The Tories are going to try to take us out of the European Union by the looks of it, possibly by getting in to bed with UKIP. Dont know enough technically about it to properly debate the ins and outs of it, just to say that its a massive call by them, possibly the biggest since the end of the war. Going into it was pretty much mereley a trade agreement. Europe now has the casting vote above us on legal matters, which is what appears to piss the likes of UKIP off. I think theyve a chance of getting it through a referendum, depending what question is asked and to what extent the proposed pull back is. Will the City all piss off elsewhere? they didnt when we refused to join the euro, infact they boomed artificially for a few years beyond that.

Like you I dont know enough of the ins and outs and obviously I would have thought the likes of Chez and Parky would be more pro Europe.

However it seems to me that there is a growing split anyway with the majority wanting to head off in a different direction to us. We should probably be all in or all out as it seems there isnt a great deal of point as we go forward being the outcast getting dragged along but having no say.

Not sure Ive heard a really good argument for or against the trade in a post European environment, however Im sure we are a massive market for Europe so I would have thought restrictions against us would be self harming.

As for UKIP I dont think they have any politicians so a partnership seems unlikely. More likely that if the Government went anti europe then they would steal UKIPs only trick.

The only way I can see it happening is if its used as an election bribe.

I heard the leader of UKIP on the radio after they came 2nd in 3 bi-elections recently and he basically said the Tories could kiss his arse if they wanted to form a coalition with them as they were still seething following Cameron's 'closet racists' comments. Not that he'd be the first political leader to go back on his word.

Theres only two things you can't recover from in this country nowadays...being called either a racist or a paedophile. Cameron smeared UKIP badly with that one, but I dont buy Niggles protests either.

Just need to look at the haste in which the Lib Dems lifted their skirts for a good fucking from the tories. Got a funny feeling that it will be Labour needing someones support to form the next government anyway.

Theres only two things you can't recover from in this country nowadays...being called either a racist or a paedophile. Cameron smeared UKIP badly with that one, but I dont buy Niggles protests either.

Just need to look at the haste in which the Lib Dems lifted their skirts for a good fucking from the tories. Got a funny feeling that it will be Labour needing someones support to form the next government anyway.

He mentioned Labour being a possibility, what with them being the original Euro-Sceptic party back in the day. I don't think the Lib-Dems'll be much help to anyone as they'll have about 6 seats. UKIP could certainly be a nuisance to the Tories in particular, especially in they concentrate on key marginals.

The Tories are going to try to take us out of the European Union by the looks of it, possibly by getting in to bed with UKIP. Dont know enough technically about it to properly debate the ins and outs of it, just to say that its a massive call by them, possibly the biggest since the end of the war. Going into it was pretty much mereley a trade agreement. Europe now has the casting vote above us on legal matters, which is what appears to piss the likes of UKIP off. I think theyve a chance of getting it through a referendum, depending what question is asked and to what extent the proposed pull back is. Will the City all piss off elsewhere? they didnt when we refused to join the euro, infact they boomed artificially for a few years beyond that.

the dilemma for the tories is withdrawing from europe will win votes, most people in this country are eurosceptic and don't fully understand the benefits of being in the EU - this has only been exacerbated by the eurozone crisis, which again, most voters don't really understand.

but a lot of the businesses that fund the tory party will be up in arms if we pull out. quite a big call for cameron to make. i'm not confident a referendum would get us the right result - ie staying in the EU.

but a lot of the businesses that fund the tory party will be up in arms if we pull out. quite a big call for cameron to make. i'm not confident a referendum would get us the right result - ie staying in the EU.

I'm not so sure. The UK will never withdraw completely, they'll still remain within the EEA. From business' point of view, if they still have access to the European market with lower levels of regulation and employee rights then it could be a bonus for them.

That is possibly the best thing I've ever read :lol:

'My mate turned gay, and started listening to Erasure. He doesn't like to talk about it now'

The whole interview is mostly Erasure related :icon_lol:

http://www.mirror.co...d-tells-1534632

Put your kids on a sofa bed: Out-of-touch Tory tells separated dad his children don't need own bedroom

14 Jan 2013 23:00

The former banker suggested BBC Radio 5 Live caller did not deserve a spare bedroom for his three children to sleep in at weekends

OUT-of-touch Welfare Minister Lord Freud sparked fury today by telling a separated dad-of-three his children should share a sofa bed when they stay with him.

The former banker suggested BBC Radio 5 Live caller Graeme Gair did not deserve a spare bedroom to put them in as they only stay with him at weekends and during ­holidays.

He had gone on Victoria ­Derbyshire’s show to defend the Government’s “bedroom tax”, which will see council and housing ­association tenants docked benefits from April if they have a spare room.

More than 600,000 will be hit, with those who have one extra room losing 14% of their housing benefit. Those with two lose 25%.

The peer, who earned a fortune in the City before being hired to slash the benefits bill, was accused of not living in the real world by Labour’s Teresa Pearce.

She predicted that the short-sighted “bedroom tax” will end up costing money in the long run.

She said: “Dads like this who try to do the right thing face losing contact with their children as they grow up and want some privacy.

“The cost to society is ridiculous for the sake of a bit of support.”

And Ken Sanderson of campaign group Families Need Fathers said: ­“Children aren’t ‘visitors’, they are family members who require proper care and support.

