Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

There will actually be some positives with Brexit. Surely. They'll pale in comparison to the negatives, but there must actually be some benefits...

So let’s assume that an EU associate deal is tied up and we continue to have free access to the SM and the chaps that are paid the big bucks sort out the customs issues etc.

What negatives of Brexit will effect you?

The positives are clear. We will be able to set up free trade deals around the world, we’ll be a more democratic country and will have an immigration policy that works best for the economy and the workforce.

I struggle to see how YOUR day to day existence will be worse?

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

So let’s assume that an EU associate deal is tied up and we continue to have free access to the SM and the chaps that are paid the big bucks sort out the customs issues etc.

The positives are clear. We will be able to set up free trade deals around the world, we’ll be a more democratic country and will have an immigration policy that works best for the economy and the workforce.

If we get single market access with freedom of movement, I agree. Although if we do that then we may as well not have bothered with the whole thing.

I like freedom of movement CT. I use it a lot and aspired to be able to move overseas one day. Now I'm not saying that if Brexit was going to deliver a great deal for people more hard up than me, that we should stay in the EU just for my freedom of movement. But with the absence of any tangible evidence of living standards likely to rise, I feel it is acceptable for me to complain.

Did you see the report Renton linked to a few weeks back about how the treasury concluded that households would be about £4k/annum worse off? I'll feel that.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Let us assume..... :lol:

CT, you still haven't given an example of this mythical cake and eat it associate membership that you claim has happened many times before. 

Here's a clue. Do some research on the WTO, specifically on WTO rules for non-descrimination and MFN. After you've done that, perhaps you can answer how the EU, even whenf it wanted to, could bypass WTO rules. 

Also, are you tong to answer the concern about our imminent loss of all trade deals with third countries? After 7 years of negotiation with Canada, there is finally a deal agreed with the EU. We are going to lose that deal in 18 months with no capacity to make a new one. Trudeau wasn't bothered, he's still got access to 500 million Europeans after all. 

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

There will actually be some positives with Brexit. Surely. They'll pale in comparison to the negatives, but there must actually be some benefits...

When asked this, Farage's first declaration was blue passports. Seriously. 

10 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So let’s 1 assume  that an EU associate deal is tied up and we continue to have free access to the SM and the chaps that are paid the big bucks sort out the customs issues etc.

The positives are clear. 2 We will be able to set up free trade deals around the world, 3 we’ll be a more democratic country and 4 will have an immigration policy that works best for the economy and the workforce.

1, Assume, you fucking moron.

2, Do you understand how FREE TRADE works, this will not happen as no one gives a fuck about a small country 

3, No we won't, the most undemocratic thing about Britain is not the EU it is the first past the post system and the house of lords.

4, Is that the immigration policy which will cause the collapse in the fruit and veg industry or the one that will cripple the NHS?

Just now, NJS said:

When asked this, Farage's first declaration was blue passports. Seriously. 

It goes without saying what we all think of him, but I can't get my head around how someone can campaign for what he did, and then fuck off into the sunset to rile up the yanks.

Why isn't he here, sorting this out? This was literally the reason for his political existence.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If we get single market access with freedom of movement, I agree. Although if we do that then we may as well not have bothered with the whole thing.

I like freedom of movement CT. I use it a lot and aspired to be able to move overseas one day. Now I'm not saying that if Brexit was going to deliver a great deal for people more hard up than me, that we should stay in the EU just for my freedom of movement. But with the absence of any tangible evidence of living standards likely to rise, I feel it is acceptable for me to complain.

Did you see the report Renton linked to a few weeks back about how the treasury concluded that households would be about £4k/annum worse off? I'll feel that.

1. The way in which you have used freedom of movement won’t change, nor will your ability to move abroad.

2. The treasury said a lot of things that have already been shown to be false / scare stories.

Its pretty self evident that as soon as we move on to stage 2 of the negotiations (along with interest rates starting to rise next month), then our economy will rise pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

If city passporting  is ended then mine and the jobs of thousands of well paid, easily transferable , huge tax contributing people will be at risk.

