The Unsigned

JonTheMag

Was thinking today about the plethora of players we've been linked to over the last 2-3 years that we ended up not signing. I'm not talking about every speculation, but the ones we were in with a genuine shot for, may even have gotten our hopes up for, only to be dashed at the end. Thought it would be interesting to look at where they are now, post players I've missed!

Modibo Maiga - Was set to join us in January of 2012, but failed a medical. We ended up with Cisse instead, and Maiga has scored four goals in 20 matches for the Hammers.

Erik Pieters - Seemed to be certain to sign in the summer of 2012, even attending our first match of the season against Spurs. Since that move fell through, he injured himself for three months by punching a window and then signed for Stoke last summer. Has made 13 appearances for Stoke, no idea if he's been any good.

Darren Bent - Bent's free transfer this past summer was allegedly scrapped by Joe Kinnear's unprofessional meeting with him and his reps. Has scored a modest 3 in 13 since signing for Fulham, but I feel it's hard to see where he would've fit in our current system.

Douglas - We were linked with Douglas for a few consecutive transfer windows, only for an agreed free transfer to be called off by JFK this summer. He joined Dinamo Moscow and has made 11 appearances, and no one seems to have any clue if he's been good or not. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Bafetimbi Gomis - Ended up not signing him after a whirlwind of allegations from owners, agents, players, etc., all seemed to contradict why it didn't go through. He's scored 5 in 13 appearances and we've been tipped to go back in for him in the January transfer window.

Any others you can think of? I'm not counting the likes of Aubameyang as we never really stood a chance of signing him any way, at least in my opinion.

Gervinho

dodged a bullet there.

modric was another. iirc we were linked with him the season we ended up with nach gonzales, milner flogged, keegan walking and relegation. what a belter that one was.

Gervinho has done well since going to Roma, working with a manager who knows how to get the best out of him.

Dont think he was suited to this league. His decision making was absolutely torrid.

Gervinho has done well since going to Roma, working with a manager who knows how to get the best out of him.

i had no idea about that. he looked dreadful for the gooners tbf

About 87 or 88 the club brought out a newspaper called "United". It only last 3 issues because it was shit and no one bought it, but one of the headlines was, and I shit you not, "NO GUARANTEES ABOUT MARADONA BUT......"

About 87 or 88 the club brought out a newspaper called "United". It only last 3 issues because it was shit and no one bought it, but one of the headlines was, and I shit you not, "NO GUARANTEES ABOUT MARADONA BUT......"

:lol:

Remember the paper, yes it was shit.