Politics

Christmas Tree

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

These people know what they're talking about. Now that we're out of the EU what is stopping us from capping the price paid for gas from UK sources and restricting how much of that gas can be sold to other countries? 50% of the gas used in the UK comes from domestic production yet apparently the price paid for it is tied to the global market.

There are solutions there to help if only the government weren't afraid of annoying gas and oil producers.

We've got fuck all storage, it was decommissioned by Centrica to reduce maintenance costs and thus protect/improve dividends, with government approval/agreement (Liz Truss specifically the minister in question).

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 2

I understand that, my point about restricting exports was more about us putting a price cap in place and preventing producers immediately deciding to sell their gas to other countries rather than the UK.

7 hours ago, ewerk said:

I understand that, my point about restricting exports was more about us putting a price cap in place and preventing producers immediately deciding to sell their gas to other countries rather than the UK.

Storage is the issue, it comes out of the ground and you use it, if you have too much you store it or sell it, when you haven’t enough and none in storage you have to buy it back, if of course you have no storage you have to sell a lot and then also buy back a lot.

Ofgem did a report in late 90’s which stated, because of the storage we had we were all but immune to international price rises, oops !!!

• Like 1

We need complete reform in the energy sector. The starting point is to bin off the standing charge and only bill for usage. There is zero justification for it, people WILL use energy.

8 hours ago, Craig said:

We need complete reform in the energy sector. The starting point is to bin off the standing charge and only bill for usage. There is zero justification for it, people WILL use energy.

The standing charge is fine IF it was levied as it used to be, I.e. the maintenance cost of the meter and supply infrastructure. But it's been changed and now part of the standing charge is to recover costs of failed energy companies, that why it has become a part of the price hike, it's basically not a standing charge any more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

The standing charge is fine IF it was levied as it used to be, I.e. the maintenance cost of the meter and supply infrastructure. But it's been changed and now part of the standing charge is to recover costs of failed energy companies, that why it has become a part of the price hike, it's basically not a standing charge any more.

Totally agree. It's lost its intended purpose and has now become a means to recover costs of failed companies as you point out. How in any shape or form is that the consumer's fault? Utter cunts.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Truss is pretty much Johnson minus any charisma. Fingers crossed she goes for an early GE.

I think that’s the best we can hope for. Sadly I doubt it’ll come to it though. The next 2 years is going to be another whole world of pain. 

image.thumb.png.e2fd5e6d6f4fbcdebce72eb4a7bae0ae.png

Light blue is what 2019 Tory voters thought of Truss on 3rd August, dark blue is what they thought by the 31st.

Looks like the new PM bounce in the polls might not happen for her. 

Apparently Sunak's ratings have dropped off far less, which suggests Tory voters who voted for Truss already know that they picked the wrong horse and she hasn't even fucking moved in to No 10 yet. Great. :lol:

• Like 2

I love the way the world has already decided Truss has won, I’ll be amazed if she hasn’t but the reaction in the media if Sunak somehow wins this would be hilarious if the whole thing wasn’t so fucking tragic