Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

'The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club,'

'I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

'There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

'I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that.

'He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened - but I don’t know what.'

Seems that way. Guti did well for us and always put in so unless something has been lost in translation that is really poor from Pardew.

Edit: Apparently Pards told Guti he wouldn't be playing anymore during the Man City game from the touchline because he's getting on a bit. Strange timing but there you go.

Edited by toonotl

...because Pardew's been told by his bosses that Guti can't play any more.

He's not going to tell his players that though. It's a well known managerial approach to sacrifice your darlings to minimise complacency amongst the ranks.

Obertan has featured this season, and nobody would ever play him ahead of Jonas. It is clearly the pay-rise issue at work here and Pardew wasn't enough of a man to tell Jonas that to his face (neither was anyone else at the club - anyone remember how Lovenkrands was told we were releasing him at the end of his contract when we went down?) which is not a surprise.

Doesn't really matter which reason it is. What's important is the club.

If Pardew thinks he's on too big wages for someone who may never play a game all season then get rid.

If it's just because he's past it get rid.

Thanks for your service but I prefer a more ruthless attitude to these millionaire players rather than rewarding them with a big contract for being a canny lad.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this squad will continue to improve as it has done for several years now.

If Ashleys in bullish mood what with Debenhams and big profits then it wouldn't surprise me if he sneaked a few big signings in.