Politics

Christmas Tree

What isn't getting anywhere near enough focus in all of this is that he's been forced to resign for protecting a sex offender and installing them at the heart of govt and then lying to cover his arse. 

That all seems to have just been conveniently forgotten as he continues in the job for the next couple of months. Imagine someone starting a petition to keep a CEO in their job after they'd done something like that. 

I hope he pegs it shortly after he leaves office for no other reason than I'm fucking sick of hearing about him. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

What isn't getting anywhere near enough focus in all of this is that he's been forced to resign for protecting a sex offender and installing them at the heart of govt and then lying to cover his arse. 

That all seems to have just been conveniently forgotten as he continues in the job for the next couple of months. Imagine someone starting a petition to keep a CEO in their job after they'd done something like that. 

I hope he pegs it shortly after he leaves office for no other reason than I'm fucking sick of hearing about him. 

All the major news sources leading with Starmer instead and usually making direct comparisons with Johnson’s parties etc (without really attempting to explain the obvious differences). Bad enough but, as you say, the latter’s not even the reason Johnson got the push. Chris Pincher is still an MP too 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I was thinking this myself. With party gate it was the lying and the hypocrisy that was the main issue. With this it's because he is a fucking enabler of aexual assault. And he is still PM, he hasn't resigned. Quite unbelievable this is overlooked.

• Like 3

The tories are going to rip themselves apart, aren't they? There is no way they can reconcile all the nutters in that party together, despite Johnson having already expelled 90% of traditional one nation tories. Sunak in particular will be a target. You can't reconcile red and blue wall seats long-term, I've been one of many to point this out. The tories literally sold their soul to the devil by electing Johnson, and now must reap the consequences. I hope the threat is existential.

In contrast, it feels like Labour have already been through this somewhat with momentum. There is still the conundrum of uniting Islingistas, metro elites,  and red wallers, but this doesn't seem as insurmoutable to me. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They should put on some “ curry and a beer”events, just for shits and giggles :lol:

I would be surprised if that isn't happening in a lot of local labour groups right now. :)

They should leaflet bomb the local Conservative associations too. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Has he even resigned as leader of the conservatives? I don't recall him use that word once either orally or in writing. He has merely promised to step down at some point. 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I would say that the fact that they're holding a leadership election is evidence of his resignation. The one doesn't happen without the other. 

Yeah, but you know, Johnson. Normally people write a letter of resignation when they resign. His speech was just weird, that's been picked up by a lot of commentators.  Maybe Cummings is on to something.