Nothing to see here version 2.0

The Fish

Is this Cabella lad just another talented Frenchie who is available and comparatively cheap?

Most of our signings in the last 3 years have struck me as being of that nature, with Pardew getting the job of piecing them together somehow.

Without Europe this season he seems to have sussed what to do with who and we've had some very good performances, with Cabaye at the heart of most of them. Him leaving would leave a huge gap, but wee Vurnon as many have mentioned is looking more and more the part. If there is indeed a "transfer policy" and I'm not giving enough credit to Graham Carr & co, then perhaps we can see that Cabaye's replacement ("if and when" ;) ) is already here and has had a season and a half to get used to the premier league? Or is that crediting the club with too much common sense?....

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this Cabella lad just another talented Frenchie who is available and comparatively cheap?

Most of our signings in the last 3 years have struck me as being of that nature, with Pardew getting the job of piecing them together somehow.

Without Europe this season he seems to have sussed what to do with who and we've had some very good performances, with Cabaye at the heart of most of them. Him leaving would leave a huge gap, but wee Vurnon as many have mentioned is looking more and more the part. If there is indeed a "transfer policy" and I'm not giving enough credit to Graham Carr & co, then perhaps we can see that Cabaye's replacement ("if and when" ;) ) is already here and has had a season and a half to get used to the premier league? Or is that crediting the club with too much common sense?....

To be honest, I don't think Cabella is the same kind of player as Cabaye. I think he might be nearer to Ben Arfa. With that said, maybe we're going to change our approach and have flair players running around behind the forwards.

I certainly hope that isnt the plan. Because while Anita is coming along nicely, he's nowhere near Cabaye's level at the moment. Seems a different type of player too.

:lol:

I read the other day, but in no means from a reliable source, that Cabaye had a buyout option in his contract which comes into effect this summer at roughly £6m. If that was true, we're better off getting rid now.

EUR26mil apparently. About £21.5m.

So we'll get Cabella for about £12m, and then the other £10m will disappear. If we get the other £10m to spend then it's about as good as could be expected. If not, then we've taken a step back.

EUR26mil apparently. About £21.5m.

So we'll get Cabella for about £12m, and then the other £10m will disappear. If we get the other £10m to spend then it's about as good as could be expected. If not, then we've taken a step back.

Unfortunately it will be a step back regardless of what money we get.

Players like him are rare enough. Us having a player like that is a once every ten years or so job.

Trying to think of the last departure that I would describe as comparable.

Players like him are rare enough. Us having a player like that is a once every ten years or so job.

That's a fair point like... maybe in terms of significance someone like Andy Cole? We don't tend to sell good players really. Only shite ones, the good ones have tended to retire with us/stay past their best.

Andy Carroll on the last day of the transfer window?

Bellamy, Ginola, Ferdinand sure there will be more.