95% certainty that humans are the "dominant cause" of climate change

Happy Face

I’ve got a Volvo with a diesel engine that is so clean I don’t pay road tax even though the car is seven years old. I have a van for work though and it’s got a huge 2.3 turbo 8 cylinder diesel motherfucker. I work for a nationwide facilities provider who really need to get their fuckin act together :cuppa: 

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Way I see it, there'll be one kid born who'll come up with an idea to fix the planet, or come up with a way to organise the people into eating the rich.

Aye but it’s definitely not going to be your kid, Dave.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

every little helps. the more of us that do those things, the more it changes industries, the more it becomes part of the conversation, the more the chance the policymakers pay attention. 

we also have to support pressure groups such as just stop oil, however annoying they might be 

The amount of abuse Just Stop oil get just shows where the mentality of the majority of the country is.

'WelL wHat HapPenS if An AMbuLanCe NeEds To gEt TrOugH'

People technically assaulting them and people calling the wankers heros for doing so.

Meanwhile large diversions because of works done to motorways, roads are fucked because of lack of maintenance , roads are blocked because of too many cars etc.

Yet, when petrol prices rocketed cars did a go slow protest on the M25 and they were applauded.  It's fucking mental.

Then you have shit like the governemnt bringing back neonicotinoids, BUT OI! You, in your 2m x 2m garden, don't you DARE PUT FAKE GRASS DOWN! IT KILLS THE BEES! 

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Aye, but still, don't put fake grass down.

I totally agree, but, I don't think Glenda having a 4m2 garden plot with it down due to her bad arthurites is going to do much harm compared to Gary down the road who's block paved his whole front garden to get his 3 cars on.

Just Stop Oil don't help themselves mind. I get trying to get maximum exposure but if you're gonna set about trying to knack normal people's days out, they're not gonna like it.

They should wait outside Environment Minister Therese Coffey's house and every time the front door opens, turn her into an Oompah Loompah with orange powder. That's how you get the public onside. Play the Oompah Loompah song as you're doing it.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I totally agree, but, I don't think Glenda having a 4m2 garden plot with it down due to her bad arthurites is going to do much harm compared to Gary down the road who's block paved his whole front garden to get his 3 cars on.

Oh aye, don't get me wrong. Glenda is ill-advised, Gary is a cunt. :good: 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye but it’s definitely not going to be your kid, Dave.

This one? No chance. He's a great kid, but there's not a hint of precocious genius there, bless him. Saying that though, he has a basic understanding of how animals evolve over generations to adapt to their environment.

"Woolly mammoths got too hot so they turned into Elephants."

Parenting? Completed it mate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My BIL has done a degree in Marine Biology and a masters in something else Environmental.  He works for the EA and he is extremely environmentally aware,

He is one of the worse people I know for cutting certain things. They have 3 cars between two of them.  The drive a mile to the park sometimes as my nephew moans he doesn't like walking.  He says you can't have a meal without eating meat.  Etc etc.

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Anyway, my courtesy car hasn't arrived yet so I am officially a bus and metro wanker today. Fucking sucks even in a metropolitan area. 

I live a less than 10 minutes walk from a metro, use it to go into the office 2 or 3 times a week. Often only stay in for two stops to get sone extra steps in, although even if I didn’t it would only be 3. And it gets on my tits due to how poor the service is. You then have the added bonus if it being charva central due to it being so easy to ride it without paying. I appreciate loads of people don’t bother paying (can’t say I blame them) but you’d stop most of the anti-social behaviour if you more or less needed a ticket / pass to use it. If that’s my experience it’s no wonder people use a car if they can 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

The amount of abuse Just Stop oil get just shows where the mentality of the majority of the country is.

'WelL wHat HapPenS if An AMbuLanCe NeEds To gEt TrOugH'

People technically assaulting them and people calling the wankers heros for doing so.

Meanwhile large diversions because of works done to motorways, roads are fucked because of lack of maintenance , roads are blocked because of too many cars etc.

Yet, when petrol prices rocketed cars did a go slow protest on the M25 and they were applauded.  It's fucking mental.

Then you have shit like the governemnt bringing back neonicotinoids, BUT OI! You, in your 2m x 2m garden, don't you DARE PUT FAKE GRASS DOWN! IT KILLS THE BEES! 

