Syria

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Ant - please can we introduce a three strikes and you're banned policy for anyone who uses the MSM acronym? ta

BBC: reporting this morning as fact that it was chlorine gas delivered by a missile into the roof of a building.

Robert Fisk in the independant: doctor in the hospital said the foaming mouths filmed was due to oxygen deprivation caused by conventional shelling. 

Who's right Gloom? 

Seriously, I have no idea. Am not suggesting conspiracy or false flag or any of that nonsense by the folk on the ground, I just don't know who to trust because reputable journalists and agencies are filing copy that contradicts each other. That'll be the MSM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

What is the point in having a "UN", or the Convention against chemical weapons, if we're simply not going to pay any attention to them? I assume you support the wholesale disbanding of both institutions then? Or do their rules not apply to us, making them instead an tool by which powerful nations keep smaller ones in check?

I can't get my head around why so many people think it's acceptable to just fly off the handle like this in response to such things. We are being led by the least competent leaders any of us have ever seen, and we'll criticise them left and right about everything, right up until the opportunity to go and blow up other countries is on the table, and then they have our full, unquestioning, compliant backing.

The Russians have used their UN veto to block sanctions on Syria for past chemical attacks. They blocked a proper investigation into the Douma attack. They're pretty much toothless on this issue while Russia are protecting Assad.

The UK wouldn't have launched airstrikes without the USA doing the same, it doesn't mean that we did it because the US told us to do so.

So what exactly do you think should have happened? 

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

BBC: reporting this morning as fact that it was chlorine gas delivered by a missile into the roof of a building.

Robert Fisk in the independant: doctor in the hospital said the foaming mouths filmed was due to oxygen deprivation caused by conventional shelling. 

Who's right Gloom? 

Seriously, I have no idea. Am not suggesting conspiracy or false flag or any of that nonsense by the folk on the ground, I just don't know who to trust because reputable journalists and agencies are filing copy that contradicts each other. That'll be the MSM. 

Hmmmm, do we believe the BBC or the guy who backed Bin Laden. :scratchchin: 

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The Russians have used their UN veto to block sanctions on Syria for past chemical attacks. They blocked a proper investigation into the Douma attack. They're pretty much toothless on this issue while Russia are protecting Assad.

The UK wouldn't have launched airstrikes without the USA doing the same, it doesn't mean that we did it because the US told us to do so.

So what exactly do you think should have happened? 

I think we should have gone through the proper channels and, if the Russians obstructed the process the whole way, allowed that to speak for itself as far as the international community is concerned.

7 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

The MSM agree with each other - bad.

The MSM contradict each other - bad.

Tough crowd. :lol:

Like the post-match Trent posse discussing NUFC tbh B)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Who's right Gloom? 

Doesn’t that contradict the whole corporate MSM conspiracy bullshit? Different, ahem, mainstream media outlets quoting a range of different sources? It’s the sources who are providing the conflicting lines.

I’d be inclined to believe the beeb. They only report something as fact if it is verified  by multiple sources.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Fisk spoke to one doctor who wasn't there that night on a trip organised by the Syrian authorities. Chances are the doctor is lying/wrong.

Agreed. That's how it comes across the article too. But that's precisely why it should never have seen the light of day in an allegedly reputable publication. That's verging on fake news iyam. Twitter was alive with every fuck nut on the planet quoting Fisk' s piece this morning. 

The BBC footage was filmed by some Ron Burgandy fucker from CBS. Would you have taken the word of these locals?..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-middle-east-43796356/syria-war-inside-douma-eastern-ghouta-bombed-city-of-the-chemical-attack

Between the two stories there's little to go on and the yank doesn't really question the veracity of what he's being shown. They're just broadcasting "stuff" because they've got airtime to fill. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Doesn’t that contradict the whole corporate MSM conspiracy bullshit? Different, ahem, mainstream media outlets quoting a range of different sources? It’s the sources who are providing the conflicting lines.

I’d be inclined to believe the beeb. They only report something as fact if it is verified  by multiple sources.

I did state that am not accusing anyone of conspiracy. Am accusing them of filling airtime and column inches with un verifiable guff and just confusing the fuck out of people. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

Not that I particularly want to see the victim of a chemical weapons attack but what's the point in showing footage of a bloke looking at blanked out footage? :lol:

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I did state that am not accusing anyone of conspiracy. Am accusing them of filling airtime and column inches with un verifiable guff and just confusing the fuck out of people. 

that was aimed more at rayvin tbh.  

in my experience, outlets like the beeb report facts and are trustworthy sources. that goes for most dreaded "MSM' outlets - for them, it's not about being first, it's about accuracy. there's nothing newspapers editors hate more, or reporters fear more, than issuing corrections. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

that was aimed more at rayvin tbh.  

in my experience, outlets like the beeb report facts and are trustworthy sources. that goes for most dreaded "MSM' outlets - for them, it's not about being first, it's about accuracy. there's nothing newspapers editors hate more, or reporters fear more, than issuing corrections. 

Re: the BBC, I don't think they lie or are inaccurate. I just don't think they report on everything that they should.

Edited by Rayvin

I developed this impression of them when they buried a story about a graphics design company modifying footage  of UK forces carrying out some manner of unacceptable action in the Iraq war. I'll try and find a reference to it (I think it was discussed on here at the time). Difficult when the main papers don't carry it though...

It's not exactly evidence of widespread bias, but a friend of mine sent me this the other day:

https://theintercept.com/2015/10/26/bbc-protects-uks-close-ally-saudi-arabia-with-incredibly-dishonest-and-biased-editing/

I think it is true but I very much doubt whether it was a factor in deciding to take part in airstrikes.

It does seem strange though that he's allowed to continue in his role while his wife is PM.