Politics

Christmas Tree

Tory MP for Harrow East Bob Blackman, who is joint-executive secretary of the 1922 Committee, has said the threshold for support to enter the first round of the Conservative Party leadership race is likely to be 20.

He told Sky News: "The view is that candidates to get on the ballot paper should demonstrate a broad swathe of support amongst Conservative MPs.

"So we're looking at a proposer, a seconder and either 18 supporters or possibly more supporters in order to reduce that list.

He then says the "first ballot is likely to have a threshold of 10% of the votes, i.e. 36 MPs, supporting a candidate for them to go through to the second ballot. That once again is not confirmed yet, but I suspect that will be the case.

"After that we probably won't need thresholds because the list will shorten considerably."

Blackman told Sky News: "The one thing that we're committed to do is to achieve getting to two candidates by Thursday 21 July.

Edited by trooper

As I was going around picking my dogs shit out of the garden this morning my mind immediately likened this painful job to picking a Tory Leader. Some logs pick up better than others and some soggy ones stuck to the grass. But at the end of the day its all just shit.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

So he’s refusing to publish them, as I suspected 

Yep, that's his leadership campaign fucked. Not even the Tories are that dense to elect someone suspect in the wake of all the scandal that's gone on.

15 minutes ago, trooper said:

Tory MP for Harrow East Bob Blackman, who is joint-executive secretary of the 1922 Committee, has said the threshold for support to enter the first round of the Conservative Party leadership race is likely to be 20.

He told Sky News: "The view is that candidates to get on the ballot paper should demonstrate a broad swathe of support amongst Conservative MPs.

"So we're looking at a proposer, a seconder and either 18 supporters or possibly more supporters in order to reduce that list.

He then says the "first ballot is likely to have a threshold of 10% of the votes, i.e. 36 MPs, supporting a candidate for them to go through to the second ballot. That once again is not confirmed yet, but I suspect that will be the case.

"After that we probably won't need thresholds because the list will shorten considerably."

Blackman told Sky News: "The one thing that we're committed to do is to achieve getting to two candidates by Thursday 21 July.

This almost feels like they know who they want and are they're manipulating the thresholds to ensure they get it, and quickly. 

I never like that populous shite. The best candidate should be considered based on their campaign and pledges they make, NOT how many fucking mongs are patting their backs in return for a crack at a ministerial job.  20 supporters, even from 358 MPs is a high threshold.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Craig said:

Yep, that's his leadership campaign fucked. Not even the Tories are that dense to elect someone suspect in the wake of all the scandal that's gone on.

I was taking the piss really. As I don’t see him having a realistic chance of winning 

I think it'll come down to Sunak vs Truss or Mordaunt. 

I think Truss/Mordaunt will end up winning cos the membership is largely 60+ white males. 

In terms of Labour's prospects against the three, I think Sunak and Truss are eminently beatable - him because he's dodgy, he's been Chancellor for the last 3 years, and he comes with Partygate/non-dom baggage, her because she's thick as pigshit.

Mordaunt is the one I really don't know much about. She might get by on that as long as she doesn't do anything stupid. 

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mordaunt is the one I really don't know much about. She might get by on that as long as she doesn't do anything stupid. 

She's been quite LGBT friendly in the past supposedly but now seems to be joining the rest in throwing the Ts under the bus to prove her anti-woke credentials. 

Even Hunt and Tugendhat have gone all out appease the nutters, supporting the Rwanda thing as another example. 

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

She's been quite LGBT friendly in the past supposedly but now seems to be joining the rest in throwing the Ts under the bus to prove her anti-woke credentials. 

Even Hunt and Tugendhat have gone all out appease the nutters, supporting the Rwanda thing as another example. 

This is what happens when you have 200,000 old white men deciding the next Prime Minister of the U.K.

Apparently Starmer bought his Mam some land so she could use it for a donkey sanctuary and the Heil is trying to use this against him. Claiming it is worth £10m (according to them) even though it’s green belt land without planning permission. This is one of the papers that sat on the story about Johnson protecting a sexual predator 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Wasn't that a 'scandal' about two years ago?

Maybe it was but it’s doing the rounds on Twitter. I haven’t actually seen links to the article, just screenshots of it. 

Edited by Alex