“If the Government is serious about putting family life at the centre of policy making, they will review the impact of these changes as a matter of urgency.”

Lord Freud also suggested that another caller, Janine Moxon, should take in a lodger if her 16-year-old son joins the Army so she could afford the benefit cut.

But she hit back: “That’s against the rules of my housing association.”

Truly in it together.

:lol:

article-2246192-1673A75D000005DC-232_306x507.jpg

More on the current in out stances here.

http://www.dailymail...uence-laws.html

Should get out while we can. 70% of UK law is now superceded by EU law made by anonymous apparatchinks somewhere in Burssels at a rate of 7,000 new pieces of legislation a year. The euro is fucked and half the countries in it bankcrupt. Get out!!!

http://www.mirror.co...d-tells-1534632

Truly in it together.

About to go to bed but I read a bit about this only recently.

Only a buffoon or a callous, calculating Tory cunt could've thought up this 'bedroom' tax on the poor. Words don't do justice to how I feel about these bastards to be honest. As has been said, this recession is the best opportunity these bastards have of getting their way with the poor and out of work for years. It's their best chance to get people so desperate they'll accept anything any employer will chuck at them. Heaven help the poor worker in this country should we ever leave Europe.

Should get out while we can. 70% of UK law is now superceded by EU law made by anonymous apparatchinks somewhere in Burssels at a rate of 7,000 new pieces of legislation a year. The euro is fucked and half the countries in it bankcrupt. Get out!!!

Can you give proof of this please?

Only a buffoon or a callous, calculating Tory cunt could've thought up this 'bedroom' tax on the poor. Words don't do justice to how I feel about these bastards to be honest. As has been said, this recession is the best opportunity these bastards have of getting their way with the poor and out of work for years. It's their best chance to get people so desperate they'll accept anything any employer will chuck at them. Heaven help the poor worker in this country should we ever leave Europe.

Wonder how this will affect my registered disabled mother who lives alone in the 3 bedroom family home and receives some assistance for the mortgage.

I guess she'll be forced to sell her home of decades and move into a shitty one room bedsit.

Lovely.

That's a massive concern for me like. Or even if they get there way and don't have to answer to Europe on Labour Laws.

You seem to be getting confused with the European court of human rights in Strasbourg which has little to do with the EU. Would you like us to withdraw from this? Surprised you of all people would rather trust the Tories with work legislation rather than the status quo as well, unless you are on a wind up.

good to see these austerity measures really working. another two years anyone? sure why not? the medicine isn't working, let's not bother changing it. let's increase the doseage. tory fuckwits.

UK deficit higher than expected

By Sarah O’Connor, Economics Correspondent

Britain was forced to borrow more than expected last month to plug the gap between spending and revenues as the government struggled to improve the public finances at a time of economic malaise.

The budget deficit was £15.4bn in December, more than the £14.8bn in the same month a year ago and a touch higher than City economists were expecting. Corporate tax receipts were roughly the same as last year, while government spending rose more than other government receipts such as income tax.“Government borrowing appears on course to be higher than planned for the current year, as austerity measures have failed to reduce government spending and weak economic growth has resulted in disappointing tax revenues,” said Chris Williamson, an economist at Markit, the data company.

“The danger is that the data add to the risk of the UK losing its AAA credit rating, a risk that will intensify significantly if Friday’s gross domestic product report shows the UK entering a new downturn.”

All three of the main rating agencies have put the UK’s top triple A sovereign credit rating on watch for a potential downgrade.

Over the financial year so far, government borrowing is about 20 per cent lower than at the same point a year ago, but this reflects the one-off transfer of the Royal Mail’s pension fund to the government books, which has flattered the figures.

After stripping out that effect, public borrowing is about 7 per cent higher than a year ago as the government’s plan to balance the books remains off track. The year-to-date figures looked a little better than last month, thanks to official revisions to previous months’ borrowing figures.

Last month, George Osborne said he would have to extend austerity measures by an extra two years to 2018 to close the structural current budget deficit. On the forecasts of the official fiscal watchdog, he will also miss his target to have public debt falling as a share of output by 2015. Last month, the level of public debt rose to 70.7 per cent of gross domestic product, up from 66 per cent a year earlier.

The Treasury said: “These figures underline what the chancellor said at the Autumn Statement: it’s taking time, but the economy is healing. The deficit has come down by a quarter since 2010 and more than a million private sector jobs have been created.”

Government current spending rose 5.4 per cent while current revenue rose 3.6 per cent, including a 2.4 per cent rise in income tax receipts and a 0.2 per cent rise in corporation tax receipts.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/10b9c6b8-647d-11e2-9711-00144feab49a.html

Record-breaking 30million Britons now in work:

Unemployment falls to 7.7% in 10th consecutive quarterly decline.

Rise in private sector jobs makes up for continuing cuts in public sector.

The number of people in work is at a record high of almost 30million.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics showed the total workforce across public and private sectors last year was 29.7million, the largest number since records began in 1971.

At the same time, unemployment dropped by 185,000, the biggest annual fall for more than a decade, to 2.49million. This is around the same level as when David Cameron entered Downing Street in May 2010.

The ONS also said the number of job vacancies has jumped to nearly 500,000, the largest since 2008, the year the recession began.

Part-time employment fell by 23,000, but this was offset by a 113,000 increase in the numbers employed full-time in the three months to November.