Politics

Christmas Tree

A couple with two children where one works and the other cannot would receive £17 a week on £30,000 or £900* a year approx.

*2015-2016, obviously they'll now get nothing next April, most on a lower income will lose at least £1,300 a year. The gain they'll get from paying less paye is a pittance compared to that loss.

There's a big difference though between where one parent is choosing to earn £30k, which is a very decent salary, while their partner stays at home and a situation where you have two parents working hard to scrape £30k between them.

There's a big difference though between where one parent is choosing to earn £30k, which is a very decent salary, while their partner stays at home and a situation where you have two parents working hard to scrape £30k between them.

You're assuming the other can work.

We're expecting to lose £1,300 plus next year in tax credits, FWIW. 'Luckily' for me I'm expecting to go on a new, more anti-social shift pattern that will just about match that loss from next year, the extra pay rise is supposed to compensate us for the extra hours worked/night shift/weekend working we have to do but not now of course, I'll just be standing still. Others won't be so lucky.

There may well be a difference, but imo, a family income of £30,000 shouldn't be getting topped up by benefits.

Ok, that's a valid point, even though it isn't being topped up by the amount you're inferring. What about those on an income far less than that that are losing at least the same amount?

£30,000 income and getting £4815 a year on tax credits?

Nee wonder the cunts can afford all those 50" plasma tv's.

I'm clearly missing out on some benefit or other that I should be claiming! (Not entitled to anything from anyone apparently)

I'm clearly missing out on some benefit or other that I should be claiming! (Not entitled to anything from anyone apparently)

Well there is more unclaimed benefits than benefits obtained by fraud. (Obviously not including tax avoiding fraud which dwarfs the benefit fraud but is obviously a lower priority for some reason?)

Ok, that's a valid point, even though it isn't being topped up by the amount you're inferring. What about those on an income far less than that that are losing at least the same amount?

I'm not inferring anything. I just copied and pasted the table from HMRC.

As for the principal of making employers to pay a higher wage and stop the welfare subsidising low wages, I think it's sensible.

As to what a family income should be before welfare kicks in, that's open to debate. My situation is 3 kids at home and between me and the wife we take home approx 21 - 22 thousand.

We pay a mortgage, eat etc and get by. Child benefit and tax credits help, but we'd still get by without them. There's probably 1000 more deserving causes where that money would do more good such as poor pensioners or old people who need care at home.

I don't know all your circumstances but you did say you were mortgage free so maybe you have other expenses and it's tougher for you.

I wouldn't for one minute call you a scrounger as this is just money that Government chose to give you. It's obviously going to effect some more than others.

It was just a well meaning idea that just got way out of hand.

As for the principal of making employers to pay a higher wage and stop the welfare subsidising low wages, I think it's sensible.

So do I, but as HMHM is saying, its not happening at his place, he's having to make up the difference by changing his shift pattern, a pretty good example of what the government's policy really is i.e. "whip them till they drop"...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/05/hunt-tax-credit-cuts-make-britons-work-like-chinese-or-americans

Edited by PaddockLad

So do I, but as HMHM is saying, its not happening at his place, he's having to make up the difference by changing his shift pattern, a pretty good example of what the government's policy really is i.e. "whip them till they drop"...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/05/hunt-tax-credit-cuts-make-britons-work-like-chinese-or-americans

I know it ain't a perfect world and some people get more / less than others, but whichever party is in power there is only a set amount coming in unless they borrow extra.

Imo, there's more deserving needs in the country for that money than topping up the wages of somebody on £20,000 a year. (I'm not talking about HMHM btw, I'm talking in general).