Are you middle class?

Howmanheyman

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his chidren will be proper middle class. There will always be 'something of the night' about Chez. ;)

If I did a cursory list I'd say:

Middle Class Pimms drinking shithouses - Chez, Renton, Happy Face, Meenzer, Gemmill, Gloom, Ant, Fish..

Working class steady boys - Monkey, Ne6, Ne5, CT, ewerk, JawD, Stevie, Paddock lad, Hermoine, Jill, Catmag. J69..

You'll often find on here subconsciously on some topics the above take sides accordingly. :lol:

It's also clear the 2nd group would 'have' the first group. ;)

Speaking of middle class, where in Surrey do your parents live? My sis moved to Oxted then Godstone, fuck me the snooty cunts in the bars round there are nobodies business. Do you hail from Surrey Parky?

If you've had to work hard for it then you're certainly not middle class.

Hmmm. Not sure on that one mate.

You can definitely move up and down the class ladder.

I come from a working class background, was homeless at 15, in the army at 16 then left at 18, went to uni pretty much off my own back, worked like a bastard for years but have been quite successful as a result. I'd be categorised as middle class, no one would say working class. If you earn more than 28k you're no longer working class by the gvts stupid stats are you?

I'm definitely not working class anymore and in some respects I'm glad and in others fucked off. Living in middle class enclaves has taught me that generally the middle class are very lonely, unhappy and pissed off with those above and below. If you live in a working class street you know your neighbours, have a laugh and some fights etc. Here you don't even know your fucking neighbours.

To finish with a rant, this is the UK's fucking shitty culture to even have a class system, countries without one have much happier citizens (Australia, Canada for example). Sure some people are richer than others but a blokes a bloke. Look up Aussie battler to see how its even been turned on its head in aus. I hate this class system bullshit.

Edited by scoobos

Class is about social relations, it's not about credit cards or mortgages or accents or daft hats.

If you have to sell your labour power to survive then you are working class. If on the other hand you own capital and can hire labour power then you are middle class.

There are obviously grey areas where some people might not own capital but have a certain role within society that sets them apart from the working class (eg teachers) but class still exists, no matter how much the neoliberals say otherwise.

How many generations does it last then? Does my dad pass his working class background on to me? Not sure he does, I don't consider myself working class at all.

I watched that Paul O'Grady thing on the working class last night. He reckons they still exist, I thought he sounded like a sentimental old queen hankering after some bygone era. Social mobility exists in this country which renders the old concepts of class redundant. The old class system started to die with the end of the empire and was fully dead by the end of the miners strike.

I wish I believed that. Anyone north of Watford is working class to these past 3 governments. Call centres, phone shops, supermarkets and coffee shops are the new coal face. Zero hour contracts etc.

Class is about social relations, it's not about credit cards or mortgages or accents or daft hats.

If you have to sell your labour power to survive then you are working class. If on the other hand you own capital and can hire labour power then you are middle class.

There are obviously grey areas where some people might not own capital but have a certain role within society that sets them apart from the working class (eg teachers) but class still exists, no matter how much the neoliberals say otherwise.

Agree with most of that.

I think his chidren will be proper middle class. There will always be 'something of the night' about Chez. ;)

If I did a cursory list I'd say:

Middle Class Pimms drinking shithouses - Chez, Renton, Happy Face, Meenzer, Gemmill, Gloom, Ant, Fish..

Working class steady boys - Monkey, Ne6, Ne5, CT, ewerk, JawD, Stevie, Paddock lad, Hermoine, Jill, Catmag. J69..

You'll often find on here subconsciously on some topics the above take sides accordingly. :lol:

It's also clear the 2nd group would 'have' the first group. ;)

I never think about what class i am, but I think I had a pretty decent upbringing (not well off by any stretch, but definitely given advantages others weren't) and have benefited from this in my career. I mean I see genuine middle class in some of the people at work and I know I'm not one of them, but I'm not a pleb either. I guess what I'm trying to say is whatever mingers.

:lol:

Not sure where he get's my middle class credentials from.

My mam worked in pubs, my dad digging up roads and then in a taxi. Worked all their life, but we lived in a council house on family support. When I got new clothes it was with provident vouchers. I remember my mam hiding us and telling me to be quiet to avoid some debt collector or other. For people that know South Shields it was just up Lincoln Road off Horsely Hill, proper radgie village.

Free education (including university - which I could never have done in this day and age) has got me into a canny enough job. Doesn't pay that much, just enough that my only debt is my mortgage and my (interest free) season ticket credit card. I can save a bit each month, but only enough to get wiped out when i need a new car every 5 years or so.

My circle of friends are pretty much the same as when I left school, generally tradesmen who went on YTS schemes and the odd physicist or musician. I don't go to the theatre or ballet or owt, just (pop) gigs and the pictures. I don't holiday in the south of France or caravan, i do the packages in Greece, the theme parks in Florida or tents.

I'm staunchly left wing/liberal. Strong supporter of and member in the union.

Not sure when i have given the impression of middle class tendencies.

I lived on King George Road though and would definitely have thumbed my nose at the above Horsley Hill dweller.

Swish. That's true of 99% of people in South Shields though...people from Ashgrove Avenue could feel superior when they walked through Horsely Hill.

I'm only messing. I would just have been terrified of you really. I once got sweaty bettied on the metro by a "tough boy". He must have chewed a whole five rider up - there was loads of it - and flung it at me as he was jumping off at Bede.

Splashed all over me Barbour. :lol: I wish I was joking.

Here you go - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

According to that I'm Established Middle Class :lol:

according to that, with adjustments made based on my parents since I still live with them, I am established middle class.

If I take my parents out of the equation I'm in the emergent service workers class, this is having changed nothing but the finances part of it.

Parky thinks Happy Face is middle class as he can't comprehend someone being working class and highly intelligent. As much as I love Parky, he's a terrible snob really.

I think of Parky as Dicky Greenleaf on the Talented Mr Ripley.