Manchester City v Newcastle

McFaul

I'm not happy with the transfer window so far, but I think the wailing and gnashing of teeth over this game is a bit ott. We'll likely get beat, but we put in performances at Man u and Spurs last season that show we can sometimes turn up at top clubs and not be embarrassed.

So they beat us 4 nowt last time? Elliot, Obertan, Simpson, Perch, Gosling and Bigirimana played that day. Think we can put up a much better performance tonight.

1-1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already a must win game for Man City with Man U, Chelsea and Spurs all getting off to a winning start. Can see a 3 goal margin this evening, but if they do stutter in this game and we are able to take something from it, then it will give our guys great confidence for the following few games.

My only worry is that it will all but shut any slim chance we had of spending anything this window.

There's no expectation of us getting anything tonight so the pressures off which I suppose could work in our favour.

We should have a pretty strong team out that for me shoudl be capable of at least giving a game to anyone in the league. I still have the same doubts about Pardew though and preseason has only cemented my opinion that he doesn't really know how he wants us to play or if he does, he doesn't know how to get us to do it.

Rightly or wrongly there's a bit of a cloud over us at the moment but then again there was at the begining of the season when we finished fifth (which got off to a draw against Arsenal with one of the worst perfomances I've seen in years from both teams) so there's still the chance that if we can get a run of results we can lift off again this year. Don't see it starting tonight though!

Anything less then 4 goals conceeded and I'll be happy. :lol:

We need a result that wont damage the rest of the season really. Man City are a world apart from Newcastle at the moment - in most respects, their team & management set up is built to win the league ours is built to stay in it.

I can't see us being able to fend off City unless they have an off day & even if they do have an off day they've got quality to make up for it.

I'm hoping they're still learning how to play with the new lads/ aren't up to full speed like. We'll lose this regardless but I can see it being 2-0 to Man City tbh, just hope we look somewhat decent and are actually involved in the game get some decent shots and some decent phases of play so that way there are positives.

We're on a hiding to nothing basically but we have players that can turn a game in a flash.

Ben Arfa needs a big season. On his day he's up there with the very best in world football, his injuries were the main cause of our dip last season in my humblest.. If we get stuck in and give him the ball in the right areas there's every chance of getting a result tonight.

I'm tense already..

City v United - Premier League era:

2012/13 Lost 0-4
2011/12 Lost 1-3 Gosling
2010/11 Lost 1-2 Gutierrez
2008/09 Lost 1-2 Carroll
2007/08 Lost 1-3 Martins

2006/07 Drew 0-0
2005/06 Lost 0-3
2004/05 Drew 1-1 Shearer
2003/04 Lost 0-1
2002/03 Lost 0-1*

2000/01 Won 1-0 Shearer*
1995/96 Drew 3-3 Albert 2, Asprilla*
1994/95 Drew 0-0*

1993/94 Lost 1-2 Sellars*
1993/94 Drew 1-1 Jeffrey (LC)*

(*At Maine Road - all others at CoM/Etihad Stadium)

:glare:

Had a dream about this game last night. Ben Arfa scored a wonder goal to take us one up, Navas equalised before Shola Ameobi scored a last minute winner!

Get that on at the bookies! ha

The Magpies were allocated 1,700 places and sold just under 1,500 of them, while City also failed to sell out - and announced that child and OAP season ticket cards could be used by adults for the game.

:huh:

He is decimating our away support and this is evidence of it, not a vindication of his policy. You keep making things difficult for supporters to get tickets by member schemes, ST only and constantly asking for reduced allocations then people lose heart trying or just assume they've no chance of getting one and don't bother. Also, when you knew in the past of a ground where it was easy to get in with a big away support then you'd be up for it which explains the support we'd get at places like Wimbledon at Selhurst Park among others, whereas knowing you'll be stuck in a corner with just a 1000 others might mean you aren't as enthusiastic.

Genuinely not looking forward to tonight. If I wasn't staying at a mates who will definitely be watching, I might have gone out.

This was my feeling this morning, but the closer we're getting to kick off the more I seem to be looking forward to this.

I think this may be more due to the fact that it could potentially kick JFK in the arse to get some players and start some movement in the transfer window. Nevertheless, It's good that the season is back!!

Things I'd like to see from this game (apart from points).

Some of Debuchys much heralded class.

Ben Arfa showing he can play for the team more than himself.

Cabaye looking like the Cabaye of two seasons a go.

Sissoko showing that Chrlsea game potential.

Tiote back to his John Smiths best.

Cisse being fed.

They're my markets to see if we've recovered / learnt from last year.

Any post match sensible comments on these points will be welcomed. :)