You basically have to just about kill someone to get a custodial sentence atm. There was a case in the local rag recently where a bloke kicked his partner in the head and strangled her until she passed out. He got a community order and suspended sentence. Meanwhile the Just Stop Oil protestors are getting 3 years in prison. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I live a less than 10 minutes walk from a metro, use it to go into the office 2 or 3 times a week. Often only stay in for two stops to get sone extra steps in, although even if I didn’t it would only be 3. And it gets on my tits due to how poor the service is. You then have the added bonus if it being charva central due to it being so early to ride it without paying. I appreciate loads of people don’t bother paying (can’t say I blame them) but you’d stop most of the anti-social behaviour if you more or less needed a ticket / pass to use it. If that’s my experience it’s no wonder people use a car if they can 

Aye, you know I fully agree. I'm in office today and will be returning your way 'cos I can't face the other way any time from noon onwards. But today I'm also having to manage kid pick ups, drop offs (holiday club things). Saturday I took a bus to go shopping. Tbf that worked out okay but in the past I've been waiting an hour for a fucking bus. We bought into the US style of life which relies on an automobile and it's just hard to go back now. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alex said:

You basically have to just about kill someone to get a custodial sentence atm. There was a case in the local rag recently where a bloke kicked his partner in the head and struggled her until she passed out. He got a community order and suspended sentence. Meanwhile the Just Stop Oil protestors are getting 3 years in prison. 

Madness init. Defies total common sense and logic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

This one? No chance. He's a great kid, but there's not a hint of precocious genius there, bless him. Saying that though, he has a basic understanding of how animals evolve over generations to adapt to their environment.

"Woolly mammoths got too hot so they turned into Elephants."

Parenting? Completed it mate.

They didn't, parenting fail.

• 6 months later...

Had some rare spare time and went for quite a long walk on Saturday afternoon, from Tynemouth to St Mary's light house and back again. It was noticeable how wet the land was, most the grass at the moment resembles marsh land and there are vast areas of waterlogged fields. These temporary lakes have been there for months now its been so wet. 

Anyway, I had timed it so it was high tide on the way back. Not a record breaking high tide by any means (actually 20 cm higher the next day), but higher than usual. I've lived on this coast line all my life, but have never seen it like Saturday. When I was a kid Long Sands was always walkable at high tide. About 5 years ago, I noticed at one high tide that the beach was bisected, but still passable. On Saturday the beach had completely disappeared. Additionally, the north pier of Cullercoats had all but disappeared, and at Whitley waves were crashing over the promenade and actually hitting the main road, at least 20m above sea level.

Clearly there was quite a large swell favouring this, and also I'm thanking all the storms this year has actually removed a fair bit of sand, so the beach might be lower than usual, particularly the North end. But is it possible sea levels have also risen as well? A quick Google says it has risen about 10cm since 1993, which, in the right conditions, appears to make a huge difference, and this will only accelerate from now on.

Waves on Whitley Bay Promenade.

image.png.d5853b96429040f939b9987ec48e5e33.png

From the road.

image.thumb.png.5b6948dc017322c84bafca5c97c78728.png

Cullercoats Bay.

image.png.e52cb6c86ffba19d8d0c9b18fea39c80.png

Tynemouth "Non-sands"

image.thumb.png.843b61e82cd7c7bd308a9d9040bda8dc.png

In all seriousness, we're fucked. If some knight in shining armour was going to come to the rescue, they'd have done it by now. More likely the billionaires fuck off and live in some luxury hotel spacestation and we all shrivel up and die in the heat/drown. 

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

Had some rare spare time and went for quite a long walk on Saturday afternoon, from Tynemouth to St Mary's light house and back again. It was noticeable how wet the land was, most the grass at the moment resembles marsh land and there are vast areas of waterlogged fields. These temporary lakes have been there for months now its been so wet. 

Anyway, I had timed it so it was high tide on the way back. Not a record breaking high tide by any means (actually 20 cm higher the next day), but higher than usual. I've lived on this coast line all my life, but have never seen it like Saturday. When I was a kid Long Sands was always walkable at high tide. About 5 years ago, I noticed at one high tide that the beach was bisected, but still passable. On Saturday the beach had completely disappeared. Additionally, the north pier of Cullercoats had all but disappeared, and at Whitley waves were crashing over the promenade and actually hitting the main road, at least 20m above sea level.

Clearly there was quite a large swell favouring this, and also I'm thanking all the storms this year has actually removed a fair bit of sand, so the beach might be lower than usual, particularly the North end. But is it possible sea levels have also risen as well? A quick Google says it has risen about 10cm since 1993, which, in the right conditions, appears to make a huge difference, and this will only accelerate from now on.

Waves on Whitley Bay Promenade.

image.png.d5853b96429040f939b9987ec48e5e33.png

From the road.

image.thumb.png.5b6948dc017322c84bafca5c97c78728.png

Cullercoats Bay.

image.png.e52cb6c86ffba19d8d0c9b18fea39c80.png

Tynemouth "Non-sands"

image.thumb.png.843b61e82cd7c7bd308a9d9040bda8dc.png

reminds of the the "come and see our beautiful beaches" line from the "We put the sun in Sunlan" video 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

In all seriousness, we're fucked. If some knight in shining armour was going to come to the rescue, they'd have done it by now. More likely the billionaires fuck off and live in some luxury hotel spacestation and we all shrivel up and die in the heat/drown. 

We aren’t fucked, all your kids are.

• Like 3