Funnily it hasn't been mentioned since before the talks started.

Talking about impacting on people's lives CT, what negative impact did the EU have on yours? See, I've yet to hear a single example on how the EU impacted negatively on anyone's life or affected our sovereignty in any way. 

Just ONE example please, maybe VAT on your tampons? 

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It goes without saying what we all think of him, but I can't get my head around how someone can campaign for what he did, and then fuck off into the sunset to rile up the yanks.

Why isn't he here, sorting this out? This was literally the reason for his political existence.

He was there at the EU yesterday, criticising them for not intervening in Catalonia. I shit you not. 

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

1. The way in which you have used freedom of movement won’t change, nor will your ability to move abroad.

2. The treasury said a lot of things that have already been shown to be false / scare stories.

Its pretty self evident that as soon as we move on to stage 2 of the negotiations (along with interest rates starting to rise next month), then our economy will rise pretty quickly.

Explain the economics behind rising interest rates causing an economy to rise. 

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

The treasury intervened with massive QE. We are witnessing a slow, protracted death. Longest decline in living standards in 200 years. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

He was there at the EU yesterday, criticising them for not intervening in Catalonia. I shit you not. 

What the fuck does he know about Catalonia? Why is anyone listening to this weapon ffs!!

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What the fuck does he know about Catalonia? Why is anyone listening to this weapon ffs!!

It's more the rank hypocrisy that gets me. He's spent decades wailing about how the EU interferes too much in sovereign countries. Now he's wailing because ......  they haven't interfered in a domestic matter in a sovereign country. 

20 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Let's assume that unicorns exist and we can spin their shit into gold to prop up the economy. 

Tomorrow morning, I am taking the razor blade to my bumper sticker and removing it. 

Wait, is there any proof unicorns do not shite rainbows?

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Let us assume..... :lol:

CT, you still haven't given an example of this mythical cake and eat it associate membership that you claim has happened many times before. 

Here's a clue. Do some research on the WTO, specifically on WTO rules for non-descrimination and MFN. After you've done that, perhaps you can answer how the EU, even whenf it wanted to, could bypass WTO rules. 

Also, are you tong to answer the concern about our imminent loss of all trade deals with third countries? After 7 years of negotiation with Canada, there is finally a deal agreed with the EU. We are going to lose that deal in 18 months with no capacity to make a new one. Trudeau wasn't bothered, he's still got access to 500 million Europeans after all. 

1. There’s plenty of EU associate deals of different arrangements already in place (feel free to research them). This has already been suggested as the likely solution from the EU.

2. As for the WTO, this really is a minor surmountable issue as detailed here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-38658025

3. Third country deals. We could easily combine the EU’s 3rd party deals in our associate agreement if we wanted, however it may well be that we prefer to do our own. 

Remember, we are one of the worlds biggest economies and virtually everyone, particularly in the fast growing economies are desperate to deal with us.

13 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

1. There’s plenty of EU associate deals of different arrangements already in place (feel free to research them). This has already been suggested as the likely solution from the EU.

2. As for the WTO, this really is a minor surmountable issue as detailed here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-38658025

3. Third country deals. We could easily combine the EU’s 3rd party deals in our associate agreement if we wanted, however it may well be that we prefer to do our own. 

Remember, we are one of the worlds biggest economies and virtually everyone, particularly in the fast growing economies are desperate to deal with us.

Sigh. Name me ONE example of 1). There aren't any. The closest examples would be EFTA countries but these have to accept FOM and de facto ECJ, as well as contribute to the EU budget. All red lines for May. EFTA don't share the EU's trade deals with third countries btw, so idea 3) is also unprecedented.

I love the fact you didn't even try to hide your frantic google search btw. Most international trade lawyers think WTO will be a major issue in the short term at least. Still, you know best.

Fuck it, you're an idiot. Wish we had a sensible brexiter to add to the discussion. 

Edited by Renton

13 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: not think Brexit might impact that, like? Especially if your magic solution doesn’t bear fruit? SPOILER: It won’t