopefully being his first full season his class will shine through.

As for Ben Arfa, more often than not I see him make a pass / try to make a pass when something else he's trying to do doesn't come off. I would like to see him whip the occasional first time cross in or slide a quick ball through to a running Cisse rather than feeling the need to try and take on several players first. Him simply receiving the ball out wide, taking a couple of defenders on whilst the momentum of a break is lost happened too often last year.

Most teams last year realised he was our only threat and dealt with him fairly easily.

I can only assume you haven't been watching. A lost cause & I've better things to do than educate a grown man on football :up:

Stick to fawning over Ferguson. :lol:

:lol: throw a "Motherfucker!" on the end of that for me.

or turn it into a shieeeeeeeeeeeet

Either works for me or you could put 'yafucka' to integrate our new mate more into 'the Geordie way'. :D

If you can't see that Debuchy is a good player and Ben Arfa is a team player you may as well just stop watching football altogether.

I think CT is fair in his comments on Debuchy & HBA and on this occasion you're being unfair to CT

No one came out of last season well for whatever reason. Pardew wasnt solely to blame. The players bare some responsibility too.

I think CT is fair in his comments on Debuchy & HBA and on this occasion you're being unfair to CT

No one came out of last season well for whatever reason. Pardew wasnt solely to blame. The players bare some responsibility too.

The players threw the towel in at times last year.

The players threw the towel in at times last year.

The last 3 home games were a disgrace. Pardew didnt help by saying "we're safe" on 33 points but ffs, the players own self respect shouldve produced more effort than what was on show from April onwards. I could indulge in a huge bout of national stereotyping here but I will refrain bacause I'm a nice person :)

The last 3 home games were a disgrace. Pardew didnt help by saying "we're safe" on 33 points but ffs, the players own self respect shouldve produced more effort than what was on show from April onwards. I could indulge in a huge bout of national stereotyping here but I will refrain bacause I'm a nice person :)

They just hid when the going got tough v Liverpool, biggest disgrace of a game I've ever had the misfortune to see and that's saying something, the side that played Sunderland wasn't a bad side but they believed their own hype I'm afraid, in fact it was a bit like the Mackems who came up to put one over on us thinking they were far better than they were and got their arses handed to them on a plate in the 5-1 by NUFC players who were at it all game.

That was his main problem when on the field last year. Pardew had him playing like a wing back and more often than not he was getting the ball on the edge of our own box. Whereas in the 4-3-3 the season before he was getting the ball in the right areas and we saw the damage that he can do.

First half of last season despite Ba's goals it was pretty much the Ben Arfa show as in he was the only one of our attacking players that looked like doing something. You're right he does hold onto the ball too long at times, but that's simply due to how bad our movement is as a team. Harking back to the 4-3-3 he wasn't hogging the ball too long as the team was setup correctly.

New Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini could give debuts to summer signings Fernandinho, Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic.

Sergio Aguero has overcome a knee injury, but Matija Nastasic is out with an ankle problem.

Newcastle have fitness doubts over Davide Santon (hip), Steven Taylor (toe) and Jonas Gutierrez (hamstring).

The club's only new recruit, striker Loic Remy, is unavailable because of a calf strain.

MATCH PREVIEW

Manchester City may have introduced the word 'holistic' into the football lexicon earlier this summer, but it's not an approach that has caught on at Newcastle United.

Both clubs have brought silver-haired veterans into their management team but there the similarities end.

The savvy and serene Chilean Manuel Pellegrini has been tasked with bringing togetherness back to Manchester City after they lost their Premier League crown and the FA Cup final under the authoritarian and sometimes alienating stewardship of Roberto Mancini.

Newcastle's appointment of Joe Kinnear as director of football at the forefront of player acquisition was, and remains, hugely divisive.

Kinnear was never going to be a popular appointment with the fans after an ill-fated spell in charge of the club in 2008-09, but the lack of summer signings and confusion over his role alongside manager Alan Pardew has intensified the ire.

United's first three home games - against West Ham, Fulham and Hull - represent more inviting fixtures than this opening trip. Newcastle have never won at the Etihad and have a dismal return of two points out of a possible 27 there.

Pellegrini is not without his doubters, who point to his failure to win a trophy in nine seasons in Spain. That, though, overlooks the fact he took unfashionable Villarreal and Malaga into the Champions League either side of amassing a then-club record 96 points in his only season at Real Madrid. He can hardly be blamed for the fact it still wasn't enough to eclipse Barcelona!

City have spent bigger and better than last summer. Fernandinho adds athleticism and steel to midfield, Jesus Navas provides pace and width, Stevan Jovetic has quick feet and a quicker mind, and Alvaro Negredo allies strength and good technique with an excellent goal record.

That quartet bolster an already powerful squad. Newcastle will be merely the first of many clubs this season to take an envious look at City's team-sheet.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 13 Premier League meetings with Newcastle, winning 11 - including the last seven.

City have scored 30 goals during that run, conceding only eight.

Newcastle have never won a league game at the Etihad Stadium (D2, L7).

Manchester City

City kept an unrivalled 18 Premier League clean sheets in 2012-13 and conceded the fewest goals (34).

They were the only team to score in every home game last season.

Yaya Toure has scored three goals in his last three league games against Newcastle.

Newcastle

Newcastle have only won two of their 10 previous away games on the opening day of a Premier League season (W2, D4, L4).

The Magpies only scored one league goal from a corner in 2012-13. It was the worst record in the division.

Alan Pardew's side earned an unrivalled nine points courtesy of stoppage-time goals last term.

Lawro's Prediction

This should be a routine home win for Manchester City but it will also show their fans the quality of the players that Manuel Pellegrini has brought in, to add to the quality of players that were already there.

City have got more top players than any other team in the league and in Pellegrini they have a manager who is a wise old owl.

Newcastle's summer seemed to be more about stories off the pitch - Papiss Cisse refusing to wear the sponsor on his shirt, Joe Kinnear coming in as director of football and Mick Harford turning down a job as his assistant.

Kinnear was a strange appointment as director of football. From the outside looking in, no matter what the message is from the club, you think straight away that Magpies manager Alan Pardew is under pressure.

I could be wrong but I get the impression that Kinnear thinks he should still be manager.

One positive thing for Newcastle is the arrival of Loic Remy from QPR on loan - he is a decent striker and will get goals - to improve a department that was a bit of a problem for them at times last season.

Pardew has got plenty of good players of course, but I am also looking at them and wondering if he will keep his squad together between now and the end of the transfer window.

The club just seems in a state of flux. In 2011-12, they did fantastically well. Last year, they struggled but had lots of injuries to deal with. This year? Well, they have got enough quality in their squad to ensure they will not be anywhere near the relegation zone but I can still see them getting in a bit of a mess. If they don't start well, the pressure will be on Pardew and I think he deserves better than that.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23662898